Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

My first thought is Edouard at Celtic. It seems he’s been keen to move to the Premier League for a year or two and mid table clubs with a bit of money seem the most likely destination.  Pure speculation obviously, but Southampton and Celtic have done business before and maybe it’s one of those deals where having the right contacts in your phone book can be what makes things happen.  If I had more followers on Twitter I’d probably see if I could start that as a rumour. 😅

8 hours ago, Adrock said:

Southampton need to unearth a seriously good striker to replace Ings, they must have been planning for this eventuality because it was pretty obvious early last season.

This post but "Spurs" and "Kane".

Bit of a backlash towards this from fans:

'this is for the fans'? Bollocks. It's for crypto traders to make money off fans. 

I think arsenal are doing the same, and some European teams  Has anyone got involved in these things? I'm hoping it goes the way of Football Index. 

have we not learnt yet there is literally no depth almost any football club will not sink to in order to try and fleece their fans out of a few quid more. 

it's a rotten and dirty business to the core off the field dressed up in an almost Saville like cloak of charity work, community engagement and knee taking to hide the ugly side.

Yeah this is happening isn't it?  Crypto currencies and all the mystifying ephemeral money-making things like NFTs will infiltrate football, and all it will mean is that five years down the line some club will suddenly find themselves in terrible financial trouble while some guy somewhere in the world makes off with hundreds of millions.  I very much doubt that the people running the clubs actually understand this stuff, but they'll scramble to get a piece of it. 

Surprised Ings made the jump to Villa, it is a slight step up from Southampton but though he might of held out for Spurs if Kane had been sold.

Bird in the hand though innit? The Villa offer was on the table and I don’t think anybody knows where Kane will be playing next season yet, least of all Danny Ings. Even then there’s no guarantee Spurs would be interested so is Ings then sitting by his phone at five to midnight on deadline day hoping for a miracle?  I didn’t think he’d end up at Villa but I’m delighted we got someone of his class. There will be no resale value (Ings was 29 last week) but if he’s still got three good seasons in him then that’s probably all we need.   

Yeah, it’s not really a step up either, more like a side step, Villa struggle a lot if Grealish goes City so could end up in another relegation fight next season. Unless contract is much better I don’t see why he wouldn’t wait out for a club that can offer European football. 

Grealish to Citeh is done. We're a stronger squad regardless - Buendia is better than what we had, Bailey is better than what we had, Ings is vastly better, even Young is a better option than Neil bloody Taylor. And o doubt we're done - we need a CB, at least 1 CM...

Aye. I think Villa are still going to be looking at improving on last season’s 55 points. The prospect of Grealish leaving has been very real in three of the past four summers (I think the only time he was absolutely nailed on to stay was the first season after promotion) so the club have had plenty of time to prepare for his departure.  Are any of the players we bought in better than Grealish? Of course not, but will the three big signings give us more than we lose without Jack? The jury is still out but I’d like to think so.  

Further begs the question, why the hell didn’t Barcelona  just sell him in January? He’d put a transfer request in, there was a potential bidding war and they were in deep shit financially. Now he leaves for free.  I know there was an election on, did Joan Laporta base his campaign around a bus with a picture of Messi on the side or something? 

4 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'm going to follow my heart and fulfil my dream of joining my boyhood club, a state owned outfit from Oman or somewhere who's name escapes me at the moment.

It's Messi, not Robbie Keane.

Just now, Plissken said:

It’s a neat solution all round really. Barcelona never sold him, he never demanded to leave, it was all the pesky league’s fault.

Fans will believe anything if it suits them, won’t  they? 

12 minutes ago, Adrock said:

I reckon City get Messi and then don't sign Kane. Will make Kane look very stupid if that happens.

Kane is praying Messi goes to PSG.