Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

4 hours ago, Pants McSkill said:

I hate to ask the obvious, but with the (dubious) exception of Villareal owner Fernando Roig, which of the last 8 teams would that be?

I realise the state of club ownership across most top tier leagues, it wasn’t specifically aimed at the last 8 of the CL just that they were out and the manner.

It’s Just frustrating that it had to be shit behaviour / dark arts / cheating / whatever that dumped ATM.

And I thought Root stepping down as England captain would be the biggest news of the day!

You can't say it hasn't been coming/deserved based on form, because Burnley have been awful and that Norwich game was a real blow. You look at their remaining 8 games and, honestly, I struggle to see them getting points from any of them (even Watford). I don't think a new manager changes that view either.

I'm generally inured to clubs making mad sackings but that has shocked me. What the hell do they expect to achieve? He's worked wonders at that club considering the resources available. Timing is absurd too, any new manager has no time at all to make an impression on the team and turn things around.

Bizarre. If a club like Everton had any sense they'd immediately appoint him, but they don't.

Unless they've got a miraculous option lined up this is a desperation move that I doubt is going to work... That Burnley team is not good and has punched above it's weight for multiple seasons and this year it just looks like the sparks gone. A change with 8 games left just feels like wanting to appear like they've tried to do something.

Be interesting to see who they appoint.

If it’s a dinosaur manager (Big Sam, Claudio, Warnock, etc) to perform a great escape then they don’t know what they are doing.

If it’s someone half sensible that would be a good choice long term and to get them back up if they go down then feels like they reckon they are going down and want to make a change, but don’t want to risk Dyche keeping them up and then having to sack him?

That Norwich result was devastating. Defeat really only meant Norwich were dragging Burnley down with them.  After the euphoria of the Everton win I guess the Burnley board were expecting to be out of the bottom three this week given the respective opposition in the two clubs next fixtures. Maybe this is an emotional decision. It’s possibly like when Watford sacked Nigel Pearson during the 2019/20 run in. 

Dyche definitely deserved the sack. Net spend of £6m this year should have had them knocking on the Champions' League door. 

(Previous years net spend  £7m, £9m, £20m, -£13m). So £29m net spend across 5 years. Andy Carroll+£7m

That Norwich result was poor but you can't say the guy has had much help from the board.

31 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Dyche definitely deserved the sack. Net spend of £6m this year should have had them knocking on the Champions' League door. 

(Previous years net spend  £7m, £9m, £20m, -£13m). So £29m net spend across 5 years. Andy Carroll+£7m

That Norwich result was poor but you can't say the guy has had much help from the board.

Especially when you compare it to what Eddie Howe achieved with the money he spent at Bournemouth, he's now the Newcastle manager.

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Must be some kind of falling out behind the scenes otherwise WTF. 

It's a classic case of new owners with no clue whatsoever coming in and making idiotic decisions. 

I can't stand Sean Dyche personally, but he's done an incredible job at Burnley.  I doubt any other manager in the world would have been able to do what he has done. He's uniquely suited to getting just enough from a limited group of players to keep them in the Premier League. Sacking him is a ridiculous thing to do.

Sean Dyche is probably the managerial success story of the PL over the last few years. Given the lack of financial support, what he's managed has been nothing short of incredible. The results haven't been amazing of late but a constant refusal from the board to spend was gonna catch up with them eventually. I don't know what the survival plan is here.

I mean he might have lost his touch like Chris Hughton but I doubt it. 

8 hours ago, bradigor said:

That's a stupid decision to at this point of the season. 

Congratulations Everton on avoiding relegation 

Not so fast! Burnley apppint Rafa, he saves them while relegating Everton at the same time. It would be glorious. 

16 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Not so fast! Burnley apppint Rafa, he saves them while relegating Everton at the same time. It would be glorious. 

Yeah….. and that lottery ticket I bought earlier is going to win the jackpot 😂😂

both would of course be welcomed 😉

I was listening while driving as it came on the radio, channel radio x which doesn't have much news, when they kind of presented it as breaking news, with 'Burnley manager Sean Dyche has...' I genuinely thought they were going to say he's died. Would Everton take him if Lampard just about avoids relegation or are relegated, or would fans not feel inspired enough by that. I can appreciate a solid job spending almost no money but at the same time I dislike the low ceiling managers can set, always using it as an excuse to avoid daring to be ambitious and bold. As many teams have proved and Leeds are the most recent, you can play brilliant football regardless of what set of players you have. 

10 hours ago, Robsk1 said:

I realise the state of club ownership across most top tier leagues, it wasn’t specifically aimed at the last 8 of the CL just that they were out and the manner.

It’s Just frustrating that it had to be shit behaviour / dark arts / cheating / whatever that dumped ATM.

I can appreciate that. I'd love to see all the rule-bending eradicated, harsher punishments for diving, retrospective bans, etc.

If it helps, Man City played some excellent football in the first leg, without which they wouldn't be through.

17 minutes ago, Plissken said:

If I read one more comment about “net spend”… it’s an utterly meaningless number used by people who either don’t understand numbers or are deliberately obscuring things to push an agenda.

What if you happen across a really interesting story about fisherman and the cost of replacing their trawler equipment? Their net spend could be eye-opening.