IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I, for one, welcome our new Belgian overlord.

(Actually, I'm pretty excited by this.  New division, new manager, new style, new players.  At least I'm looking forward to the season for the first time in a while.)

Might have said this when the link first happened a few weeks ago, but in terms of playing the loan market in The Championship then having a guy as well connected as Vincent Kompany in charge is potentially an amazing thing.  I'm sure he'll be asking Pep about who is available from the Manchester City academy.  

Looks like Bissouma is off to Spurs too.  He's a fantastic player, if those legal issues go away (I'm still not entirely sure what he is alleged to have done) then what a signing.  £25m for a guy of his quality is great value, he's only got a year left on his Brighton contract but there were definitely quite a few clubs interested  so I don't think they could lowball with any offer. 

30 minutes ago, Angles Morts said:

Why are they doing another round of pointless Nations League matches? 

Because the World Cup has fucked everything, but especially the minds of FIFA and UEFA who absolutely must insist their paypackets go ahead.

Clearly, if the World Cup must be in November/December, the Nations League should have been simplfied or skipped entirely, but UEFA would basically never give ground to FIFA even when it's clearly in the best interest of the players.

I thought I'd watch something that might throw up a bit more excitement with the Costa Rica v New Zealand world cup play off...

New Zealand conced a shit goal after 3 minutes and Costa Rica park the bus, 15 minutes into the second half and the game is dull as fuck, New Zealand have all the possession but lack any kind of creative spark to unlock the Costa Rican defence.

3 out of 10, still probably better than the England game I'm ignoring.

New Zealand have had a man sent off, they should be going gung ho for the win as they have nothing to lose but it's still only slightly more exciting, in part because some of the passing from NZ would struggle to be considered National League standard.

17 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Can't wait for Scotland to be in the division above England next time round.

It will be like your World Cup. 

Will England score a goal in open play ever again? (I've not been keeping up when the last time that was, might have been recently) Being unable to score a single goal has been a feature of too many of Southgate's games, and for all his stressing of defensive solidness, England seem to concede frequently, or always look like conceding.

2 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Will England score a goal in open play ever again? (I've not been keeping up when the last time that was, might have been recently) Being unable to score a single goal has been a feature of too many of Southgate's games, and for all his stressing of defensive solidness, England seem to concede frequently, or always look like conceding.

Yes I should imagine they will do at some stage. 6 hours and counting .

we are properly shit at the moment but I’d rather a dip in form happen now than at the World Cup .

Well I for one am glad I wont have to bother getting my hopes up for the World Cup after the previous 2 tournaments actually showed a glimmer of promise.

Just a shame it has to be against the racist shits of Hungary.

4 minutes ago, PaB said:

Yes I should imagine they will do at some stage. 6 hours and counting .

we are properly shit at the moment but I’d rather a dip in form happen now than at the World Cup .

This is that kind of optimistic speak which has logic i can't follow. England aren't going to magically transform into world beaters at the world cup are they, that's not how it works is it? I will always maintain being unable to score is far worse than conceding because scoring gives confidence more than conceding takes from you.

Just now, Loik V credern said:

This is that kind of optimistic speak which has logic i can't follow. England aren't going to magically transform into world beaters at the world cup are they, that's not how it works is it? I will always maintain being unable to score is far worse than conceding because scoring gives confidence more than conceding takes from you.

So you can follow the logic that England can go from world Cup semi to euro finalists to having a dip in form . But you can’t  follow the logic that a dip in form does not equal massive crisis and instead England are gonna be in trouble .

ok. 

This reminds me of the period prior to euro 96 . England couldn’t score . Shearer couldn’t score , venables infamous Christmas tree .