Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Burnley 0 Manchester City 2

Less a Premier League game, more a case of everyone fulfilling a contractual obligation. After Burnley made a bright start, De Bruyne scores with less than five minutes on the clock and that is pretty much that as far as any tension or entertainment went. Burnley did alright but the feeling that even if everything wasn’t structurally stacked against them nothing was going to change the end result didn’t go away.

Forgotten how cynical Man City’s defensive strategy is. If they don’t foul you, they’ll either fail to jump for a ball and claim they were hit in the face accidentally or just simply stop in stride to get knocked over. I’d love to say Craig Pawson was dumb enough to fall for it but he isn’t, it was just your standard top four refereeing performance. The second richest club in the world know where they can always get cheap free kicks.

Pep complained about the pitch after but you know he was just going through the motions.

So are Burnley as relegation finally beckons. I’ll miss some things about the Premier League but the soulless void that will be this year’s champions is not one of them

2 hours ago, glb said:

Are Tyler and Neville aware that Leicester are also playing tonight? First half was like listening to a lament by MUTV.

I actually love watching Neville lament about Man Utd, same with Scholes on BT, great stuff, wont ever get old

41 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

I actually love watching Neville lament about Man Utd, same with Scholes on BT, great stuff, wont ever get old

Fair point. It is funny hearing Tyler trying to muster enthusiasm when they concede. It’s like he’s forgotten the last decade and still thinks Sky has to cosy up to Ferguson and United. The daft old berk actually said, “Ralfie time” at one point.

Leicester should have won handsomely. Without De Gea Man U would be mid-table now, instead of in a few seasons time.

Brilliant from Brentford today, hopefully thats them safe now. 

Penalty in the Aston Villa game a bit sketchy wasn't it? Watkins clatters into Sa and is rewarded a Penalty for it, hmm, dunno about that 

Burnley :hmm:

I have no idea why Liverpool fans think we are ever going to cause Man City problems. Since we drew 1-1 in Sep 2018, we’ve lost every match by a combined total of 34-1.

I genuinely think Pep took that draw very, very personally.

11 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I have no idea why Liverpool fans think we are ever going to cause Man City problems. Since we drew 1-1 in Sep 2018, we’ve lost every match by a combined total of 34-1.

Wishful thinking innit, never expected anything from it but would have been nice 

28 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I didn’t expect anything from your lot today :)

Wednesday night, however…

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

Really delighted with Celtic today. Daizen Maeda is like the terminator. Never stops, always seems to appear around the play like an extra man.

Sloppy as fuck but still got the win. Brilliant! 👌

4 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Tactics are fine though. It's the players. They were shit when I got here. 

He's been very keen to mention this whenever given the chance. Will he ever admit anything might be his fault? Also what was the point of signing Dele?

5 hours ago, layten said:

I watched the Rangers v Celtic match earlier. Rangers should be playing their next few games behind closed doors. Shocking scenes.

The fixture has kind of been spoilt by the huge reduction in away allocation. However the sound of enraged silence when Celtic score at Ibrox is swiftly becoming one of my favourite things.

11 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

He's been very keen to mention this whenever given the chance. Will he ever admit anything might be his fault? Also what was the point of signing Dele?

I think Uncle Harry told him that it was a good idea. Maybe if Lampard had some of the man management ability Harry has then it would have been. 

On 02/04/2022 at 22:59, Azrael said:

Penalty in the Aston Villa game a bit sketchy wasn't it? Watkins clatters into Sa and is rewarded a Penalty for it, hmm, dunno about that 

Last week, our centre forward collides with their keeper.  Result?  Foul on the keeper - red card for our attacker.

This week, their centre forward collides with our keeper.  Result? Foul on the centre forward - penalty.

Neither was a foul - the inconsistencies are getting more frustrating by the week.

Anyway, it didn't detract too much from a very, very satisfactory result for us.  Living in the Black Country, Villa fans have had bragging rights over everyone else (local, that is - glory hunters do not count) so it's nice to do the double over them.

26 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Last week, our centre forward collides with their keeper.  Result?  Foul on the keeper - red card for our attacker.

This week, their centre forward collides with our keeper.  Result? Foul on the centre forward - penalty.

Neither was a foul - the inconsistencies are getting more frustrating by the week.

Anyway, it didn't detract too much from a very, very satisfactory result for us.  Living in the Black Country, Villa fans have had bragging rights over everyone else (local, that is - glory hunters do not count) so it's nice to do the double over them.

The ref couldn't wait to give that penalty on Saturday.  We should have been out of sight by then really though.

On 02/04/2022 at 23:33, Plissken said:

Because you always make us suffer (even when we win its always a tough match) and we're just hopeful you might have one of those games against City.

That's a function of the two different playing styles though.  Liverpool try to make the game chaotic (not sure that is the right word) and use their speed to overwhelm.  A team like Burnley can sit back a little and not commit.  Man City are much slower, much more pre-planned and they will wait for the opportunity to slice you apart with short passing.  That's going to kill even the most organised of teams which is why they can put five past teams as the opposition open up to chase the game.  In short, if City need a goal, they'll slow down and if Liverpool need a goal they'll speed up.