IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

56 minutes ago, bradigor said:

The Henry goal for Lyon's opener in the Champions League Final is outrageous 

That's a great goal.

The replies to that tweet though...  Jesus Christ.

La Liga are going to sue PSG if they renew MBappe.

(translation from Reddit)

Faced with Kylian Mbappé's possible announcement of remaining at Paris Saint-Germain, LaLiga wishes to state that this type of agreement threatens the economic sustainability of European football, putting hundreds of thousands of jobs and sporting integrity at risk in the medium term, not only from European competitions, but also from our domestic leagues.

It is scandalous that a club like PSG, which last season lost more than 220 million euros, after having accumulated losses of 700 million euros in recent seasons (even declaring sponsorship income of a very dubious amount) with a cost of sports staff around 650 million for this 21/22 season, can face an agreement of these characteristics while those clubs that could accept the arrival of the player without seeing their wage bill compromised, are left without being able to sign him.

For all of the above, LaLiga is going to file a complaint against PSG before UEFA, administrative and tax authorities in France and before the competent bodies of the European Union, to continue defending the economic ecosystem of European football and its sustainability. .

On previous occasions, LaLiga has already filed complaints against PSG for non-compliance with UEFA's financial fair play as a result of which UEFA harshly sanctioned PSG, although the CAS revoked them in a strange resolution.

LaLiga and many European football institutions were hopeful that with the entry of the PSG president, Mr. Nasser Al-Khelaifi, into European football management bodies such as the former UEFA or the ECA Presidency, he would refrain from carrying out these practices knowing the serious damage they cause, but it has not been like that, quite the opposite. PSG being with unacceptable salary masses, with large economic losses in previous seasons, assumes an impossible investment in this situation, which undoubtedly implies non-compliance with the current economic control regulations not only of UEFA, but of French football itself. .

These behaviors denote even more that the state clubs do not respect or want to respect the rules of an economic sector as important as football, key to the sustainability of hundreds of thousands of jobs.

This type of behavior led by Nasser Al-Khelaifi, president of PSG, due to his status as a member of the former UEFA, president of the ECA, is a danger to European football at the same level as the Super League.

La Liga whinging about integrity, when their biggest club can conveniently sell a training ground well above market value to wipe out a debt, and their TV deal is weighted so heavily in favour of two clubs, is more than a bit rich.

A reminder that Lionel Messi got the maximum (suspended) sentence, for tax fraud, that under Spanish law wouldn’t require any actual jail time.

for reasons…

My greatest fear is that Liverpool win the league and Neoelite posts in here about armchair supporters and we do the same discussion about being a supporter of a club that isn’t local again.

But it’s pretty obvious that whether they smash them or get a late goal to nick it, Man City beat Villa and win the league. It’d be nice if it was all still alive at half time (the league, 4th place and relegation).

13 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Final day of the premier league season!   So what are everyone’s hopes and dreams as well as fears?

Ronaldo is out for Man Utd so I don’t think we have any players who can actually score a goal. I imagine our match today will be a bonafide classic and West Ham will finish 6th.

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Final day of the premier league season!   So what are everyone’s hopes and dreams as well as fears?

Hopes and dreams? That Divock Origi scores a perfect hat-trick.

No preference in the 4th spot or relegation battles, just hope for the sake of the supporters involved there’s no refereeing blunders or VAR horseshit to seal fates.

Fear? Everything is done and dusted by half-time and the day sort of fizzles out before it gets going.

I don't actually have any hopes or fears that aren't related to the ownership of West Ham. We've had an amazing season. We're guaranteed Europe next season (not going to turn my nose up at the Conference if that is where we end up; all European football is magical for a club like ours) and we're showing signs of going in the right direction for once. Of course that could all come crashing down if money isn't invested in players ect but going into the last day I wish everyone well (even Spurs) and hope we can all enjoy the last day of league football, in the sun, before 2 months or so of summer with no footy drives us all mad :D 

14 hours ago, layten said:

LaLiga mad because other teams are pulling the same shit Real and Barca have been up to for years. lol

This is spot on. I think it's crazy but it's nothing more extraordinary than any shady or underhand dealings they have gotten away with in the past. 

For the final day though, all I hope is that the league winner goes to the final minutes. Hopefully it will be Liverpool that comes out on top with a Gerrard redemption arc, subbing himself on to score the goal to make Man City tie in the dying embers. 

19 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Women's Euros are this summer 

Speaking of, have you/your daughter got the sticker album yet?

4 minutes ago, wev said:

Speaking of, have you/your daughter got the sticker album yet?

No not yet, not seen it anywhere locally

The dream is obviously for Man City to get pumped with Coutinho and Ings getting hattricks each while Liverpool get a win against Wolves. 

The reality is Villa will get pumped and we'll probably not even win out game anyway. Or worse City do draw or lose but so do we. 

Also Twitter says apparently Villa get an extra £15m if Grealish wins the title in his first season so no reason for Villa to try if that is the case. 

That La Liga statement is a bit daft but in Tebas defence he has at least been consistent in pushing for tighter financial controls, has brought in a slightly fairer distribution model for the La Liga TV money and held a hard line with Barcelona last year even though it ended up with Messi leaving the league. 

18 hours ago, ryodi said:

Commitimg himself to ageing in a farmers league like Neymar.

Bit harsh, surely we should applaud a local lad playing for his local team even if they struggle to do well on the big stage….

Hopes for today are obv for Spurs win, Son to get a hatful of goals and the golden boot - he may even get some recognition then….

Im not fussed about which rich club wins the league or who gets relegated - Burnley have had a good run in the big time but can’t see past Leeds losing…

I think the final day will be the day of the incumbents.   I know it's the first time ever that every single club can end up in a different position to where they were at kick off (even if it requires a 20+ goal swing like Chelsea losing third) but the big three remaining questions,  Man City or Liverpool,  Spurs or Arsenal and Burnley or Leeds all see the side in front also having  a  significant goal difference advantage so they can kinda just coast home.    Maybe one of the three will slip, but I can't see it being too dramatic.  If I had to put money down then I'd just say it will stay as it is.  I wouldn't be surprised if Man City are out of sight by half time, the other games might stay fun for longer. 

I reckon that Man City might do a Blackburn and somehow lose, while Liverpool also stuff it up.

Nah they'll smash Villa.

Unless Gerrard has his oil tanks and banana skins thrown over the pitch.

6 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

I love how much important stuff is still undecided.

City - Liverpool
Spurs - Arsenal
United - West Ham
Leeds - Burnley

🤤

LETS GO

LETS GO

Screenshot_2022-05-22-15-57-45-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.c4ca6790cea8594ede860c6c39656c6f.jpg