IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Chelsea were absolutely awful but credit to Everton for accepting the gift and Pickford for saving the few chances Chelsea managed to create. Leeds are in trouble now.

8 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

I knew Lampard would get ‘mates rates’ from Chelsea, I wish I’d backed my instinct before kick off, Everton were 5/1

I had 25 quid on the Double at 2.2 as I thought Chelsea would go soft on them as well. 

Didn't think they would be as crap as it turned out they were though, otherwise it would have all been on Everton win!!!!!

Embarrassing performance today & does nothing for the integrity of the competition imo.  As I said earlier hope it ends up costing them a top 4 spot, as it certainly deserves to.

If you want to see an entitled fanbase in full flow, then Bielsa is trending on Twitter, where he is currently getting pelters from Leeds fans for *checks notes* ending their 16 year wait to get back into the Premier League.

11 hours ago, SeanR said:

why did they try to string that out?

He was in hospital last night, so I think the reports of him passing were probably just a bit premature. 

Edit - Oh no, he died yesterday, so that must have been Thursday night. 

I know they’ve been disrupted by the whole Abramovich thing but it’s hard to see what Chelsea’s plan is. They should have been seriously challenging this year but have dropped off ridiculously. The BBC premier league predictions makes interesting reading:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58141017.amp

Lots of predictions for them to win it but they’re currently as close in points to Wolves as they are Man City. Also overall Man Utd were predicted to finish higher than Liverpool :lol:

(Some of this might be due to the some of the idiots BBC hire, granted)

A lot of time and effort is spent by football people in very carefully not noticing that while the top two are probably the two best teams in the world (if not then definitely two of the top three), the other eighteen in the Premier League are Not Very Good At All.

Even after all these years I still can't help thinking of Captain Black from Captain Scarlet when I see Mikel Arteta

How is it that the clearly out of control 'keeper, who has studs raised and doesn't touch the ball gets away scot free but the other player who has to dive over the keeper to avoid having their leg broken gets booked for simulation. 

Thank fuck Mike Dean retires this season but that doesn't excuse VAR nor cockheads like Redknapp saying it was fine because there was "no contact".

image.thumb.png.78d56b2e7e87d538ca289104b5279f5b.png

That was amazing, second best goal in the FA Women's Championship yesterday. 

Saw it on twitter on our way home from Lewes.

Champions League semi final tonight, and I can't see anything other than a routine win for Liverpool.  They are just too good right now.  I think I said Madrid in my predictions for the winners of the season but Liverpool are clearly a better team than Madrid, it's just that they don't seem to be a bunch of jammy bastards like Real Madrid tend to be.  

7 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Champions League semi final tonight, and I can't see anything other than a routine win for Liverpool.  They are just too good right now.  I think I said Madrid in my predictions for the winners of the season but Liverpool are clearly a better team than Madrid, it's just that they don't seem to be a bunch of jammy bastards like Real Madrid tend to be.  

uh…

7 minutes ago, SeanR said:

uh…

For my next trick I predict that Villa won’t win the league and FA cup double next season, nor will a long lost uncle unexpectedly die and leave me a four bedroom house in St John’s Wood.  

I guess any of the three can win the Champions League now.  All of them are capable of beating each other in a one-off match.  Man City have the greatest depth but Liverpool tore them apart in the FA Cup and Real are past masters of grinding out a result and Benzema's having a halcyon season.  They're all very good sides and taking Bayern out of the equation, it felt inevitable these three would end up being the three who can win it. 

I've not watched much Champions League this season, maybe I should as some of the results have been 'entertaining'.

Liverpool probably deserve it though, they've been immense for most of the season - as much as it pains me to say it. 

Abramovich wants his £1.6bn loan back.

Which made me realise something.  Under his ownership, Chelsea have won two Champions Leagues, five Premier Leagues, five FA Cups, three League Cups, two Europa Leagues and a Club World Cup.  As one of the biggest clubs in England, they will have got the majority of the TV and prize money that there was to win, as well as the associated huge sponsorship deals.

And he still lost around £80m a year.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Abramovich wants his £1.6bn loan back.

Which made me realise something.  Under his ownership, Chelsea have won two Champions Leagues, five Premier Leagues, five FA Cups, three League Cups, two Europa Leagues and a Club World Cup.  As one of the biggest clubs in England, they will have got the majority of the TV and prize money that there was to win, as well as the associated huge sponsorship deals.

And he still lost around £80m a year.

Football is a pyramid scheme. There’s always a new sucker willing to pump/launder in fortunes and keep the smoke thick and the mirrors polished.

Also said similar before, but the turnover of the biggest clubs is dwarfed by Gregg’s. There’s no larger point there, it’s just funny to me given the emphasis broadcasters and media put on the magnitude of games.

2 minutes ago, glb said:

Football is a pyramid scheme. There’s always a new sucker willing to pump/launder in fortunes and keep the smoke thick and the mirrors polished.

Also said similar before, but the turnover of the biggest clubs is dwarfed by Gregg’s. There’s no larger point there, it’s just funny to me given the emphasis broadcasters and media put on the magnitude of games.

TBF Greggs is massive, everywhere you go.