IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

5 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

This is becoming a problem.  It's happened three times in the last couple of weeks, with similar incidents in the play off semi final where Billy Sharpe was assaulted by a Forest fan, and the Everton - Crystal Palace match where Viera got into a scuffle with an Everton fan.  

I genuinly think if they said a team is instantly punished in some form it would stop it. Dunno what that would be but maybe an instant points deduction, result forfeit or -10 points the start of next season. Has to be something the fans would care enough about to stop it because a fine won't cut it.

3 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Agreed. Big investment needed. As for Marsh? We'll see I guess. 

What do you think? Sell Rapha, keep Kalvin? Or are they both going?

Marsch has earned his chance to build his own team, so will reserve judgement on him until next season.

No problem with selling any players who want to move on, as long as the money is ploughed back into the team.   The board really need to shape up going forward though, as not spending in the January window was a huge gamble that they have been incredibly fortunate to get away with.

We definitely need a new PL quality striker and a Keeper as well, as Meslier young though he is has just been far too error prone this season.

Is the pitch invasion trend due to Covid lockdowns? 

I've never felt the urge to do it. 

It's probably quite a scary experience for players to be surrounded by thousands of unpredictable bodies. I hope it just stops. It's going to end in tragedy. Billy Sharp being headbutted by a cunt was horrific. He could have been killed. 

34 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Is the pitch invasion trend due to Covid lockdowns? 

I've never felt the urge to do it. 

It's probably quite a scary experience for players to be surrounded by thousands of unpredictable bodies. I hope it just stops. It's going to end in tragedy. Billy Sharp being headbutted by a cunt was horrific. He could have been killed. 

They did it because they saw everyone else do it. If it was due to COVID they’d have done it last season. City winning the title 12 months after the last one when they’ve been top most of the season hardly justified it. 

The TV cameras and general media coverage glorify it too. There will be a marked change next season, they'll cut the feed if it happens.

Pictures of City fans celebrating on top of a goal were in articles. The Nottingham Forest invasion was also given a decent airing by Sky at the time.

Not a single mention on the BBC football page of Olson being attacked.

Yeah, I said similar a few hours after the Forest match after excusing it as it happened, Sky had cameras in there and the presenting team were making a big thing of the Forest fans singing to Michael Dawson when really, they should have cut away like they do when someone runs onto the pitch during a match

Just got back from the Etihad. That was all very exciting. It was amusing as a neutral when it looked like they had fucked it and then amusing when they swiftly unfucked it.

Further down the pyramid - I took my eldest to Wembley for the first time yesterday for the FA Vase and FA Trophy finals.

Had a really good day (bar the expense of everything except the actual tickets) - nice to go to Wembley without the stress and crushing disapointment of watching Cardiff lose a final and we were in the neutral zone which was in the club wembley area so posh concourse and stuff.

Wrexham game was disapointing, but we were near the directors box so caught a glimpse of Ryan, Rob and special guest stars David Beckham and Will Ferrell.

But, the Vase game  at lunchtime was really good and check out the opening goal (skip to replays due to Wembley shadow) - a goal worthy of any cup final at any level.

35 minutes ago, Timmo said:

This shit is why, even if Hitler rose from the dead to fill in at centre back during an injury crisis, I'd still be hoping City win

This is annoying, really annoying, but Citeh are evil. Liverpool's ludicrous self declared superiority and exceptionalism is maddening but Citeh are actually a cancer perverting and abusing the game with aims beyond it.

51 minutes ago, Timmo said:

This shit is why, even if Hitler rose from the dead to fill in at centre back during an injury crisis, I'd still be hoping City win

It was a decent site once upon a time but now I'm not sure there's a more accurate indicator of acute walloperitis than the three words "The Anfield Wrap". 

Perhaps the best way of putting it is that the arrival of the oil states into the Premier League has enabled Liverpool fans to put a penthouse suite onto the top of the skyscraper that they had already built upon the moral high ground.

If we’re using Twitter as a yardstick for generalising a fanbase we’re on a hiding to nothing because it would be easy to undermine every club followed in this thread by highlighting some choice tweets.

That above quote is maddening as a Red, let alone what it must read like for anyone else but it’s been made on a site designed for clicks, and one that has completely corrupted how people express their thoughts. I’d say how they interact with others, but Twitter is just an exercise in who has the stamina to keep shouting ‘hot-takes’ the loudest. It’s all so disposable that none of it should linger longer than it takes to refresh a feed.

None of it except good stuff like Newport’s goal or clips of 90s football being rubbish. And people calling Piers Morgan a cunt.

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Leicester players voicing what we're all thinking upon the occasion of John Moss' retirement.

7df5b504-34dc-4045-a8ca-1e7ae1aec7e7.thumb.jpg.d1657c231541bc1150daeb8db4b5177c.jpg

His send-off (arf!) will be the Championship play-off final. Poor Forest and Huddersfield :(

2 hours ago, glb said:

If we’re using Twitter as a yardstick for generalising a fanbase we’re on a hiding to nothing because it would be easy to undermine every club followed in this thread by highlighting some choice tweets.

I don't think we do to be honest. Of course the quote above is a more extreme take, and of course there's idiots across all fanbases. But there is this idea we see everywhere (not just on Twitter) that Liverpool are somehow 'the good guys'. Sort of like this:

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

This is annoying, really annoying, but Citeh are evil. Liverpool's ludicrous self declared superiority and exceptionalism is maddening but Citeh are actually a cancer perverting and abusing the game with aims beyond it.

Yes, City are sportswashing evil. But Liverpool are evil too. Granted, they aren't *as* evil. Their owners don't murder people. 
But this is an organisation that attempted to form the SuperLeague, that furloughed their own minimum wage staff during the pandemic, that that were handed an 18-month transfer ban for their poaching of youth players... and this is all very recent stuff. Liverpool's ownership is absolutely a cancer perverting and abusing the game with aims beyond it.

None of us non-top-6-club supporters want City to win. But we don't want Liverpool to win either, because both clubs are run by utter cunts. So if we *have* to have a horse in the race (and fuck me, does all coverage and discussion insist on that), then we'll pick one for the silliest reasons. And sometimes, that reason is the incredulity offered by (some) Liverpool fans when we pick City.

I have to add, OF COURSE not all Liverpool fans are bad/blinkered/silly/insufferable. They're actually a pretty decent bunch. I always admire and respect their sense of community, and the atmosphere they generate for the big games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Liverpool are good or anything, I hate them as well. All the cartel sides are degrees of evil. Name one and you could rattle off reasons the game would be better without them.

Citeh are just amongst the worst. About the only side that's potentially worse is Newcastle, and they only lag behind due to time. In a few years they'll be worse, because they're openly representing a regime that dismembers dissenting voices, amongst other hideous acts.

54 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Yes, City are sportswashing evil. But Liverpool are evil too. Granted, they aren't *as* evil. Their owners don't murder people. 
But this is an organisation that attempted to form the SuperLeague, that furloughed their own minimum wage staff during the pandemic, that that were handed an 18-month transfer ban for their poaching of youth players... and this is all very recent stuff. Liverpool's ownership is absolutely a cancer perverting and abusing the game with aims beyond it.

None of us non-top-6-club supporters want City to win. But we don't want Liverpool to win either, because both clubs are run by utter cunts. So if we *have* to have a horse in the race (and fuck me, does all coverage and discussion insist on that), then we'll pick one for the silliest reasons. And sometimes, that reason is the incredulity offered by (some) Liverpool fans when we pick City.

Don't forget that the Fenway Sports Group tried to trademark the word "Liverpool" in 2019 and club also spent twenty years buying up houses in Anfield and leaving them derelict, running down the local area and  demonstrating they don't give a fuck about the local community just so they could build a bigger stadium. 

image.thumb.png.4576f1481908e09c524eacc19a28029f.png

All clubs do shady shit, not all of them do it while pretending they've got a halo atop their heads.  But yes, this means more.  

I played against that opposition team growing up (a later vintage). 

Memorable because in the first half I did my knee ligaments in stopping a ball going out for a corner. Was out for a season as a result. However, the reason why the game was even more memorable was that they were probably the best team around at the time, lots of Palace academy players on the books. Somehow we kept it to 1-1 at half time by which time my knee was damaged. They then put on a guy whose name I still remember - Alfie Winyard - who then proceeded to score 12 goals in 35 minutes. I've never seen anything like it since. I was in abject pain with an ice pack on my knee and this tiny player was balletically bypassing our players and scoring all manners of goals. I might have been injured but I figured, at least I hadn't had to endure that humiliation. 

5 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I played against that opposition team growing up (a later vintage). 

Memorable because in the first half I did my knee ligaments in stopping a ball going out for a corner. Was out for a season as a result. However, the reason why the game was even more memorable was that they were probably the best team around at the time, lots of Palace academy players on the books. Somehow we kept it to 1-1 at half time by which time my knee was damaged. They then put on a guy whose name I still remember - Alfie Winyard - who then proceeded to score 12 goals in 35 minutes. I've never seen anything like it since. I was in abject pain with an ice pack on my knee and this tiny player was balletically bypassing our players and scoring all manners of goals. I might have been injured but I figured, at least I hadn't had to endure that humiliation. 

Sounds like the team fell apart without you ;) 

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

Sounds like the team fell apart without you ;) 

I would love to believe that but this guy who came on was like some kind of spectral being. Incapable of being touched; challenges would just go right through him as if he wasn't there. It was pure footballing perfection. And he was a good foot smaller than anyone else on the pitch. He scored the first overhead kick I'd ever seen, as part of 4 hat-tricks in 35 minutes. He was Kim Jong-Un telling the North Koreans that he'd single handedly won the nation the World Cup. If this had been a time of mobiles and TikTok the performance would have reached the Athletic AND The One Show. 

On 22/05/2022 at 19:15, Stigweard said:

I genuinly think if they said a team is instantly punished in some form it would stop it. Dunno what that would be but maybe an instant points deduction, result forfeit or -10 points the start of next season. Has to be something the fans would care enough about to stop it because a fine won't cut it.

All playoff legs to be behind closed doors for those clubs with history of pitch invasion.