IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

It's just inconsistency innit. If you go back through those dismissals there's three for bad tackles, two of which were given as yellows initially and one from Xhaka which is one you kind of have to give so no complaints there. The rest are stupid letter of the law incidents where we've been shocking at the back and dragged people down, or when Leno punched the ball outside his box for some reason. This Arsenal team are laughably soft but seem to get the book thrown at them at every opportunity. None of them were as bad as challenges Pogba and Tarkowski didn't even get booked for. 

I think it's a delicate line to tread for Arsenal journalists to criticise officials when the facts are we have picked up a lot of reds. Arseblog made a good go of it the other day that's worth a read, and really it was more a point about the ridiculous edicts that get delivered each season by the PGMOL that last a few games. None of it seems to be codified, but tackles from the back and follow throughs now seem to be fine as long as it 'keeps the game flowing', whatever that means. I think a lot of people can see the iceberg coming, notably Klopp a few weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

Presumably you're happy about this, do you think he's been convinced he'll have some money to spend now (because surely he'd be out if they continued to let him try and improve the team)?

Absolutely delighted. Transfer budget was an issue under the previous owners. Dyche had not complained about the spending on the club infrastructure and selling of players but was rightly pissed off at the lack of incoming transfers.

The old owners crossed the line between being prudent and being cheap. We were sitting with £60m in the bank and walking away from Championship sides who wanted £12m when we would offer £7m and be dragged kicking and screaming to £10m before declaring the price was too high. It left us with literally one fit winger for large chunks of last season which is ridiculous.

Atmosphere on Saturday at the Turf should be great. And for fans of violence, a team with 10 red cards in 62 matches will be taking on a team with zero in 97 games.

Spoiler

Arsenal have more red cards under Mikel Arteta (10) than Burnley have in their seven and a bit seasons in the Premier League (8).

6 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I did laugh when Gary Neville condemned Tarkowski's challenge as having no place in the game. Bit rich coming from a bloke who kicked so much shit out of Antonio Reyes he effectively ended his career in English football. 

Phil did most of that kicking. If you can call it so much - got into him twice and he was in his shell until he left the country.

Sad story, Reyes. Anyone who has spent time amongst the locals of the region would know a move abroad really isn't a goer. I was raised amongst them so feel OK about saying that.

18 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Absolute bs. A World Cup every 2 years is such a shit idea.

Agreed.  I think FIFA have overlooked one fairly obvious thing - country teams don't play together regularly.  They try to compare to the Champions League (which is yearly) but that involves (European but...) club teams who play nearly every single week for 38-42 weeks.  Country teams play once a month together if that, but they want to have a World Cup every 2 years?  So how will that work then?  How will you fit in suitable qualifiers?  Or are you going to get round that by doubling the size of the World Cup, diluting the competition further and making it even harder for anyone to host it?

1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

Agreed.  I think FIFA have overlooked one fairly obvious thing - country teams don't play together regularly.  They try to compare to the Champions League (which is yearly) but that involves (European but...) club teams who play nearly every single week for 38-42 weeks.  Country teams play once a month together if that, but they want to have a World Cup every 2 years?  So how will that work then?  How will you fit in suitable qualifiers?  Or are you going to get round that by doubling the size of the World Cup, diluting the competition further and making it even harder for anyone to host it?

I think Wenger's plan is that all qualifiers are held over 2 separate months.

So it's going to involve moving the Euros etc and having summer football 3 out of 4 years?

I think I'd just stop watching summer football at that point.  Same as I used to plan my life around Grands Prix but when it went to 21 weeks of the year I just gave up and now watch fewer live than I did when it was 15 a year I watched religiously.

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

Same as I used to plan my life around Grands Prix but when it went to 21 weeks of the year I just gave up and now watch fewer live than I did when it was 15 a year I watched religiously.

Pretty much me with club football. There's so much of it available on telly, every day of the week, that it's lost any real buzz of excitement until the business end of the season. It's become humdrum, and that'll happen to the World Cup too if keeps increasing in size and regularity.

12 minutes ago, layten said:

Couple of my friends are there this afternoon. Glad you have made them all welcome. :hat:

First all season we’ve been second best. It was a bit bad second half how every time the play was stopped two of your players were on their arse, but no complaints. 

Losing our first three home games without scoring is awful but our performances do deserve better. 

Problem is it’s a competitive league this season, could turn out badly for us. 

1 minute ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

First all season we’ve been second best. It was a bit bad second half how every time the play was stopped two of your players were on their arse, but no complaints. 

Losing our first three home games without scoring is awful but our performances do deserve better. 

Problem is it’s a competitive league this season, could turn out badly for us. 

Is it better than Nuno ball?