Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Grealish is repped by Johnathan Barnett, a serious agent with an extensive roster of big names.

Kane is repped by his brother Charlie, who has I believe just one client. 

Just pondering on the Messi situation and how the situation is clear that Barca are fucked financially - if he loves them that much how about making himself the biggest club legend of all time by playing for free - Barca aren't banned from signing players, just have to meet a salary cap. He's taken hundreds of millions out of them over the years so not on the poverty line and will still have all his commercial income. 

42 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Grealish is repped by Johnathan Barnett, a serious agent with an extensive roster of big names.

Kane is repped by his brother Charlie, who has I believe just one client. 

please tell me his nickname at school was “coke”…

I like how Laporta keeps mentioning that other teams wanted the salary rules enforced and that they have to abide by them - the unashamed "Yeah, we'd have no problem them bending the rules for us, but those pesky other clubs don't like it" stance is at least honest. 

As for him playing for free, @Gottersdid you send a message to the BBC Live text of the press conference, because somebody just said pretty much exactly what you just did?

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I like how Laporta keeps mentioning that other teams wanted the salary rules enforced and that they have to abide by them - the unashamed "Yeah, we'd have no problem them bending the rules for us, but those pesky other clubs don't like it" stance is at least honest. 

As for him playing for free, @Gottersdid you send a message to the BBC Live text of the press conference, because somebody just said pretty much exactly what you just did?

No I didn't but it's not that 'out there' in his situation - he has no obligation to do it I totally agree and fair play if he wants a million week and PSG pay up.

He's one of the richest athletes ever in sport and his family are settled in Spain - he has no financial need to leave and if he truly feels a debt to the club why not play for free ? If he wants a new sporting challenge and to sample elsewhere then cool too.

Like I say no obligation to do it but also no reason not to if he is so inclined.

La Porta really upping the ante on La Liga there with his whining. 

There are some interesting parallels with the Kane situation in that people (not here) are trying to paint both situations as the players fault for being too greedy and that they "owe" something to the club that developed them.  It's as if the actions of their respective clubs treating players as if they were a meat market are expected never to factor into the players thinking once the show is on the other foot.

It's the classic "we unsettled this player behind the scenes in order to get him to sign for us... I can't believe that someone is doing that to us!"

Messi could play for free, but why should he?  What are Barca going to do in exchange? Stop selling his shirt for a couple of hundred Euro? Wipe him out of their marketing material?

Framing it as him "taking millions out of the club" is a bit of a stretch. We're talking about the greatest player to have ever lived, who's brought them incredible success on and off the pitch. Why wouldn't he be the world's best paid player? I imagine he brings in obscene amounts of revenue, directly and indirectly.

I don't think it's paying Messi his high wages that's the problem. It's the aggregate of awful financial mismanagement for years, on overpaid crap littering the rest of their squad, and Covid was the spark to finally light the fire. £300m on Dembele, Greizmann and Coutinho, mega wages, and all flops. That's why they're screwed.

Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for Barca, this is karma at it's finest. They're a horrible club in the way they act and run themselves. I also agree this is a cynical ploy and they're calling La Liga's bluff. I think he's more likely to end up back at Barca than anywhere else.

Could Messi play for 'free'

By that I mean he's off Barcelona's wage bill but a club sponsor pays him to play there and the sponsorship money Barca would get is just adjusted accordingly.

Or is that just breaking all the rules? 

9 minutes ago, Lucky said:

By that I mean he's off Barcelona's wage bill but a club sponsor pays him to play there and the sponsorship money Barca would get is just adjusted accordingly.

That’s just breaking the rules. Their problem is the percentage of revenue they’re meant to be spending on wages.

9 minutes ago, Lucky said:

It's breaking all the rules. Although City wormed their way out of something similar not too long ago.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

That’s just breaking the rules. Their problem is the percentage of revenue they’re meant to be spending on wages.

It occurred to me that theoretically Barca and Messi could come to an agreement where the club pay him a grand a week and still keep all the merchandising profits for themselves and that would help balance the books, but I would imagine that would set the sort of precedent that would make every single player and agent in club football get straight onto Messi asking him what the hell he thinks he is playing at.

7 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

What an absolute tit.

Every office has a dickhead like that, made worse by the fact that there's always a couple who actually find them funny.

50 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Messi could play for free, but why should he?  What are Barca going to do in exchange? Stop selling his shirt for a couple of hundred Euro? Wipe him out of their marketing material?

Don't even think that is an option as clubs outsource the shirts and merchandise when they sign those huge deals, they've already had that money off the kit companies pretty much. 

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Yes it's tricky but the basic idea of him becoming a "Spokesman" for a betting company with a deal with Barca for good money can happen.

The problem is you'd have to convince people it's not a salary paid by stealth.  It's the kind of thing you might get away with to, ooh, pulling a number entirely out of the air, bump an athlete on 50% of his previous wage back up but him taking no or an obviously joke salary is gonna make it not fly.

This though is why F1's similar cost cap explicitly excludes driver salaries.

I'm wondering if they could try a deferred salary. Though it would probably end up like Bobby Bonilla and the New York Mets.

After his subpar 1999 season, the Mets released Bonilla, but still owed him $5.9 million. Bonilla and his agent offered the Mets a deal: Bonilla would defer payment for a decade, and the Mets would pay him an annual paycheck of $1.19 million starting in 2011 and ending in 2035, adding up to a total payout of $29.8 million. Mets owner Fred Wilpon accepted the deal mostly because he was heavily invested with Ponzi scheme operator Bernie Madoff, and the 10 percent returns he thought he was getting on his investments with Madoff outweighed the eight percent interest the Mets would be paying on Bonilla's initial $5.9 million. As a result, the payout was a subject of inquiry during the Madoff investment scandal investigation when it came to light in 2008.

28 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I'm wondering if they could try a deferred salary. Though it would probably end up like Bobby Bonilla and the New York Mets.

Laporta said they agreed a two-year deal to be paid over five years and La Liga didn't allow it, so I imagine they would also disallow that type of salary deferral too. 

something else for old school PFM (proper football men) to tut at as the soft data nerds invade the game further, xT - expected threat. A measure of a players ability to progress the ball into better areas increasing goal scoring probability. 

Am I right in thinking that Barcelona still can't register any of their other signings until they reduce their wage bill even further?

There's a small part of me that thinks it's sad that the career of arguably the greatest player of all time at the club he will always be associated with has come to an end in such a manner, with no great fanfare or even a testimonial, but then there's a much, much larger part of me that thinks it's really funny, because fuck Barcelona.

16 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Am I right in thinking that Barcelona still can't register any of their other signings until they reduce their wage bill even further?

There's a small part of me that thinks it's sad that the career of arguably the greatest player of all time at the club he will always be associated with has come to an end in such a manner, with no great fanfare or even a testimonial, but then there's a much, much larger part of me that thinks it's really funny, because fuck Barcelona.

Yeah they still need to deal with 200 million euros before they register their signings. Then at the end of this coming season payment is due on about 730 million. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch....

Laporte said earlier they'd done their sums and still believed the other players could be registered, but then again Barca were briefing until the last min yesterday that Messi was re-signing too and seem to think all summer they have carte blanche to tear up contracts they don't fancy paying any more. 

I do wonder whether the likes of Aguero have signed watertight contracts without any get out of jail clauses in them - if not could Barca be stuck not able to register them but still obliged to pay them ?

Suspect UEFA would step in then and declare those contracts null and void so they could play elsewhere but the players could still sue for damages if they didn't get the same terms elsewhere

Among the Guardiola has spent £918m in 5 years tweets..

Man City are so dominant no city fan seems to care Guardiola arrived, couldn't guarantee a way into the first team for Sancho and he's ended up at the city rival. Given Man City modelled their academy on Barcelona and hired Txiki Begiristain and Ferran Soriano from there I'm not sure what's changed. It's like he's become more pragmatic and less of an idealist. Like; well if they want to go then okay. But everyone on the outside will just think; the fault lies with you not them. 

Foden is the exception and with all the hysteria about him leaving to get game time, it was always about how much Guardiola actually cares that this die hard city fan lives his dream because they buy with such frequency. They spent £40m on Nathan Aké and i think everyone has forgotten he's there. Ferran Torres scored that hat trick and you think maybe that means with Aguero gone he'll get more minutes, but then...probably not. 

Brahim Diaz was highly rated, sold to Real Madrid for £15m. Garcia  rejected a new contract, left for Barcelona on a free transfer. They've just sold 22 year old striker Nmecha to Wolfsburg for £7m. Just sold a left midfielder called Angeliño for £16m who had been at City since 2013...not saying any these players are great, i just like seeing youth come through at clubs, there's an energy and enthusiasm to them, I'm glad that while not perfect Man United still do it. 

The most puzzling signing Barcelona made was Griezmann. There seem to be different details on his wage, £750,000 per week doesn't sound right. He was never going to fit in and i never got the need. After Dembele and Coutinho flopped at high cost and them knowing how high their wage bill already was, why sign another attacker on a stupidly high wage, it doesn't make any sense.

Pep has always been an absolute windbag. I think all that praise he got for expertly handling Foden's development by never playing him was incredibly generous too and only works if there was a parallel dimension that allowed us to see what would have happened had he actually had a kick.

With the players mentioned who didn't quite make it and sold for good money, I think that's just all big clubs now. Get a prospect in, play them a tiny bit, maybe get them a cap and then flog them for a profit. I don't think that's even players not getting a crack at the team, more that they were never really purchased as anything other than an asset to improve revenue. It's a murky business for sure.

IF City do sign Messi and IF they win the CL eventually it doesn't really prove Guardiola's genius either does it - just that Messi is quite good and Guardiola happens to win CLs when he's in the team.