IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

It's been more interesting to me this year than the Champions League, Villarreal's performance excepted.

Lincoln Red Imps qualifying for the group stage, Bodo beating Roma 6-1, Spurs losing to NS Mura, a nice spread across Europe right up to the last eight with sides from Norway, Greece and Czechia still challenging. Loads of fun.

Premier League Champions: Liverpool

Fourth spot:  Arsenal

Relegated: Norwich, Watford, Everton

FA Cup: Liverpool

Champions League: Liverpool / City*

Europe League: West Ham

Europa Conference: Feyenoord

* It'll be history vs history. The Quadruple vs A first European Cup. I can't decide who wins. 

Actually it'd be hilarious if it ends up Villareal vs Real Madrid. Unai doing for Villareal what Arsenal could never achieve.

Premier League Champions: City

Fourth spot:  Arsenal

Champions League: Liverpool

Europe League: RB Leipzig

Europa Conference: Roma

I cannot see City dropping any points in their remaining games, Arsenal are the least worst of the fourth place contenders.

26 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

😂😂

We can only dream of such excitement, after the shit fest at your gaff, I can't see this bring a classic.

Your fans are quite lively tonight though, might be some decent banter for a change.

We always get stitched up with shit refs.

A dull game regardless, fuck all to offer the neutral, unless something interesting happens in the second half I'd be on the phone to Sky for a refund.

26 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

We always get stitched up with shit refs.

A dull game regardless, fuck all to offer the neutral, unless something interesting happens in the second half I'd be on the phone to Sky for a refund.

Agree it isn’t a blockbuster but there is some interest with Leeds desperate for a win, given their next three games are likely to yield as many points as the UK usually gets at Eurovison.

Premier League Champions: Don't care

Fourth spot: Don't care

Relegated: Don't care (Everton is the interesting answer for the final spot though)

FA Cup: Don't care

Champions League: Anyone but Citeh, ideally one of the Spanish sides.

Europe League: Anyone but West Ham, preferably Frankfurt.

Europa Conference: Nobody cares, but anyone but Leicester.

36 minutes ago, glb said:

Agree it isn’t a blockbuster but there is some interest with Leeds desperate for a win, given their next three games are likely to yield as many points as the UK usually gets at Eurovison.

They didn't look desperate for a win though, we did nothing of note other than a couple of half chances, but they managed to do even less that.

Still, I'll have a comiseratoty beer on the way home (it's like a celebratory beer...well that's it really, I like a beer on the way home)

Looking at Everton’s remaining fixtures I think they get 8 points at best.  We are 5 clear, but with a naff goal difference so we still need a win and a draw I reckon.  

The problem is they ain’t coming from the next 3 games!!!

Premier League Champions: Man City

Fourth spot: Arsenal

Champions League: Liverpool

Europe League: RB Leipzig

Europa Conference: Roma

13 hours ago, skadupuk said:

They didn't look desperate for a win though, we did nothing of note other than a couple of half chances, but they managed to do even less that.

Yeah it was a pretty tepid game in the end. Marsch seemed happy enough at full-time although think that was a must-win based on their upcoming run. The slight caveat being both Arsenal and Chelsea have looked flakey at times so maybe those fixtures aren’t as bad as they look.

10 hours ago, Waggo said:

Looking at Everton’s remaining fixtures I think they get 8 points at best.  We are 5 clear, but with a naff goal difference so we still need a win and a draw I reckon.  

The problem is they ain’t coming from the next 3 games!!!

Yeah that goal difference is probably the loudest alarm bell. Always some quirky results at this stage of the season though, hopefully Leeds get what they need to avoid being caught by Everton.

Irrelevant stat attack!  (Was asked about this elsewhere.)  All for this season and taken from the official PL web site.

image.png.5c4af2e2952ed326319daae4265b7966.png

Leeds are only two off setting the all time PL record for yellow cards in a season (94 - Sunderland 2016/17)

Also no surprise that Man City are pretty big outliers in being the team that commits the most fouls per yellow card. How do they get away with it?

Edit - dammit, on the same wavelength as @dizogg. How will I ever live this down?  :P

17 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Premier League Champions: Manchester City 

Fourth spot:  Arsenal 

Relegated: Norwich, Watford, Leeds

Champions League: Madrid

Europa League: West Ham

Europa Conference: Leicester 

I may have to reconsider my predictions. Madrid are getting battered. 

Sometimes I wonder why the fuck I even like football, the team I support are shit and never win anything, England just constantly break my heart, but then a game like this happens and I just have to concede it’s the best damn sport on the planet. What a game. What a wonderful wonderful game.