Jump to content

Football Thread 2021/2022


Plissken
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Would City have beaten Chelsea last season in the CL final had been there? (I didn't watch it so don't know how many good chances they crafted.) 

 

No.  Pep did what Pep always does, and out thought himself.  (Though in saying that, the main reason for them losing was he got completely outdone by Tuchel who had an excellent game plan and the Chelsea players who were superb from start to finish.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Europa Conference League is, rather understandably, a point of derision for sides in the top leagues who'd really rather not be in Europe at all than play there, but the view at

the other end of the scale is largely positive.

 

Teams who'd normally turn up for two European games a year are finding themselves getting an extended run out, and there's more opportunity for continuing that run up to Christmas. Alashkert, Flora and Lincoln Red Imps are the first representatives from Armenia, Estonia and Gibraltar to make a group stage, worth around €3m to each side, but even a decent little run in the qualifiers can get a club over the million mark. Loose change for a Premier League squad, potentially transformative for the less fancied nations.

 

I'm a fair bit bored of the procession that is the Champions League group stage, so I can see myself enjoying watching the likes of Union Berlin, NS Mura and Bodø/Glimt in midweek instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

It's probably a better fit deal for them than Kane as will cost a lot less up front, wages will be huge but he carries far more commercial appeal and you go again next window all out for Haaland, who neither Barca or Real will be able to afford (I'm assuming Real get Mbappe)


Haaland’s release clause of something like €70m gets activated next summer, so he’ll be a lot more affordable than he would’ve been this season. His wages will still be eye watering though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jammy said:


Haaland’s release clause of something like €70m gets activated next summer, so he’ll be a lot more affordable than he would’ve been this season.

 

I don't believe Haaland's low fee is going to result in any club saving any money as a package, that just means he'll get even higher wages (look how cheap he is !) and his agent will be picking up a vast payday from whoever signs him.

 

It'll be something mad like a million a week to the player and tens of millions to Raiola. Think there is an expectation his dad gets a huge payday too.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Gotters said:

 

I don't believe Haaland's low fee is going to result in any club saving any money as a package, that just means he'll get even higher wages (look how cheap he is !) and his agent will be picking up a vast payday from whoever signs him.

 

It'll be something mad like a million a week to the player and tens of millions to Raiola. Think there is an expectation his dad gets a huge payday too.

 

 

There were reports that Chelsea went for Haaland before switching their attention to Lukaku, and that Raiola demanded £820k a week and a £34m agents fee.  :lol:  He's fucking shameless.

 

It's interesting how everything is shaking out regarding the striker merry-go-round that's happening at the moment.  Kane, Lukaku, Ronaldo, Messi, Haaland, and Mbappe all either have moved or seem to be about to move this year or next year.  If Ronaldo goes to City <shudder> then does that mean they won't try to buy Haaland?  Does Chelsea signing Lukaku take them out of the equation?  If Mbappe goes to Real, what does that do?  Will they try to get Haaland as well?  How on earth could they afford that?  What about Man Utd?  They will need a striker next summer - are they putting all their eggs in the Haaland basket?  That's surely never going to work, is it?  They won't pay £820k a week, and can they really beat Bayern, Real, and City for his signature?  Will PSG come back into the mix to randomly sign players they don't need and somehow make it lees likely that they will win the Champions League?  If the lose Mbappe they will feel they have to sign another big name.  Will Kane find himself lost in the shuffle again?  I think we're going to see some weird and disconcerting sights next season - players wearing shirts that look wrong on them.  It's already strange seeing Messi in a PSG shirt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you were Haaland, why would you go to a club that had just signed Ronaldo - why even bother to put yourself in that kind of competition when you have plenty of other offers?

 

If City do sign Ronaldo - and I see Juve have now said he has told them 'that's it, I'm not playing anymore, contracts only matter when I want them to' - then I see it as a big dent in any hopes of signing Haaland...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

 

I don't believe Haaland's low fee is going to result in any club saving any money as a package, that just means he'll get even higher wages (look how cheap he is !) and his agent will be picking up a vast payday from whoever signs him.

 

It'll be something mad like a million a week to the player and tens of millions to Raiola. Think there is an expectation his dad gets a huge payday too.

 


Yes, reported that his dad gets £20m in any deal. The whole thing is crazy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

If Ronaldo goes to City <shudder> then does that mean they won't try to buy Haaland?  Does Chelsea signing Lukaku take them out of the equation?  If Mbappe goes to Real, what does that do?  Will they try to get Haaland as well?  How on earth could they afford that?  What about Man Utd?  They will need a striker next summer - are they putting all their eggs in the Haaland basket?  That's surely never going to work, is it?  They won't pay £820k a week, and can they really beat Bayern, Real, and City for his signature?  Will PSG come back into the mix to randomly sign players they don't need and somehow make it lees likely that they will win the Champions League?  If the lose Mbappe they will feel they have to sign another big name.  Will Kane find himself lost in the shuffle again? 

 

image.png.c00241a7d75dfff9a8475ef36ad188bd.png

 

If CRonaldo will only stay for 2 years would that affect chasing Haaland? I wouldn't have thought so. I think it ends Chelsea getting him because Lukaku's stay will be longer and presumably successful in a way Werner's hasn't been that Chelsea won't be looking for a 3rd striker in 3 years (after letting Abraham go). Man United won't spend stupid amounts to entice a player to the club? They would wouldn't they? I don’t think United need a striker though, i think Greenwood up front, Martial, Rashford wide and as back ups, with Sancho out wide and Fernandes providing, United don’t lack goals. Not finishing, just creating sometimes...I'd try to nab Kovacic from Chelsea without them somehow noticing. 

 

You'd think if Madrid get Mbappe they won't get Haaland too. I think Bayern might end up being the likeliest and then Man City. 

 

If Juventus are thinking that having CRonaldo in their team is a disadvantage to them overall and they play better without him then i don't see how Guardiola will put up with his lack of pressing/defensive work/linking up. He gave Aguero enough shit over it. 

 

I don’t know how many times I've heard a journalist on a podcast say 'it's really simple guys why can't people understand that Kane has a contract and Levy doesn't need to sell no matter how much Kane wants to leave'. Nicky Baldani was the only one really to say; in any other profession you have some agency over what you want to do with your life. Or words to that effect, pls no one reply with 'well actually, in these jobs...' or fake pity for a guy paid handsomely. 

 

There's news Kane wants a wage increase, whether that's true. Why can't he merely run down his contract now and leave for free? Have his pick of club. I saw a reddit thread the other day, actually from a year ago i think that asked 'is Kane the best player to never win anything?' and most answers were like...er yeah he probably is.

 

Aubameyang desperately wanted to move to Real Madrid, Lewandowski wanted the same, De Gea wanted it and got close, Zaha wanted a big move. All eventually resigned to thinking it will never happen. Don't know how bored spurs fans are of this but becoming the premier league's all time top scorer without winning anything would be pretty ridiculous. The top 2 with just one league between them. If Kane signs another contract extension even with a buy out clause there's no guarantee like the players above that another club will be interested enough to spend big given his age. He's in danger of never moving and it seems like he knows this point is pivotal in his career while at the same time being an idiot with contracts it seems. 

 

I thought Lewandowski to Man City, Kane to Bayern might have been possible after Lewandowski got upset over Bayern hinting at wanting Haaland.

 

Maybe the future of football is all the top clubs swapping their strikers every 3 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, rgraves said:

If you were Haaland, why would you go to a club that had just signed Ronaldo - why even bother to put yourself in that kind of competition when you have plenty of other offers?

 

If City do sign Ronaldo - and I see Juve have now said he has told them 'that's it, I'm not playing anymore, contracts only matter when I want them to' - then I see it as a big dent in any hopes of signing Haaland...

 

Because Ronaldo is probably only going to stay for 2 years and he will have one season left by the time Haaland would arrive? 

 

If Real Madrid buy Mbappe which seems certain this season or next that seems more of a dent than Ronaldo's brief time at a club. Also Lukaku at Chelsea. And Lewandowski has probably 4-5 more years at Bayern. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great work by Jorge Mendes to get both City & Utd sniffing round Ronaldo - should help not only secure a fee for Juve but a nice payday for him too.

 

You've now got the great situation where City have decided that they 'need' Ronaldo and Utd simply won't want to lose face like this losing out to the noisy neighbours. 

 

I know Ronaldo has great affection for Ferguson but don't know how much of that feeling extends to Utd themselves, would sentimentality come into it at all for him or would he simply go to the place that gives him the best chance to extend his own personal legacy of titles and trophies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Ronaldo used City to draw out Man Utd, where he actually wanted to go, and Utd are going to fall for it and pay loads of money to sign him even though they don't need him at all? Jorge Mendes playing 4D chess as usual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

 

image.png.c00241a7d75dfff9a8475ef36ad188bd.png

 

 

 

Eh?  Do you mean me or the transfer market in general? I'm not frothing at the mouth or hopping around raging, I'm just finding the manoeuvring this window pretty entertaining. Don't worry.

 

And another bit of bizarre manoeuvring seems to have brought Ronaldo onto United's rader.  Like I imagine most of us United fans I have several conflicting emotions about this if it happens.  A beloved club legend returning is pretty exciting, but is he going to be better than Cavani, who we all love as well?  It would have been horrible to see him playing for City, and probably lifting the league title with them.  But it really feels like we're being played by someone.  Also, we need a central midfielder, not a striker who refuses to do any donkey work. Cavani defends corners magnificently, and even tracks all the way back into his own penalty box. But there are several young players in the squad who will surely benefit from seeing how Ronaldo trains, his extreme professionalism.  But does this mean we aren't going to be in the running for Haaland?

 

I'm still calm, but this is getting pretty weird now.  This transfer window might have jumped the shark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

This transfer window might have jumped the shark.

 

The two best players of the last fifteen years are moving to clubs that don't need them and might actually make them worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ronaldo coming back to the most physical of leagues - when his mobility (or lack thereof) at Juve was often highlighted - is intriguing if nothing else. I don't think it changes how Man Utd shape up as a team because, as everybody knows, they need a proper holding midfielder over a striker. As @feltmonkeysays, I'm sure how he looks after his body and trains will be great behind the scenes for probably everybody in the squad but it remains to be seen whether he would be a wise purchase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Eh?  Do you mean me or the transfer market in general? I'm not frothing at the mouth or hopping around raging, I'm just finding the manoeuvring this window pretty entertaining. Don't worry.

 

It was just the 11 questions in a row...

 

49 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

And another bit of bizarre manoeuvring seems to have brought Ronaldo onto United's rader.  Like I imagine most of us United fans I have several conflicting emotions about this if it happens.  A beloved club legend returning is pretty exciting, but is he going to be better than Cavani, who we all love as well?  It would have been horrible to see him playing for City, and probably lifting the league title with them.  But it really feels like we're being played by someone.  Also, we need a central midfielder, not a striker who refuses to do any donkey work. Cavani defends corners magnificently, and even tracks all the way back into his own penalty box. But there are several young players in the squad who will surely benefit from seeing how Ronaldo trains, his extreme professionalism.  But does this mean we aren't going to be in the running for Haaland?

 

I'm still calm, but this is getting pretty weird now.  This transfer window might have jumped the shark.

 

I'm positive about it as i was Cavani, even though i wasn't so much with Zlatan because i felt like it'd affect the game time of Rashford and Martial (they play wide anyway) but it's the knee jerk buying a star to score rather than developing young talent that irks me. It's different now in that Rashford is if anything overplayed and we've seen probably the best of Martial. The only young player it will affect is Greenwood who we just all say will learn from these players anyway. United had a good bench last season, now it will be in some games Ronaldo/Cavani, Rashford/ Greenwood, Sancho/Martial, Van de Beek/Pogba. 

 

Ronaldo won't do much if anything other than goal hang and score but Fernandes' desire to win has been massive (even if he does seem to throw his hands up a lot now) and more of that from Ronaldo will positively affect the team. (I know he moans too)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How they going to get round Cavani having the 7 shirt, CR77 ?

 

I don't think it's a bad bit of business, €20m ish to Juve and £480k a WEEK over 2y - Spurs spent more than that on Ndombele. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

How they going to get round Cavani having the 7 shirt, CR77 ?

 

I don't think it's a bad bit of business, €20m ish to Juve and £480k a WEEK over 2y - Spurs spent more than that on Ndombele. 

 

£70m plus whatever fees, image rights and taxes for a guy who is 36 years old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.