Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

49 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Insightful. 

I forgot Leeds were a troupe of hectic thugs without any class.

The players too! WINK.

Hoping Elliot gets over that, mentally it's absolutely awful too. Just as you've broken through.

33 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Mate, he broke his leg. It's an automatic red regardless of if there was intent or not.

Unless there's been a recent law change, that's not how it works. Sometimes - granted, rarely - a challenge that isn't dangerous or malicious ends up causing serious injury. This looked to be one of those on my viewing.

Just now, GamesGamesGames said:

Unless there's been a recent law change, that's not how it works. Sometimes - granted, rarely - a challenge that isn't dangerous or malicious ends up causing serious injury. This looked to be one of those on my viewing.

You're wasting your time. He's flounced off to his safe space after I pointed this out to him. 

33 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Do none of you think it’s a bit distasteful to be outraged at someone being sent off for that? Like maybe just keep your thoughts to yourself whilst there’s a kid with a career threatening injury on his way to hospital.

Was anybody outraged? It's a fair observation.

17 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I don't want to be disrespectful but you know what you are going to get against Leeds.

Well I find that disrespectful tbh.

Leeds play perfectly acceptable football and are an attractive side to watch. 

The injury was horrific but purely accidental, and the referee did not even give a foul in the first instance.  Red card was given purely as a result of the injury, and I would not be at all surprised if it is overturned.

WITNESSED.

Grown men who can't keep their cool in front of their computer in a dark room are somehow judging high pressured professional athletes who have adrenaline pumping through their veins as tens of thousands of fans cheer them on.

More updates as the story unfolds.

*UPDATE* Several of the men in their dark rooms are now finding the comments of other men in dark rooms 'disrespectful'.

16 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Well I find that disrespectful tbh.

Leeds play perfectly acceptable football and are an attractive side to watch. 

The injury was horrific but purely accidental, and the referee did not even give a foul in the first instance.  Red card was given purely as a result of the injury, and I would not be at all surprised if it is overturned.

Haven't you heard? The laws of football have been changed in this very thread! 

3 hours ago, Hamus said:

I have the feeling Leeds will stun Liverpool today and get right into them.

Could be a battering loss for the Kloppites.

Mate I’d probably have stayed out of the thread for a bit after making this prediction :lol:

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

Do none of you think it’s a bit distasteful to be outraged at someone being sent off for that? Like maybe just keep your thoughts to yourself whilst there’s a kid with a career threatening injury on his way to hospital.

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Ben Mee did a knee high scissor tackle on a player's standing leg resulting in native ligament damage and didn't even get a card.

No he fucking didn’t do a knee high scissor tackle (cue posting of the image taken a second after he got the ball which deliberately gives completely the wrong impression) and it was even reviewed by VAR.

But, hey, narrative is narrative.

32 minutes ago, Plissken said:

No he fucking didn’t do a knee high scissor tackle (cue posting of the image taken a second after he got the ball which deliberately gives completely the wrong impression) and it was even reviewed by VAR.

But, hey, narrative is narrative.

vWzVhhb_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

wesley.jpg

Spoiler

ENN_ZZSWkAA1uoq.jpg

Spoiler

e5Dw9hd_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Spoiler

Ekh9DdNXUAEM-VT.jpg

It's a contact sport and accidents happen. Even the best tackle could end up with legs tangling or someone lands badly. I'm sure we all wish Elliott well and hope he recovers as soon as possible but there was nothing nasty about that challenge. I understand why the ref sent him off but he clearly want going to before he saw the injury. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

vWzVhhb_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

So, got to the ball ahead of his opponent, has his eyes focused on clearing it and unlike his opponent is not stretching to get there because he's getting his side of the foot there where Wesley at most will get a toe on it.  Or as it's known in part of Birmingham, a deliberate knee high scissor tackle with the sole intention of injuring the other player and proof of a League conspiracy because neither the referee nor VAR awarded a red card (nor even overturn the original award of a goal kick).

It had an unfortunate outcome but this sort of thing occasionally happens in matches.  Like today.

To this day I’ve no idea why he did that or what his motivation was, the guy was an absolute roaster. Was always blowing his top about something. From memory he could have easily had three straight reds in that game. Like I think he slapped two players and also stamped on Van Persie’s head, which in retrospect does redeem him somewhat. Mad bastard somehow played for Real too. Crazy.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

To this day I’ve no idea why he did that or what his motivation was, the guy was an absolute roaster. Was always blowing his top about something. From memory he could have easily had three straight reds in that game. Like I think he slapped two players and also stamped on Van Persie’s head, which in retrospect does redeem him somewhat. Mad bastard somehow played for Real too. Crazy.

I think Adebayor had a lot of off field problems which led to him not really achieving what he should have on the pitch. I liked him at Spurs and wish he had succeeded. 

Adebayor struck me as one of those players for whom football was a job rather than a vocation but when he could be arsed to prove a point was practically unplayable.  The problem was always getting him motivated for more than five games a year.

He played against my lot in the EL for Istanbul.  Pre-game I was worried but he came on after 66 minutes and was completely anonymous before missing a sitter..