Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

19 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Apparently we play 2nd from Group A if we win our group, which looks extremely winnable. Can already see a million social media posts about us not deserving our run due to it being easy.

Nah mate, group of death innit.

As an England fan who also supports Wales, I’m pleased they both get a group they can get through (if Wales qualify), but I hate England vs Wales games.

It’s a good draw for Wales, but a shame it wasn’t Brazil or Argentina in the England spot so they get that big World Cup game against non Euro giants and a group they can get out of.

Not there wasn’t all the pressure anyway, but it ramps it up for Scotland/Ukraine and Wales as it’s not just getting to the World Cup but a group of non death.

Mainly that they've only played one non-Asian side in the last two and a half years, so they've a string of victories propelling them up the charts rather than being tested against strong sides and holding their own.

In addition, they play more competitive matches than European teams do, so they win more matches that hold greater weight, although this can be countered somewhat by the poorer ranking of their opponents.

It's a somewhat difficult situation - how do you determine an accurate joint ranking of two separate groups of teams, who only face each other competitively every four years? Then repeat for the other confederations. 

1 hour ago, skadupuk said:

Last game against (possibly) Scotland or Wales where points are likely to be critical for at least one team?

Best Tuesday night takings ever for pubs in the relevent nations I reckon.

Except Iran, obvs.  

Pleased with the draw though and as much as I have sympathy with Ukraine right now, I’d love to see Scotland vs Wales in the playoff final.  The group is fairly open too, you’d imagine it’s England + one other and each of the other sides in the group would fancy their chances.  

32 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

I can't wait for Qatar v Ecuador, early dart for that one if its a work day

What job do you have where 10am is an early start?

Unless, you did mean early dart, and you work at a Bullseye themed museum, in which case comment respectfully rescinded!

Villa v Wolves and Villa are playing Sanson and Bailey, and Ings nowhere to be seen.

This'll end well. Sanson got thrown out in the cold by Gerrard after a badly misplaced pass lead to a goal after which he was immediately subbed and wasn't happy about it, and Bailey has been injured all season and Gerrard doesn't really play with wingers.

Definitely a car crash coming.

Even with all the difficulty sliders set to “Easy” I’d forgotten how determinedly cynical Man City’s defensive strategy is. After all, why challenge for a header when you can stand there, wait for the other guy to jump and then clutch your face in an “accidental collision”.

I genuinely have no idea when an assistant referee is supposed to raise his flag any more.

Two City players offside force a defender to head it behind. Decision corner.

Ale clears off the line from Cornet but the latter was a yard off five seconds earlier before he even had the ball. 

1 minute ago, layten said:

Bet we are still last on MOTD.

No way. That’s gotta be first up or at worst second. 

What a fantastic result!

I think we might just be safe now. 

3 minutes ago, layten said:

Bet we are still last on MOTD.

Not a chance, should be first with that result and Eriksen scoring. But will probably be third after Liverpool Watford / Burnley Man City.

4 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

History made as Swansea become the first team to win both South Wales derbies in a season. 7-0 on aggregate. It’s saved an underwhelming season and given us eternal bragging rights. 

That it’s the first double is an incredible stat.

10 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

History made as Swansea become the first team to win both South Wales derbies in a season. 7-0 on aggregate. It’s saved an underwhelming season and given us eternal bragging rights. 

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm walking back to car now, but I can't process it properly except I've never seen a more pathetic spineless performance from us.  If you were Fulham this season it wouldn't have been remotely acceptable.

Given we also broke our record  for consecutive losses this season then this is literally the worst season ever.

Sack Morrison and play the under 23s for the rest of the season.