Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

The Ev are calling for Duncan Ferguson. He has been the one constant throughout all of this. He could be part of the problem.

Let’s not do this again. We know exactly who the problem is, who has been overriding the transfer policy and recommendations from the DoF and Scouts, who has been letting Kia Joorabchian’s clients in the club, who has been burning money with the help of his oligarch friends to the point where the club couldn’t recruit players to get them out of the mess it is in due to FFP.

We know who it is and he owns the majority of the clubs shares.

The club is doomed on and off the pitch. Even without the injuries the squad isn’t even that good on paper. That didn’t happen over night and it is not the coaching staff who made it that way.

If Everton lose tomorrow, then even the absolute best case scenario before they play again a week and a half later would see Norwich only 4 points behind them with Watford still 3 points behind them and Burnley 1 point behind. Then they'd be 6 points behind Newcastle, 8 points behind Leeds and 11 behind Brentford.

And with Watford vs Burnley to come at the end of April. They are guaranteed to slip into relegation if they don't pick up some points from somewhere before then (and the teams around them lose all their games). Everton have to play Leicester Home and Away, Chelsea at home and Liverpool away.

Then - May 11th is Watford vs Everton!!!!

They won't be able to bank on all the other teams not picking up any points. They need at least a win and a coule of draws before that Watford game.

There was a time when if a team was struggling and starting to sink, and they looked at the fixture list and saw Manchester United next up, they would despair.  I reckon these days it gives them hope.  It might be the easiest game in their run-in.

15 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

There was a time when if a team was struggling and starting to sink, and they looked at the fixture list and saw Manchester United next up, they would despair.  I reckon these days it gives them hope.  It might be the easiest game in their run-in.

You would normally rely on a Goodison crowd to help with that one but the atmosphere seems too toxic enough right now.

15 hours ago, bradigor said:

The Ev are calling for Duncan Ferguson. He has been the one constant throughout all of this. He could be part of the problem.

Said it previously but Everton had no chance of being relegated with Rafa. He was navigating the team through a difficult period with injuries etc and was still picking up the odd point, they would have improved once players started returning. Since Lampard came in it’s been absolute free fall, has to be one of the worst records so far for a new manager at a club. I wonder what his methods are to make such a dogs dinner of the situation? If Everton get relegated I can’t see his managerial reputation at the top level ever recovering. 

If we are to believe second hand accounts and the Digne situation the word was Rafa had not won the players over at all and based on the training videos after he was sacked the players were happy to see the back of him.

Lampard has been a terrible managerial signing but the fans never asked for him, they just absolutely did not want Kia Joorabchiann convincing Moshiri that his client should be the new Everton manager and as monkey paws go fans were willing to try anything but that.

The only silver lining about Lampard is that you can visibility tell he is feeling many of the same emotions that the fans are. It’s a sad state of affairs when the best thing you can take is that the man can’t hide that he is pissed off.

Just now, Dig Dug said:

If we are to believe second hand accounts and the Digne situation the word was Rafa had not won the players over at all and based on the training videos after he was sacked the players were happy to see the back of him.

Lampard has been a terrible managerial signing but the fans never asked for him, they just absolutely did not want Kia Joorabchiann convincing Moshiri that his client should be the new Everton manager and as monkey paws go fans were willing to try anything but that.

The only silver lining about Lampard is that you can visibility tell he is feeling many of the same emotions that the fans are. It’s a sad state of affairs when the best thing you can take is that the man can’t hide that he is pissed off.

That's probably more to do with the fact he sees his chances of managing a higher-tier club fall further away with every defeat. There's no doubt he viewed Everton as a stepping stone to try and get back up the ladder.

Plus nobody else really wanted him, of course. 

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Burnley have to play Villa twice yet, so you can add 6 points to their tally.

Id take that if it sent Everton down.  No gripes against Everton in particular, but football usually over promises and under delivers. The same three or four clubs always fucking win, the same half dozen yo-yo at the other end. UEFA are trying their hardest to turn The Champions League into a closed shop to the point where they’ve proposed giving extra lives to their friends just incase some other club does somehow actually manage to get a squad together capable of qualifying honestly. 

A big club going down for a year will probably be the most interesting thing to happen since Leicester won the league.  At least it will be something to talk about.  

In other news Liverpool have just bought Carvalho off of Fulham for £5m.  That feels like a piss take of a fee. 

32 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Id take that if it sent Everton down.  No gripes against Everton in particular, but football usually over promises and under delivers. The same three or four clubs always fucking win, the same half dozen yo-yo at the other end. UEFA are trying their hardest to turn The Champions League into a closed shop to the point where they’ve proposed giving extra lives to their friends just incase some other club does somehow actually manage to get a squad together capable of qualifying honestly. 

A big club going down for a year will probably be the most interesting thing to happen since Leicester won the league.  At least it will be something to talk about.  

In other news Liverpool have just bought Carvalho off of Fulham for £5m.  That feels like a piss take of a fee. 

I've nothing against Everton, I kinda feel like the top flight should have Everton in it. But I'd want them to go down for similar reasons, it'll be interesting. And if they do a Leeds and stay down for a while Villa might leapfrog them for the most seasons in the top flight. On the other hand the famous stat of the most played fixture would be under threat...

But yeah, ideally Everton go down. It's the only interesting thing that can happen.

45 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

That's because it is a piss take of a fee. I'd assume there'd be some deal that we'll definitely get Nico Williams back for a reduced cost once we've secured promotion but Fulham tend to have a bit of a habit of nurturing talent and not being able to actually get any money for them when it comes down to it because they refuse to sign new contracts. I like Carvalho though, he's absolutely torn up the Championship a good few times this season and under Klopp could go onto be something really special. Hopefully he'll be more of a Harvey Elliot than a Patrick Roberts, anyway!

Wasn't a higher fee agreed back in January, too, or did I imagine that? Seems a great bit of business for Liverpool, I'm happy about that.

It might involve something around Williams too (possibly another loan rather than a sale?) He needs to be playing regular football and learning his trade and I think he's doing that well at the Cottage.