Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

The rules around alcohol in stadiums are ridiculous, but I'm not sure that is the solution.

Then again, the pissheads are going to have had several pints before the game anyway so I'm not sure what restricting them inside the ground achieves - or derestricting them would achieve.  A drunk twat is going to be a drunk twat.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

The rules around alcohol in stadiums are ridiculous, but I'm not sure that is the solution.

Then again, the pissheads are going to have had several pints before the game anyway so I'm not sure what restricting them inside the ground achieves - or derestricting them would achieve.  A drunk twat is going to be a drunk twat.

Yeah - but ideally drunk twat spending most of the game in the concourse rather than going back and forth past you all game to get another pint/go for a piss/repeat is preferable.

And if they don’t sell pints during play the all you get is people still downing pints at half time then getting another one to drink during the game/immediately throw in the air.

I don't know how common it is because I've only gone to Ice Hockey in some very weird locations but in Minsk they went as far as stopping people entering the main stadium except during breaks in play.

But football as mentioned doesn't really have them.

Very common in hockey.  Wait for a break in play before leaving / returning to your seat.  Here it's more of a custom but in the NHL games I've been to, it's a rule.  (Not least because people in the aisles used to block camera angles in some arenas.)

I've seen Ice Hockey in Belarus, France and er.. Milton Keynes so I can't say I've had the full experience :D

Open containers in the stands would probably stop me going to football though, fuck driving home smelling of whatever beer brand is sponsoring us this week.

Why do people have to have alcohol at sports events? Why can’t they just go without for a couple of fucking hours? The obsession with combining alcohol with any imaginable leisure activity must be the cause of so many of society’s problems. Keep it in the pub, in the evening. It doesn’t need to be anywhere else where it can force its influence and effects on people who don’t want it to. 

2 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I think it would make sense to have designated areas of the stadium where you can drink, so if you want to avoid it, you just don’t sit in that stand. 

How do you choose those because 2 issues occur.

1 - With several clubs now, and Chelsea are one, just getting a ticket at all is a struggle with a website queue so you don't always have a choice.

2 - The likely "best" options for those are the... shall we say "Standing" stands.  Which generally are marginally at least cheaper than the calmer ones.  So now you tell the expensive, less rowdy fans they're the ones with stricter rules?

Feels early to say Leeds are in trouble but Leeds are in trouble. We have had bad runs before but usually with a points cushion in place.

We could have won that. The fact we were beat and beat late is really worrying

1 minute ago, kensei said:

Feels early to say Leeds are in trouble but Leeds are in trouble. We have had bad runs before but usually with a points cushion in place.

We could have won that. The fact we were beat and beat late is really worrying

Just looked at the table, didn't realise how badly you were doing.

I was really worried about Leeds away in four games time too.

Why are you guys struggling so much?

11 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Just looked at the table, didn't realise how badly you were doing.

I was really worried about Leeds away in four games time too.

Why are you guys struggling so much?

We've had Man U and Liverpool (with a red card for a bonus) out of the 6 games, there's a huge number of injuries and we're just not firing consistently. 

The press just isn't quite right at the minute, which means we're leaking goals and at the same time were missing ones we were burying last season. We should have been two ahead a few times this afternoon but if you don't take your chances you'll be punished. Now pressure is building without a win. Watford next week looks a must win.

I think we were complacent with the squad this summer, fair to say most Leeds fans expected more signings.

If we go down Bielsa is still a hero. 

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

So Villa went to Old Trafford with Mike Dean as ref and Manchester United not having had a penalty this season, so of course a soft penalty was given in stoppage time to give Man U the poi-

Wait. We won. We won. Against Mike Dean's Manchester United. At Old Trafford. Even with with the bent cunt giving a soft pen.

Today is a beautiful day. A beautiful claret and blue day.

I was gonna ask, that’s got to be the only time Man Utd have lost at home with Dean refereeing. 

1 minute ago, Pockets said:

I was gonna ask, that’s got to be the only time Man Utd have lost at home with Dean refereeing. 

What's worse is that their goal came from a corner that came off a Villa player and then they had an offside player impeding De Gea when the ball went in. My Mike Dean posters went straight in the bin after that.

According to this https://www.worldfootball.net/referee_summary/mike-dean/manchester-united/4/ we've lost 6 times at home with Dean officiating (30 games since 2002 fact fans) with the last time being against Arsenal in November :quote:

22 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Any idea why MacGuire didn't get sent off for pulling down McGinn?  Inside own half?

I mean he plays for Manchester United, so there's that.   I couldn't care less today though, winning like that and having them miss an injury time penalty exorcises a few demons from days of yore.    

Villa are in a good place right now.   Leon Bailey has only played about 45 minutes all season, Ollie Watkins still doesn't look 100% but we've reached a point where we can rotate and change the game with players who aren't in the first XI so it's not crippling us.  It's been about ten years since I've been able to say that about Aston Villa and it feels good man.   Spurs away next, and they've got a Conference League game they kinda need to win (admittedly against a side their reserves should be able to do a job on) before they play us.  A point down there and somehow we've managed to handle a tricky opening bit of the season pretty well.   

Spoiler

Then more fun with the South American international call ups.