Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

21 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Leicester looking to end this season with a whimper. Reboot in order this Summer. A fitness coach who can help keep half the squad free from serious injury would be first on the list. 

Higher than a defensive set piece coach? ;) 

58 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Higher than a defensive set piece coach? ;) 

Tbf to the set piece guru (the one remaining Chuckle Brother, I presume), he’s had to deal with an ever changing defence with the amount of injuries we’ve had. And Rodgers determination to continue with zonal marking when it’s been an utter disaster. Perhaps our first signing needs to be a bus to park. 

2 hours ago, layten said:

Which team was supposed to have a hangover after the midweek games again?

I think had Liverpool won, that hangover might have had some effect - but as I said in the Liverpool thread, a draw meant City could play without that pressure.

It's no disgrace to finish second to that lot though, especially considering we made a massive one-horse race at least a bit more interesting over the past few months.

2 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

It’s fast becoming a Bayern situation here. City just go out and blow record amounts of  cash to fast fix their areas of weakness. How can the rest of the league compete? 

Lol they can’t! Although I would say that adding Haaland doesn’t necessarily make them better - of course on paper it does, but be interesting to see how he fits into the system which currently doesn’t have a number 9. We’ve seen strikers come to other clubs (like Lukaku at Chelsea last season) that should in theory “complete” them but actually it becomes less than the sum of its parts.

He’ll probably be incredible though and break all previous scoring records.

2 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

It’s fast becoming a Bayern situation here. City just go out and blow record amounts of  cash to fast fix their areas of weakness. How can the rest of the league compete? 

Just a reminder that:

Manchester United have the world's most expensive defender, second most expensive Bundesliga transfer (mainly sat on the bench), and two of the most expensive teenagers ever playing for them (one of which also sits on the bench).

Liverpool have the world's second most expensive defender (most expensive at the time of purchase) and the second most expensive goalkeeper.

Chelsea have the world's most expensive goalkeeper (and don't play him), and second most expensive Premier League signing of all time.

It ain't Bayern situation at all.

Man City have definitely not been constantly at the top of the "most expensive players" list.

They just seem to get a lot of players in at £50-£60m.

Edit: Setting an arbitrary cut off of £45m, then De Bruyne, Sterling, Sane, Stones, Bernardo Silva, Mendy, Walker, Laporte, Mahrez, Rodri, Cancelo and Dias all fall into that category.

16 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Liverpool truly are the billion pound underdogs, it’s a miracle they’ve won anything really.

Edit better example: Chelsea truly are the 4.25 billion pound underdogs, it’s a miracle they’ve won anything really.

The reference to a billion is the cost of their squad (in fees, not including wages), not the club’s market worth.

I get it, there’s a hierarchy to the league, and to football on the whole and much of it is stupendously imbalanced. Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United fans whinging about being out-spent isn’t going to ingratiate us to mid-tables sides trying to break into the European places, or relegation-threatened sides trying to stay up. Or league two sides wondering if their club will exist in a few seasons time. They can look on and mock the spoiled brats acting spoilt I guess.

Thankfully football is cyclical, and whenever Pep leaves I’d expect the league title to swap between three or four clubs for a few seasons until another dominant side emerges for two to three seasons. The same goes elsewhere. Norwich and Fulham will stop yo-yoing for a bit. Hopefully decent owners will buy Oldham. Man City might even win a European Cup.

18 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Weirdly, I'm literally looking at a spreadsheet summary of all the clubs finances.  Man City absolutely are an anomaly.

Their commercial income is astounding. Such a loyal and vast fan base buying all those kits and filling those coffers.

Well they (Man City) cheat, don't they?  They're so wildly outside the laws of Financial Fair Play, they can't even see what playing within the laws looks like from where they are.  They're a team with a fanbase smaller than the likes of Aston Villa and Everton who mysteriously get enormous sponsership deals from companies that are definitely not their own owners.  Every time they win anything I'm reminded of that Brian Clough speech to the Leeds players (the wording of which I have taken from The Damned United, as the original is not recorded.)

“You lot may all be internationals, and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Don Revie. But as far as I’m concerned, the first thing you can do for me is chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest fucking dustbin you can find. Because you’ve never won any of them fairly. You’ve done it all by cheating.”

At least Leeds had the decency to do their cheating on the pitch.

34 minutes ago, glb said:

Their commercial income is astounding. Such a loyal and vast fan base buying all those kits and filling those coffers.

I believe the phrase that should never be used for very real and legal reasons is "same trousers, different pockets".

46 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

They're a team with a fanbase smaller than the likes of Aston Villa and Everton who mysteriously get enormous sponsership deals from companies that are definitely not their own owners

I won't dispute the wider point here, but sponsorship isn't dictated simply by fanbase. Man City get more airtime and play in the top competitions. If they weren't sponsored by their owners, I'd still expect their deals to outshine Villa and Everton.

Now, when they were first purchased...

Everyone knows Citeh are breaking FFP rules, but even if there was any interest in truly combating them they made it clear they would just shuffle some of their bottomless money pit into the most expensive lawyers they can find and make any attempt to sanction them an impossible endeavour.

And now we get to watch Newcastle do the same thing. It'll be totally above board when Saudi Bonesaws Inc. pay the market rate of £1bn a year to have their shoulder sponsorship.

I think that we've got at least half a decade of laughing at Newcastle pumping a lot of money and failing.  The key to City's success is that they've put as much time, money and effort into the off the field structures as they have on the pitch.  They were after Guardiola from day one, but were willing to wait.  In the meantime, they got people like Txiki Begeristain (sp?) and many of the others Pep wanted employed a year earlier setting everything up so that he could walk straight in.  Who else would spend a year researching players for a manager who isn't even officially signed so that on day one, he can make his choices.  And then they just buy them.

City is an absolute machine run by very smart people who have the infinite money to back up what they need.  This is the club that built a five star hotel on their own site, complete with private ramp to the stadium, purely so that that first team could focus for the full 24 hours before a home match even though they own the top five floors of a very posh apartment building a mile away which they use to house many of the players.

I don't get the impression that Staveley et al have any ideas along the same lines in the North East.  She's been working for years to get herself as a middleman in purchasing a Premier League club.  The club didn't matter, the buyer didn't matter, as long as she got in the middle to get her cut.  (I'm sure she's been mentioned as involved with potential takeovers for West Ham and a West Midlands club...)  I figure there will be a subtle off-field reset at Newcastle in about 18 months and she'll move aside.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

I think that we've got at least half a decade of laughing at Newcastle pumping a lot of money and failing.  The key to City's success is that they've put as much time, money and effort into the off the field structures as they have on the pitch.  They were after Guardiola from day one, but were willing to wait.  In the meantime, they got people like Txiki Begeristain (sp?) and many of the others Pep wanted employed a year earlier setting everything up so that he could walk straight in.  Who else would spend a year researching players for a manager who isn't even officially signed so that on day one, he can make his choices.  And then they just buy them.

City is an absolute machine run by very smart people who have the infinite money to back up what they need.  This is the club that built a five star hotel on their own site, complete with private ramp to the stadium, purely so that that first team could focus for the full 24 hours before a home match even though they own the top five floors of a very posh apartment building a mile away which they use to house many of the players.

I don't get the impression that Staveley et al have any ideas along the same lines in the North East.  She's been working for years to get herself as a middleman in purchasing a Premier League club.  The club didn't matter, the buyer didn't matter, as long as she got in the middle to get her cut.  (I'm sure she's been mentioned as involved with potential takeovers for West Ham and a West Midlands club...)  I figure there will be a subtle off-field reset at Newcastle in about 18 months and she'll move aside.

It’ll take them a while but their transfers and appointments so far have been pretty sensible and worked out as good as you could hope. Certainly less batshit than how City started just immediately buying Robinho. The model for success is there for them, just try and copy City’s eventual route.