IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I know it's old news but what the hell was Martin Atkinson (and VAR) thinking on Sunday at West Ham?!  Soucek clearly taken out...no penalty, free kick to Man U🤣

Ronaldo clearly fouled (1st one), no penalty either😲

Atkinson letting Nolan come on the field before the penalty as well...he could have done West Ham a favour there and told Moyes not to be so stupid😉

The officials have played a blindingly bad game there!

2 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

The officials have played a blindingly bad game there!

They really have, haven't they?  They missed three clear penalties (the Wan-Bisakka one should have been a pen too, bias fans) and in fact Martin Atkinson missed all four because he gave a corner after Luke Shaw's handball!  Astonishingly crap.

54 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

They really have, haven't they?  They missed three clear penalties (the Wan-Bisakka one should have been a pen too, bias fans) and in fact Martin Atkinson missed all four because he gave a corner after Luke Shaw's handball!  Astonishingly crap.

Didn't see a Wan-Bisakka one, or are you talking about when he took it Soucek?

23 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

The Luxembourg ladies are hilariously bad. 🤣 England have thrashed them 0-10!

I mean have you seen the population size of Luxembourg compared to England?

Our owners are really pushing the brand, Wolves, the wolf head, as much as they can, it's a big reason they brought the club.

They're doing a lot in esports and fashion as well as this recent move.

It's bothering fans as I believe a lot of this is through the Fosun group rather than the club.  I guess the idea is you build a broad fan base, it would have been better recieved after not losing four games out of five, having scored one goal in those five games (not including the own goal) and neglecting areas of the pitch that need attention though.

We'll see how it goes, I like the community aspect of it, it definitely adds more than all the esports to the local area.

We could very easily lose this weekend to Southampton and things could turn nasty quickly.  Could be our first Big Sam season.

12 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Our owners are really pushing the brand, Wolves, the wolf head, as much as they can, it's a big reason they brought the club.

They're doing a lot in esports and fashion as well as this recent move.

It's bothering fans as I believe a lot of this is through the Fosun group rather than the club.  I guess the idea is you build a broad fan base, it would have been better recieved after not losing four games out of five, having scored one goal in those five games (not including the own goal) and neglecting areas of the pitch that need attention though.

We'll see how it goes, I like the community aspect of it, it definitely adds more than all the esports to the local area.

We could very easily lose this weekend to Southampton and things could turn nasty quickly.  Could be our first Big Sam season.

I guess as long as they don't want to mess with the name, or your colours.......

1 minute ago, Ork1927 said:

I guess as long as they don't want to mess with the name, or your colours.......

I think they'd prefer us to be called "Wolves" over "Wolverhampton Wanderers"

I'm fine with either, but it never sounds right to me when people call us just "Wolverhampton"

The name and colour are one thing, but if they ever apointed OGS as manager there would be trouble :) 

Didn’t Wolves used to be more orange and black rather than yellow? Going back 30 years or so. 

The first league game I ever saw was my local team Southend playing Wolves. Could have been any time between ‘88 to ‘92 ish, I’m not when they’d have shared a division. Anyway, I remember Steve Bull smashing a thunderbastard against the bar and later scoring a header maybe. Think it was 2-0 or 2-1, but I’m sure you were more orange. 

Edit, yep!

BE35EDC7-DEEB-4886-9379-F6FBAE6DBC6B.thumb.jpeg.4bd5c7e65a15d8f894694a6ce832f5ec.jpeg

Steve Bull scored his 250th goal at roots hall in the 94/95 season.

Regarding the colour, it's a contentious issue.  In my opinion we've been far too orange since 2000 ish.  90s colour was nice, but I love the shade more on the yellow side that we have this season and the 18/19 season.

This matches the actual colour, old gold, as I understand it, which is a lighter shade.

Love to go away to Southend United, it looks like a fun ground.

I saw a copa90 video on the problems there recently and it's pretty sad.

Wolves being 'old gold' is just one of those things you know round here.

Although like Villa they have the problem that the colour isn't easily defined so you end up with variations on a theme that don't quite match what it should be.

There's a good chance fans of funny faces could be in for a treat tonight, as Phil Jones is in the matchday squad for Man Utd.

I hope he starts, plays a blinder, and scores. Nobody deserves what that poor bastard has gone through in the past couple of years.

Can’t see Wolves going down, even if it’s just the old “there are three worse teams” situation.   It’s a transitional season.  New manager, new ideas so lower mid table is probably the order of the day. If it’s still shit at Xmas then the club have enough money to do something in the January window.  

I was shocked at how well the 3rd string side we put out at Chelsea did. If Sanson wasn't seemingly cursed to never be fit for 90 mins I could see us winning that.

Hard to believe that Archer was on loan at Solihull Moors a year ago.

On 22/09/2021 at 15:45, dr_manhattan^ said:

Steve Bull scored his 250th goal at roots hall in the 94/95 season.

Regarding the colour, it's a contentious issue.  In my opinion we've been far too orange since 2000 ish.  90s colour was nice, but I love the shade more on the yellow side that we have this season and the 18/19 season.

This matches the actual colour, old gold, as I understand it, which is a lighter shade.

Love to go away to Southend United, it looks like a fun ground.

I saw a copa90 video on the problems there recently and it's pretty sad.

Ha, thought I recognised that guy. Then he introduced himself. He was the union rep at customs and excise when I worked there in 2004 and they sort of wanted to sack me. He was adamant they had no right to but they really did. Cut a deal in the end. Is a nice bloke, think he lives next door to a friend. He used to always use Smiths songs as headlines in the customs staff newsletter thing. 

The start is also really similar to a ‘music video’ I made last year. I guess everything around here would look the same. 

I’ve never supported Southend. I went to school with their ’legendary captain’ CB Adam Barrett and he played a game in the B team with me when we were 11. I was in goal. He played a suicidally underhit back pass which the opposition scored from. 

Years later I was given free tickets when I worked at RBS, whose insurance company sponsored them. 10 minutes in and I see him play a suicidally underhit back pass which the opposition scored from. He was always a bit of a dick at school. Though, to be fair, not as bad as his mates who were real fucking scumbags. I think he could have been alright if he hadn’t hung around with them. 

Anyway, I never really got to see games  as a kid so my local team became Liverpool because they were who I saw on my telly the most in the ‘80s. Can’t get more local than your front room. 

23 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Well, a very young Villa side just gave Chelsea a bloody good run for their money at Stamford Bridge.  Been there twice already this season, probably been the better side on both occasions and came away with fuck all.  

I was there and agree, Villa should have been 2-0 up before half time and Chelsea's 3 subs were all absolute first teamers.

Also yes I heard the "Champions of Europe" chants.  And yes, I know. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12416189/drinking-in-seats-at-football-grounds-could-be-reinstated-as-part-of-a-fan-led-review-into-the-game

This sounds like a bad idea and yeah - sure, let people drink pitch side and they will slowly sip their pint throughout the game and not drink even more.

The example in the article is looking at a team in non-league, but a packed stadium with people up and down all game to get pints in, getting more and more pissed doesn't seem the way to go especially as the driver seems to be so clubs can make more money.  Maybe little betting consoles on each seat as well to ensure its easier to do in play gambling for those in the ground and the club get a cut of every bet?

"We kettle people into drinking quickly at half-time. And that is the unhealthy aspect of the football fan's relationship with alcohol. They drink a lot in a short space of time. So my recommendation is to pilot this and not have to down a pint at half-time."