IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I posted late night about the media blowing smoke up Arsenal's arse in some weird effort to persuade everyone that they are better than they are and this from the Graun today is exemplary.

Martinelli is a scintillating talent and showed it again when tormenting Leeds’ Luke Ayling into a red card 10 days ago; he is also an emphatic finisher but has scored once in his past 21 appearances

[...]

Lacazette briefly earned gushing reviews in December when showing the leadership Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had abdicated, if not the goal return of his friend, but that was a passing fancy

It's almost as if the end of each sentence bears no relation to the start.

(BTW, I'm not having a go at Arsenal or their fans here, because they seem more than aware of their own issues, it's just that there is this huge blind spot when it comes to the people writing about them.  The press literally never look more than one game ahead or behind.  The canapes in the press box at the Emirates must be tremendous.)

Isn't that the same for all of the "big 6"? As much as I'm not a fan of the term it's in the media's interests to write like that, crisis followed by "success" followed by crisis generates views. It made me laugh how last night's post game analysis was like a fucking funeral, as bad as the match was, then Gary Neville goes "the media...and us" who the fuck are you if you aren't the media? 😂

I agree, it's just Arsenal are the only ones who seem to have the cycle down to pretty much game by game.  

As for your second point, Gary "Too many managers are fired by trigger happy owners who have unrealistic expectations of success*" has just fired yet another manager at Salford.

*Paraphrasing

3 hours ago, wev said:

Isn't that the same for all of the "big 6"? As much as I'm not a fan of the term it's in the media's interests to write like that, crisis followed by "success" followed by crisis generates views. It made me laugh how last night's post game analysis was like a fucking funeral, as bad as the match was, then Gary Neville goes "the media...and us" who the fuck are you if you aren't the media? 😂

I don’t think Spurs get any good press in general (someone at Football365 seems to be the exception), and the media seem intent on rocking the boat whenever we start looking reasonable. Poch to Man Utd, Kane to Man City, Conte to PSG, Kane to Liverpool or Man Utd, and now Son to Man Utd.

I think that's a symptom of having big name players that aren't at a Manchester club (well and Liverpool), see Arsenal and Barcelona.

Anyway, tonight's all about Nottingham Forest

9 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I thought Johnson was going to lamp him. :lol:

Sheffield United have been shithousing like a bunch of total wankers. I hope they get battered in the second half.

Forest fans started singing "you're just a shit Neil Warnock" :lol: