Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

100% right, after the pain of losing the final to Italy and this being the redemption path to the next World Cup I'm sure Gareth Southgate, the most thoughtful and intelligent England manager we've seen in a long time, is picking his teams now on the basis of annoying Villa fans and cheering up the Man City fans.

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As a thought experiment, assuming Grealish stayed at Villa this summer, anyone believe that the starts v Hungary and is benched v Andorra?

No? It's remarkable what a month and 3 appearances with a CL club does for your international standings.

Mightn't the fact that Southgate spent the most successful part of his playing career at Aston Villa, and got most of his England caps while he was there, make him slightly less likely to be biased against picking Villa players than other managers might be?

7 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Mightn't the fact that Southgate spent the most successful part of his playing career at Aston Villa, and got most of his England caps while he was there, make him slightly less likely to be biased against picking Villa players than other managers might be?

Iirc Southgate hasn't spoken that fondly of his time at Villa since leaving. But that's not the point I was making - he's been more open to playing non-top 4 players than other managers have been. The point is that, with Grealish at Villa, he was seemingly absolutely loathe to play him and had him pegged firmly as a squad player. He didn't get starts, he got limited minutes as a sub - the few times this wasn't the case were in friendlies (or effectively friendlies in the case of the UNL) besides the Czech game at the Euros, where he starts because Mount is out (and is promptly dropped after). Then the first match since his move he starts and appears to have been moved into the first choice string.

It's just remarkable that he makes that jump the moment he moves. I can't help thinking the record would have remained token minutes in meaningful matches if he didn't wear a sky blue rag of a weekend these days.

Don’t forget that Phil Foden is out injured at the moment who was a starter in the first couple of Euro games so that’s one less person competing for that attacking slot. And no Sancho. I don’t see Mount or Sterling being ousted from the starting line up any time soon. 

For today obviously Lingard played well but I was impressed with Bellingham’s touch. I wonder how long before he is regularly in the starting line-up. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Iirc Southgate hasn't spoken that fondly of his time at Villa since leaving. But that's not the point I was making - he's been more open to playing non-top 4 players than other managers have been. The point is that, with Grealish at Villa, he was seemingly absolutely loathe to play him and had him pegged firmly as a squad player. He didn't get starts, he got limited minutes as a sub - the few times this wasn't the case were in friendlies (or effectively friendlies in the case of the UNL) besides the Czech game at the Euros, where he starts because Mount is out (and is promptly dropped after). Then the first match since his move he starts and appears to have been moved into the first choice string.

It's just remarkable that he makes that jump the moment he moves. I can't help thinking the record would have remained token minutes in meaningful matches if he didn't wear a sky blue rag of a weekend these days.

Absolute nonsense.  Southgate clearly considered Grealish a key member of his squad.  He put him into games when England needed something different, an attacking boost. He was pretty much always the first attacking change. Southgate picks teams for specific opponents, he doesn't have a first eleven and a bunch of back ups. He treats the squad like a Swiss army knife. Grealish demands the ball, carries it forward, beats players, and wins free-kicks.  When that is what the situation demands, he'll get picked. When England want someone to run in behind, he probably won't be picked. I'm flabbergasted by your take here.

Point of order, but I think only Spurs have provided more England international players than Villa. Buendia wasn’t in the starting XI either.  

As for the incident? Argentina have kinda been dicks about the entire thing, I’m not sure what pressure they put on their players to accept the call ups but they were so focused on their pissing match with the Premier League it seems that they entirely forgot to make a plan for what would happen in Brazil.  

Villa thought they had some workaround where they’d be available for the games against Venezuela and Brazil but miss the third game against Bolivia, flying back to a training camp in Croatia (presumably with the Spurs lads) so they could come back to England having only missed one game, which for us would be Chelsea away.  As soon as the plane was in the air there was a “lol no” message from Argentina which probably scuppered all plans.  I’m guessing the training camp in Croatia will still happen just so they don’t have to spend two weeks in a hotel at Heathrow. 

Here’s looking to the October and November international breaks.  :facepalm:

Saka is the next heartache for Arsenal fans as it's inevitable he'll get tapped up by bigger teams playing CL football within the next couple of years. At least he's on a long contract so we are spared the leaving on a free or sign da ting dramas we usually get.

I can't think of another utility player who is so good, he's not a fill in handyman, he's a quality PL starter in multiple positions. You look at other odd job men like Oxlade-Chamberlain and know they aren't really that good in most positions, their lack of defined position comes with a ceiling on performance level, Saka though doesn't suffer that at all and genuinely I believe he's going to be leaving us for a lot of money in the medium term, probably in order to fund us wasting that fee on the next rebuilding by signing duffers for OTT fees and putting them on OTT wages.

53 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Apparently Martinez and Buendia are flying back to Europe today and going to Croatia.  The Spurs players are still with the Argentina squad.  Dunno if this is true, and if so why the Spurs players didn’t get the same deal as Villa.  

They were certainly supposed to have! 

18 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Clearly the real reason it stopped is because Argentina broke international football protocol by starting two Villa players.

The England starting line up had a Villa player, a Wolves player and a West Brom player.  God knows what punishment we get, and I say that as a West Brom fan.

5 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Apparently Martinez and Buendia are flying back to Europe today and going to Croatia.  The Spurs players are still with the Argentina squad.  Dunno if this is true, and if so why the Spurs players didn’t get the same deal as Villa.  

Because spurs lolz that’s why.