IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I can't believe some Liverpool fans are expecting a favour from Villa.   We've not beaten Man City in nearly ten years, so it certainly won't be happening in a game which they are desperate to win and have had a week to prepare for.  

Liverpool don’t need Villa to beat City, a draw would do assuming they beat Wolves. I’m not expecting anything other than a routine City win especially with Walker and Stones likely to play but it’s nice to dream.

42 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I can't believe some Liverpool fans are expecting a favour from Villa.   We've not beaten Man City in nearly ten years, so it certainly won't be happening in a game which they are desperate to win and have had a week to prepare for.  

Sounds like it's time for Villa to step up and break that hoodoo then.  Coutinho hat trick will be fine.😜

47 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Lol nobody is expecting. 99% chance you get battered. But we’re holding out for that tiny chance, let us enjoy it!

2 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Sounds like it's time for Villa to step up and break that hoodoo then.  Coutinho hat trick will be fine.😜

Villa break other people's hoodoos, not our own.

Striker not scored in months? Villa's defence will deliver.

Can't keep a clean sheet for shit? Villa's offence will deliver.

Haven't had a penalty all season? Villa will oblige.

Can't buy a win? Villa won't turn up.

It is more likely than Ederson goes on a mazy run the length of the pitch to score a worldie than Villa winning at the Etihad. We weren't great against Citeh when they were far weaker than they are now. Even when we do perform against them we lose (see things such as the rules being 'clarified' after our match against them when Mings was tackled from offside to allow them to score). 

They'll saunter to a win. The game will be over in the first half. Liverpool will have to console themselves with their meagre cup success.

Thing is, unless you can't move then most teams have something to play for on Sunday because boardrooms up and down the country will want to maximise that prize money. Brighton for example could finish anywhere between 8th and 14th depending on results which I think is quite a difference in cash.

I can't see us beating West Ham given that it is entirely possible that Man U could lose to Palace gifting them sixth which is motivation enough.

While I hope that Villa spend the game gleefully banging in own goals and laughing uproariously at their own manager's tears on the touchline, I suspect that they will win.  Guardiola is known for dropping a massive bollock when it really matters.  That's usually in the Champions League, but he's still more than capable of going mad and introducing a calamatous tactical innovation in a game like this.  Is this the match where he elects to play without a goalkeeper?

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

It is more likely than Ederson goes on a mazy run the length of the pitch to score a worldie than Villa winning at the Emirates.

This is absolutely true this weekend, of course. Arsenal and Everton are the only teams with a non-zero chance of winning there.

13 minutes ago, milko said:

This is absolutely true this weekend, of course. Arsenal and Everton are the only teams with a non-zero chance of winning there.

I knew there was something wrong there.

3 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Thing is, unless you can't move then most teams have something to play for on Sunday because boardrooms up and down the country will want to maximise that prize money. Brighton for example could finish anywhere between 8th and 14th depending on results which I think is quite a difference in cash.

I can't see us beating West Ham given that it is entirely possible that Man U could lose to Palace gifting them sixth which is motivation enough.

This is true. Apparently £2.2 million per position so for Brighton in your example, that's s lot of cash. 

Being reported that both Leeds and Burnley are looking to bring action against Everton for breaching Premier League FFP rules.  But it's in the Heil, so dunno how accurate it really is.

I must say, even though my own club would benefit in some way if Everton were punished, that putting your faith in the same people that bent over backwards to find excuses to allow the Saudis to take over Newcastle is likely to turn out to be a fools errand.

So he's player-director of football. That can only end well. 

In other news, Sunderland have finally made it back to the Championship. It'll be interesting to see how they do.