Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Just now, Danster said:

Weak red card. This ref has been a bit naff.

A bit? This is the ref that Bellingham scolded due to him having been involved in match fixing before. How he's still reffing I have no idea. Twice now he's stopped play due to a Lyon player staying down after a 'foul' and neither of them were head injuries.

We'll do well to keep it level but I feel a 0-2 loss coming up. We've not been good regardless, carrying too many players.

2 minutes ago, Scruff said:

This is the ref that Bellingham scolded due to him having been involved in match fixing before

Didn't know that. That paints a very different picture. 

On 06/04/2022 at 22:40, layten said:

Apart from Everton fans, is there anyone who doesn't find the prospect of ol' Frank relegating them hilarious? :lol: 

Turns out the Utd players can be added to that list.

On 07/04/2022 at 10:17, feltmonkey said:

There was a time when if a team was struggling and starting to sink, and they looked at the fixture list and saw Manchester United next up, they would despair.  I reckon these days it gives them hope.  It might be the easiest game in their run-in.

Spot on!

"Lads, it's Man U"

It's not to be talked about in the press, but outside of the top three, this years Premier League is very low quality.  Of the pretenders to the last CL place, Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham are absolutely not very good.  Man United are barely a team, Spurs are Spurs and Arsenal are more lightweight than a carrier bag in a breeze. The fact that no other team can get a sniff of fourth place is very carefully not talked about in case it reveals some truths about how the PL works.

17 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Arsenal really want to want to gift-wrap 4th for Tottenham, don't they?

We lost the one player who is pretty much irreplaceable in the way we play, Partay. Hard to see us finish in the top 6 now. Doing no transfer business at Christmas was a massive risk that isn’t working out. 

2 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

We lost the one player who is pretty much irreplaceable in the way we play, Partay. Hard to see us finish in the top 6 now. Doing no transfer business at Christmas was a massive risk that isn’t working out. 

I thought everybody hated him last season and a lot of this season too (from my occasional dips into the Arsenal thread)? Is he actually playing well now?

3 minutes ago, Plissken said:

It's not to be talked about in the press, but outside of the top three, this years Premier League is very low quality.  Of the pretenders to the last CL place, Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham are absolutely not very good.  Man United are barely a team, Spurs are Spurs and Arsenal are more lightweight than a carrier bag in a breeze. The fact that no other team can get a sniff of fourth place is very carefully not talked about in case it reveals some truths about how the PL works.

West Ham still have an outside chance, though I think they'll run out of steam before the end. 

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

I thought everybody hated him last season and a lot of this season too (from my occasional dips into the Arsenal thread)? Is he actually playing well now?

He got sent off in his first match back from Afcon. But since then he’s been one of our best players along with Saka and Odegard. The stats are hard to dispute - 66% win rate when he’s in the team, 30-ish% when he’s not. 

25 minutes ago, Plissken said:

The fact that no other team can get a sniff of fourth place is very carefully not talked about in case it reveals some truths about how the PL works.

:hmm:

I don't expect us to get it but we've been around it all season, give or take. Not bad considering we don't buy players and we've had two games a week for pretty much the whole season compared to Arsenal (not even counting their poor injury I mean suspensions I mean covid troubles).