IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

16 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Bristol Rovers result has got to be a fix, surely? Need to outscore Northampton by 5 and they are winning 7-0 against an already relegated team. 

BBC Radio 5 trying to stir up the Northampton fans by pointing out that Scunthorpe played the kids and half their team have made fewer than five appearances this season. 

Thing is, Scunthorpe are shit. They finished 92nd in the league and we’re 18 points and -48 goals from safety. If you’re expecting a favour from that lot then maybe you fucked up somewhere in the other 45 games.  

Elsewhere, it wasn't that long ago that Luton were non-league, they've secured a play off spot to try and get promotion from the Championship,

Forest slipped down to fourth after drawing 1-1, maybe the Bournemouth result has led to them losing form at a typical for Forest time of the season 

If they're successful, Luton would be the first former non-league side to reach the Premier League since Wigan in 2005, and the first team from what is now the National League to make it. 

The National League was introduced as the Alliance Premier League in 1979. Wigan were voted into the league in 78, Wimbledon in 77.

39 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

If they're successful, Luton would be the first former non-league side to reach the Premier League since Wigan in 2005, and the first team from what is now the National League to make it. 

The National League was introduced as the Alliance Premier League in 1979. Wigan were voted into the league in 78, Wimbledon in 77.

And perhaps the first ever to go top division -> non-league -> top division?

Edit: Fixed my misremembering that they were in the PL, rather than the old 1st Division.

Edit 2: Only just saw the Brighton - Man U score. Please don't let me distract anyone from the appropriate levels of mockery.

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Watford are going down without a wimper.  They need a win, a draws no good, but you’d never know it from the lack of, effort, urgency or, well, anything.

I felt bad for relegating Roy, but also grateful for his departure  from Palace when, in a game Watford had no other option but to win and with them a goal down and a man down, Roy took off a centre back and replaced him with...a centre back.

6 minutes ago, hmm said:

And presumably the first ever to go PL -> non-league -> PL? Did anyone ever do the equivalent with the old 1st Division?

Luton were relegated before the PL started. I think Oldham are the first PL team to go down into the non-league. Notts County helped found the PL but never played in it.

Is that the most embarrassing defeat for a ‘Top 6’ team since Stoke put six past Liverpool in Gerard’s last match? The United team has clearly given up and some of the players clearly want to avoid picking up an injury in case they are sold in the summer. 

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Bristol Rovers result has got to be a fix, surely? Need to outscore Northampton by 5 and they are winning 7-0 against an already relegated team. 

I was at that game, it was fucking incredible:

CDCF7007-BE2B-4D3C-9154-CF749B432275.thumb.jpeg.16dbc5be44777ff12bf79ebb59d02ccb.jpeg

05DBFFE6-6C10-45A3-9837-8E2AD1204C8F.thumb.jpeg.d9a4c106b00238d7e4fcdfee46e3763b.jpeg

6CA59097-36DE-4A7E-8474-4837CC5AE0BA.thumb.jpeg.7135097c74e279b08bb24e2cf8f975fc.jpeg

810D8DDE-89B8-4881-8930-C7C819B47F55.thumb.jpeg.1b0f5e7b83c43fad07dab49f969ae3d2.jpeg

I was at Rovers vs Forest Green when they celebrated on our pitch, so it was nice to see an appropriate invasion.

Just now, spork said:

Wasn't that the same weekend after Newcastle or someone put 6 past United?

Think it was the 6-1 for Spurs against United? I remember as I ripped the piss out of my Utd supporting mate… then sheepishly turned off the phone once the goals started flying in 😂

I’ve got to say I just love watching this Liverpool team play football.  They’ve got a verve and style about them I’ve not seen since the Man Utd team with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez or Arsenal’s invincibles.   Luis Diaz is sensational player. 

Yeah, this Liverpool team are amazing. I really hope they win the quadruple, would be amazing to have them be the first to do it. There's something about them that's just so exciting, and they don't possess that suffocating quality that a lot of older dominating teams had (they leave loads of gaps and at times look quite vulnerable) which makes them really fun to watch.

I don't want them to win the quadruple.  I know the horse bolted a long time ago, but seeing an increasingly small number of clubs win an increasingly large share of the trophies is not good for football, a league and cup double used to be a  truly special achievement, now it seems to happen every five years.   The Liverpool team of 2018-202X is gonna be long remembered regardless of a quadruple. 

2 hours ago, hmm said:

And perhaps the first ever to go top division -> non-league -> top division?

I suppose technically that'd be Stoke City who dropped out of the league in the second ever season, and were back again in the fourth, but when there's only one league division it's much easier to do that.