Jump to content
IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022


Plissken
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Waggo said:

 

First 2 were embarrassing dives.  He may have had a case with the 3rd, but serves him right for the other 2.

Ahh right, forgot VAR operates on ‘serves him right’ basis. Also, wrong about the 2nd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The second was the most embarrassing of the 3.  

 

VAR clearly doesn't operate on a serves him right basis, but will only intervene to overturn the referee's decision for a clear and obvious error.  Ref had obviously had enough of the diving at that stage, so ruled out the pen without a second thought and VAR obviously thought there was not  enough there to overturn that decision.  

 

If it were up to me the third incident would never have happend, as he should have been booked and then sent off for two obvious simulations.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It always surprises me how people can ignore not only the existence of a fully trained professional referee but also a couple more with access to instant replays across multiple angles that they can check over and over again in favour of their own opinion which just so coincidentally happens to agree with their own biases.

 

The Graun MBM today is a perfect example written by a Man Utd fan raging at his side not getting a couple of penalties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Plissken said:

 

The Graun MBM today is a perfect example written by a Man Utd fan raging at his side not getting a couple of penalties.

Presumptuous.

 

Also yes, professional referees never make mistakes. Love you all

😘

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gabzy said:

Presumptuous.

 

Also yes, professional referees never make mistakes. Love you all

😘

 

It's Rob Smyth, an excellent writer who has never been shy about his club affiliation.

 

As for professional referees making mistakes, that's precisely what VAR was brought in to help solve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I hate watching Villa. Every time a commentator mentions bloody Matty Cash I can’t help but sing a bastardised version of Dirty Cash by The Adventures of Stevie V. “I’m Matty Cash, the one that you ask for, wanted by the rich and the poor…”

 

Semi-related, one of the BTCC support races has a driver called "Aston Millar".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It'll only be for an hour or two (unless Spurs manage to pull off something incredible), but third in the league!

 

Acknowledging 2 disallowed goals it's the first time we've managed to beat this very good Leicester side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Waggo said:

The second was the most embarrassing of the 3.  

 

VAR clearly doesn't operate on a serves him right basis, but will only intervene to overturn the referee's decision for a clear and obvious error.  Ref had obviously had enough of the diving at that stage, so ruled out the pen without a second thought and VAR obviously thought there was not  enough there to overturn that decision.  

 

If it were up to me the third incident would never have happend, as he should have been booked and then sent off for two obvious simulations.

 

 

 

 

:lol:

 

Anyway I'm getting confused. Which one is the second one? 

 

There was the one where Ronaldo went past the defender, and the defender put his leg right across him to block him. Ronaldo was changing direction away from the defender but was unable to avoid him. The defender blocked him and stopped him getting to the ball, making no attempt to play the ball, the contact was not initiated by Ronaldo. It was a nailed on penalty and certainly not a dive.

 

Then there was the one where Ronaldo went for a cross he probably wasn't going to get anyway, the defender grabbed his arm for a second and Ronaldo threw himself to the floor. There wasn't enough to give a penalty, but there wasn't any justification for Ronaldo being booked either as the defender had grabbed him, and referees have created a situation where no fouls are ever given if a player stays on their feet. If a player feels they have been fouled they're justified in going down these days. I don't like it, but that's the reality of football now. A booking for diving has to be where the attacker knows there's no foul and tries to con the referee.

 

And there's the last one, where even the most blinkered of opposition fans admits Ronaldo was brought down and it should have been a penalty. Your "serves him right" (presumably for playing for Man Utd) justification is pretty embarrassing.

 

Were there other ones? Am I misremembering the order of events?

 

@Fry Crayola I like your idea, but good luck finding anyone who is genuinely unbiased on a match involving any of the big clubs, particularly Man Utd and Liverpool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Pfft, if you take the stridently moronic opinions out of football discussion, then where would we be?  


It would just be me and Dizogg posting between ourselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gabe said:

I saw an incredible stat earlier that Nuno's teams in the PL have failed to score in the first half of 83 (now 84) of his 118 (now 119) games.

Just meant more time in the pub before we had to go the the ground. Very thoughtful of him really. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nuno is performing as well at Tottenham as you would expect for a 5th-choice manager I guess.


Also, is Werner ever going to find his feet in the PL? He's clearly got talent but just seems to be 'doing a Torres' in a Chelsea shirt at the moment (though his medal cabinet probably doesn't care!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Also, is Werner ever going to find his feet in the PL? He's clearly got talent but just seems to be 'doing a Torres' in a Chelsea shirt at the moment (though his medal cabinet probably doesn't care!)

 

It appears not, since he came on he's actively made the team less of a threat.  You might actually have been 3 up as 10 men.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

 

It appears not, since he came out he's actively made the team less of a threat.  You might actually have been 3 up as 10 men.

It's a shame, he has pace, a good work ethic and from his Bundesliga days he knows where the goal is, but it just isn't happening and you have to think it is now a mental thing stopping him being able to really push on. I thought with Lukaku being the main man there now it would help and let him play with a bit less pressure, but is still missing relatively simple chances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

It's a shame, he has pace, a good work ethic and from his Bundesliga days he knows where the goal is, but it just isn't happening and you have to think it is now a mental thing stopping him being able to really push on. I thought with Lukaku being the main man there now it would help and let him play with a bit less pressure, but is still missing relatively simple chances.

 

Yeah, and to be fair Chelsea has a habit of ruining forward players.    In the last decade + it's really only been Drogba and Costa that properly bucked the trend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.