IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

41 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Leeds are gone, by the last game they probably wont be able to field a full 11 at the rate they’re getting sent off and injured :o 

Their last game is against us. I remember them coming to Griffin Park a few years back, when they had that Italian nutter in charge. He ended up going in the stand with the fans, and then buggering off when we hammered them. :lol: 

I have a video I took of it somewhere I think.

11 hours ago, Plissken said:

Given we're currently missing both first choice centre backs and our second and third choice strikers, it's going to come down to who can nick a point from somewhere.

We play Leeds at the weekend, have scored seven goals in the last 2 games and are stronger away from home whilst Leeds are struggling. I think they’re going to win 1-0.

Two penalties, two screamers and two minutes the Inter keeper will probably want to forget. Dropped a bollock for the first Juve goal and then almost immediately after takes a powerful shot square in the kisser then concedes the rebound. 

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Arteta needs a new dummy, must be all the salty tears causing him to spit it out so far 😂

He doesn't like to lie he said. Didn't mind getting a game postponed using the covid rules when they had one covid case (and a load of inconvenient injuries).

I can see the case for Vieira, as I think Palace had 10 players out of contract last year.

Eddie Howe?  All it took was to be less shit than the teams around him and ninety three million quid. 

Oh to have Patrick Vieira's PR. What has he actually done?  Palace lose more than they win, but every time anyone mentions him it's to heap praise on his shoulders.

Moyes should be on the list, but I'd say that Eddie Howe definitely deserves a place as well. I know he had money to spend, but those signings aren't the only reason for Newcastle's resurrection from relegation candidates to mid-table anonymity. Bruno Guimaraes has been fantastic, but Trippier got injured early and has barely played, and Wood has been completely shit. Howe has got a lot more out of the players he had, put in place a way of playing, and turned them into a pretty good team. The transformation from how they looked under Bruce has been extraordinary.  Look how he's got Joelinton playing!  That alone is quite miraculous.

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

Oh to have Patrick Vieira's PR. What has he actually done?  Palace lose more than they win, but every time anyone mentions him it's to heap praise on his shoulders.

Moyes should be on the list, but I'd say that Eddie Howe definitely deserves a place as well. I know he had money to spend, but those signings aren't the only reason for Newcastle's resurrection from relegation candidates to mid-table anonymity. Bruno Guimaraes has been fantastic, but Trippier got injured early and has barely played, and Wood has been completely shit. Howe has got a lot more out of the players he had, put in place a way of playing, and turned them into a pretty good team. The transformation from how they looked under Bruce has been extraordinary.  Look how he's got Joelinton playing!  That alone is quite miraculous.

Plus taking Woods from Burnley at the time seemed a genius idea of disarming Burnley, one of their direct rivals at the time. 

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Yep. It's easy to write off Newcastle as just buying success. But with 10 points from the first 18 games, they were dead and buried before Christmas with most people (including many in this thread) pondering how hilarious it was the Saudi's had spent so much on a 100%-in-the-Championship-next-season team.

Had they just barely scraped survival we could point to the cash injection. But they have 33 points from the last 16 games. That's 'vying for a Champions League place' form.

Yeah, as much as Newcastle going down would've been great for sport in general, Howe has managed to get them to be a functioning team and playing some good stuff, to the point you think they might have been looking at European places had he been there all season.

Vieira's inclusion, even had it not been at the expense of Moyes, is just bizarre though.

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

You watched much Crystal Palace this season? I haven't watched too many but I've seen enough to realise there has been a marked change to the Hodgson era. They are currently 11th, an improvement of 3 places if they manage to keep it.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it was a rebuild considering the majority of the squads contracts were up.

I think he definitely deserves recognition ahead of Howe and Moyes. What have Moyes and West Ham done in the Premier League this season? It's not a general football award, it's for the Premier League.

Palace got 44 points last season. 
They currently have 44 points this season.  They’ll almost certainly beat last season’s tally, but the main thing Vieira has done is to exceed low expectations. Put him on the list if you like the football they play, but he ain’t winning it. 

4 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

Palace got 44 points last season. 
They currently have 44 points this season.  They’ll almost certainly beat last season’s tally, but the main thing Vieira has done is to exceed low expectations. Put him on the list if you like the football they play, but he ain’t winning it. 

It's an incredibly lazy view to take of the performances of Palace this year to boil it down to W/L and/or total points.

He's completely rejuvinated the team at a time when we had a significant turnaround of playing staff and reinveted the way we play (successfully), it's not about comparing him to Hodgson's points tally or looking for trophies, it's the scale of the task in front of him and the way he's dealt with it in a very short timeframe.

I agree it's a stretch to say he should win it, but he's achieved an incredible amount with us this year. 

I'm not a Palace fan but the transformation of that team is pretty amazing. The changes in the squad available make it doubly so. They've gone from being an extremely negative, somewhat characterless team to being a coherent attacking unit capable of troubling almost anyone in the league. He definitely deserves plaudits. 

Howe has to be in contention, unfortunately. Yes they spent a lot of money in January, but they were dreadful when Howe came in and now they're one of the best performing sides in the league.

Vieira's turned a pretty shot Palace side into a decent, if still flawed, outfit. Never going to win this but with the dearth of decent management performances this year he's a shoe in as a candidate.

Frank's a decent shout. Brentford have come up and looked pretty decent, for a promoted side, and had some good performances and results, and they play decent football on the whole.

Klopp and Guardiola, shrug. Realistically it's one of them that wins it but the deck is somewhat stacked in your favour when you're managing at the very top of the tree, even accepting that part of that success is them.

Well it's a Premier League award so there's no way Klopp can win it, given that Pep has done everything he has plus 3 points more. Frank getting it would remind me of when George Burley pipped Houllier to it for getting Ipswich 5th (or was that an LMA award?), but Chris Wilder never got it for getting Sheffield United 9th in their first season so I can't see it going to him either.

Howe is really the only viable alternative to Pep then, I think.

Unless the league win is something extraordinary like Leicester’s 5000/1 shot, I’d like to think the manager of the year award goes elsewhere.

Klopp and Guardiola are both brilliant managers, but either of them winning the league isn’t a massive story. Klopp may have been in the running had Liverpool reduced the 14 point gap and snatched the title, but Man City spending most of the season at the summit and winning the title isn’t really noteworthy (it would be a much bigger story if they weren’t)

Thomas Frank deserves credit for keeping Brentford up on a budget that wouldn’t even cover half of Haaland’s annual wages. Howe surprised most of us, Viera likewise, the latter turning one of the most dour Premier League sides in recent memory into a team actually worth watching. If Brighton net their top-flight highest finish then Potter deserves a shout but still think Moyes, even though West Ham have faded a little in the league while chasing European glory, has exceeded the most expectations. Maybe he’ll get another shot at Man United after Ten Hag is biffed next March.

Has it been a good season? I’m leaning towards decent but forgettable. Some great moments but most of the important stuff is pretty much wrapped up, bar 4th place and Leeds/Burnley’s fate. Hopefully there will be some unexpected drama but feel like the various play-offs that are underway will provide a lot more interest than anything the Premier League has left to offer.

5 minutes ago, glb said:

Unless the league win is something extraordinary like Leicester’s 5000/1 shot, I’d like to think the manager of the year award goes elsewhere.

Klopp and Guardiola are both brilliant managers, but either of them winning the league isn’t a massive story. Klopp may have been in the running had Liverpool reduced the 14 point gap and snatched the title, but Man City spending most of the season at the summit and winning the title isn’t really noteworthy (it would be a much bigger story if they weren’t)

Thomas Frank deserves credit for keeping Brentford up on a budget that wouldn’t even cover half of Haaland’s annual wages. Howe surprised most of us, Viera likewise, the latter turning one of the most dour Premier League sides in recent memory into a team actually worth watching. If Brighton net their top-flight highest finish then Potter deserves a shout but still think Moyes, even though West Ham have faded a little in the league while chasing European glory, has exceeded the most expectations. Maybe he’ll get another shot at Man United after Ten Hag is biffed next March.

Has it been a good season? I’m leaning towards decent but forgettable. Some great moments but most of the important stuff is pretty much wrapped up, bar 4th place and Leeds/Burnley’s fate. Hopefully there will be some unexpected drama but feel like the various play-offs that are underway will provide a lot more interest than anything the Premier League has left to offer.

I dunno, how often going into the last two games is there competition for 1st - 7th and one team not down? Maybe not that high on quality but overall its been a season full of drama and interest IMO

11 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I dunno, how often going into the last two games is there competition for 1st - 7th and one team not down? Maybe not that high on quality but overall its been a season full of drama and interest IMO

1st to 7th is a stretch. Spurs and Arsenal have to duke it out for fourth granted but 3rd is set and the title is over (so 2nd is decided too), then it’s only really whether West Ham can finish above Man United. 4th/5th and 6th/7th are self-contained mini battles.

Interestingly, last season was the first time that all three sides were relegated from the Premier League with more than two games to play. So at least the relegation battle is ‘better’ than last season (except if your side is on in it). But getting punched in the face by Francis Ngannou would be better than that weird zombie season that should have never happened.

I'm genuinely devastated Tom Rogic is leaving Celtic.  Wonderful player cursed by not really having the fitness of a professional athlete.

It's not often any more that someone leaves a club after almost a decade and it's really heart-wrenching.

Huge game in the ChallengeLeague today. FcSchaffhausen play FcAarau today, the winner of this game will most likely play in the Super League next season. 

And for the first time ever, we are sold out! FcSchaffhausen sold the last available ticket for the game on Thursday evening! Yay! It's only 8222 seats, but still.

Catering will be a huge mess, they have problems coping with 1000 people, so I'm not looking forward to that part today. 😂