Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Wonder if an Unwanted/not needed but unable to get rid of XI could be put together:

Karius

Cedric Phil Jones   Ake  Mendy  

Loftus-Cheek

Lingard         Barkley 

Hudson-Odoi  Werner   Rodríguez

Ireland should have been 2-0 down, and instead they're 1-0 up. 

It's not a solid performance but it's a very confident one - and it's (over)confidence that led to Portugal's penalty, and well-placed confidence that led to the goal - a lovely ball for Connolly to run onto and probably could have scored himself.

I still feel Portugal have a goal in them, though, and wouldn't be surprised if they went on to win, but fuck - if Ireland come out of this with something then they might actually have a slim chance of recovering the campaign.

27 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Wonder if an Unwanted/not needed but unable to get rid of XI could be put together:

Karius

Cedric Phil Jones   Ake  Mendy  

Loftus-Cheek

Lingard         Barkley 

Hudson-Odoi  Werner   Rodríguez

Tiemoue Bakayoko is still at Chelsea after he signed for 40m in 2017, I only remember him because he was mentioned on one of the talksport phone ins the other day! on loan at AC Milan for the second time after being on loan at Napoli & Monaco aswell

23 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

Tiemoue Bakayoko is still at Chelsea after he signed for 40m in 2017, I only remember him because he was mentioned on one of the talksport phone ins the other day! on loan at AC Milan for the second time after being on loan at Napoli & Monaco aswell

Also Jack Wilshere.

Inspired by this story about Rangers charging £117 for their EL 3 match package compared to Celtic's £72, I'm curious how much youse pay for tickets (season or otherwise at your clubs).

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-announce-europa-league-21455043

I get the impression you could see Celtic at home to Leverkusen or Betis for not much more than some League 2 games in England, but I know there's going to be some bargainous clubs worth visiting for a game when in the area

That is just fucking heartbreaking. Portugal deserved to get something out of the game but Ireland's effort and performance warranted more than a defeat.

Now they need to pick themself up and put in two performances in front of the fans in Dublin and turn the confidence they've played with into some wins.

57 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Ireland should have been 2-0 down, and instead they're 1-0 up. 

It's not a solid performance but it's a very confident one - and it's (over)confidence that led to Portugal's penalty, and well-placed confidence that led to the goal - a lovely ball for Connolly to run onto and probably could have scored himself.

I still feel Portugal have a goal in them, though, and wouldn't be surprised if they went on to win, but fuck - if Ireland come out of this with something then they might actually have a slim chance of recovering the campaign.

Luck of the Irish.

31 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Inspired by this story about Rangers charging £117 for their EL 3 match package compared to Celtic's £72, I'm curious how much youse pay for tickets (season or otherwise at your clubs).

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-announce-europa-league-21455043

I get the impression you could see Celtic at home to Leverkusen or Betis for not much more than some League 2 games in England, but I know there's going to be some bargainous clubs worth visiting for a game when in the area

My season ticket this year was £494 for 19 games (£26 per game).  The overall price hadn't risen for seven years but went up £1 per game this year.  It's the third highest priced available ticket.  On the day price for the same ticket is £35.

Cup games last year were a flat £10 anywhere in the stadium.  Our EL run in 2018 had tickets priced at £15 anywhere in the stadium.

Ronaldo is incredible. You can't deny he's the most consistent player to have ever played the game. I've been lucky enough to watch all the modern great players (since the early 80s) but he's simply the best. That record is just ridiculous. He never seems to miss a game either. 

It’s going to be fascinating what he does at Man U.

The big issue they’ve had under Ole is failing in the big cup games and their game management in them.

If Ronaldo is in the pitch and they are one down (or even two down) or drawing in the last ten minutes then he can absolutely turn it around against any opposition on his own. So all Ole has to do is not sub him.

9 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

It’s going to be fascinating what he does at Man U.

The big issue they’ve had under Ole is failing in the big cup games and their game management in them.

If Ronaldo is in the pitch and they are one down (or even two down) or drawing in the last ten minutes then he can absolutely turn it around against any opposition on his own. So all Ole has to do is not sub him.

Ole doesn't sub anyone 😛 That's half the problem with that Villa Real game :(

46 minutes ago, Plissken said:

My season ticket this year was £494 for 19 games (£26 per game).  The overall price hadn't risen for seven years but went up £1 per game this year.  It's the third highest priced available ticket.  On the day price for the same ticket is £35.

Cup games last year were a flat £10 anywhere in the stadium.  Our EL run in 2018 had tickets priced at £15 anywhere in the stadium.

That's decent.

ronaldo, all time international top scorere...

just another reason Ronaldo IS better than messi...along with...moving around different leagues AND being top score in them.

And time will tell, but returning to the most physically demanding league at 36, while messi swans off to psg and ligue 1...can messi do it on a cold night in stoke, can he fuck.

9 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Say what you want about Ronaldo, but he’s box office. That’s definitely the way you want to break a record. 

He certainly smashes any ROI's he encounters.

I've not seen Ronaldo play much at Juve, just limited to the odd champions league game or Portugal in the Euros

Saw the last 25m of game last night and that seems to be a good example of my perception of how he plays now, he's almost a parody of his younger self and in open build up play and is far less effective, he's all frustration and arm waving at perceived fouls and not getting the ball - but in the box and especially in the air he's still fantastic.

I believe he'll accumulate quite a few goals still but the interesting question remains will it be to the detriment of other players, I wonder if Fernandes will rise to the competition in the team or take a different role which may make him less effective (especially at getting fantasy points).

Fernandes and Ronaldo seem to do alright together in the national team.  I’m still in the camp who feel Manchester United didn’t really need Ronaldo he’s a slight upgrade in an area where they were already ridiculously strong but football is showbusiness as much as it is sport and Ronaldo has given Manchester United fans that feel good factor.  He’s good enough that he’s not going to flop, they’ve denied Manchester City his signature and that’s probably enough, right? I felt like they’d finish top four but not be a serious contender for the title without him and I feel the same now.  

Ronaldo was largely absent last night, especially in the first half where his penalty miss was pretty much all he did. Shifted out to the wing to get on the ball more in the second half but often cut inside and smashed a shot straight at the first defender.

And then he fired in two perfect headers to win the game. Even on a shit day, he knows where the net is, and give him that sniff and he'll punish you. Also, he hit the target with a free kick, which is an improvement for him.

17 hours ago, Plissken said:

Not going to blame the players too much - more the clubs who tempt players away with salaries that their current club cannot afford before shipping out the manager who wanted them six months later and finding themselves stuck for four more years with someone the new guy doesn't want (and the guy after that won't play because they've not had enough playing time). 

For obvious reasons my sympathy is slightly limited but the choice between getting paid and getting games for someone who presumably grew up wanting to actually play football must not be an easy one.

Especially for those players who've come through the youth system at "their" club.