Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

52 minutes ago, Plissken said:

If I read one more comment about “net spend”… it’s an utterly meaningless number used by people who either don’t understand numbers or are deliberately obscuring things to push an agenda.

As a Manchester United fan I agree!

Spoiler

BA32EE22-5AC7-4D15-9816-F5096B5211C9.jpeg.7e60e559374b58198a75b0e90cc8637e.jpeg

45 minutes ago, glb said:

What if you happen across a really interesting story about fisherman and the cost of replacing their trawler equipment? Their net spend could be eye-opening.

Ffs!! I saw that comment and was trawling my mind for a decent joke to cast out, unfortunately now I’m just fishing for puns 😳

4 hours ago, Plissken said:

If I read one more comment about “net spend”… it’s an utterly meaningless number used by people who either don’t understand numbers or are deliberately obscuring things to push an agenda.

I actually don’t understand why net spend isn’t relevant? Say a team sells their entire playing squad for £250m, then replaces them with a new squad for £300m, it makes more sense to know they spent £50m over the window rather than £300m? Because they have ‘added’ £50m worth of player to their squad, not £300m. It’s the difference between having a squad worth £550m instead of £300m. Which I think is really relevant to what the expectations for the team would be that season?

Thats obviously over simplified but I don’t think it’s meaningless at all.

I know I am biased but that has to be the clearest red card in a while. how you can stop, step back and swing your elbow at a player and not get sent off is absolutely ridiculous.    

Anyone watching see Kane get himself hurt again? Decided to challenge Sanchez for a high ball he'd never win. Pushed into the keeper who then fell onto Kane who awkwardly twisted his ankle. Stupid.

It is a surface stat.

Burnley’s new owners have a net spend of about £6m in the last year. It doesn’t tell you how many players in or out. It doesn’t tell you that one of those outs was a release clause and one of the ins was his replacement. It certainly doesn’t tell you that the other out was actually arranged almost two years ago and triggered by a promotion clause in the loan agreement negotiated by the previous owners. (So who should get credit for the income?)

Aston Villa have a net spend of £16m for the current season. How many in and how many out? Does it include Chambers and Coutinho?

In that example the club's FFP figures would probably list a transfer window like that as massively profitable not a £50 million deficit.

Net spend doesn't account for free transfers or the cost of wages. 

West Ham have a higher net spend than Liverpool over the past ten years but if you factored in the likelihood that Liverpool's wage bill was at least £100million higher each year then you'd get a truer reflection of each clubs financial clout.

Given how much talk there has been about FFP and various measures over the past ten years we really should have moved to using annual squad costs ( (Wages + Amortisation) - Transfer profits) as a way to compare club spending. 

Wages have always and will always be the best way to predict how the league table is going to look.  Net spend is easy to talk about but it’s often used by fans of clubs who have a settled side on big wages to suggest that their manager is somehow playing 4D chess.  

Wages can also highlight how well run a club is. Interesting that Man United and Everton, second and seventh* in terms of wages spent, are having relatively calamitous seasons.

Brentford are defying their position of having the lowest wage bill, which makes sense given the emphasis the club has put on using data smartly during their rise to the top flight. 

*some sites puts Man United top and Everton sixth, either way both clubs are underperforming in terms of outlay.

Michael Jackson is taking over Burnley while they look for a new manager. They've been far from Invincible all season, so I think they'll continue to be Bad. If he can get a reaction from the team though, the relegation battle could turn out to be a real Thriller.

Hopefully those idiots with smoke bombs get a 3 year ban. My mate who I go the football with is asthmatic, every time this happens in a football ground, he struggles to breathe. How do you get into Wembley with them? 

1 minute ago, neoELITE said:

Hopefully those idiots with smoke bombs get a 3 year ban. My mate who I go the football with is asthmatic, every time this happens in a football ground, he struggles to breathe. How do you get into Wembley with them? 

Happen much at Plymouth?

3 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Michael Jackson is taking over Burnley while they look for a new manager. They've been far from Invincible all season, so I think they'll continue to be Bad. If he can get a reaction from the team though, the relegation battle could turn out to be a real Thriller.

Something about playing the kids........ Nah, best not. 

49 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Happen much at Plymouth?

Yes. We get searched now before we go in. It's unpleasant to me but my mate really suffers when some idiot does this.

Does it happen in your room when you're watching football? 

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Yes. We get searched now before we go in. It's unpleasant to me but my mate really suffers when some idiot does this.

Does it happen in your room when you're watching football? 

Sometimes I fart but everyone likes their own brand don’t they?