Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Whilst disappointed Liverpool  didn't win (Salah was far too casual when clean through), I can't help but enjoy Brentford's tenaciouness - and they can play, no doubt about that. I'm not going to grumble about taking a point. 

Well done the Bees! 

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Any idea why MacGuire didn't get sent off for pulling down McGinn?  Inside own half?

A few ideas

He plays for Manchester United

He's a high profile England player

The match was at Old Trafford.

The referee was Mike Dean.

Because he would have been sent off...

And so on. Maguire would have had to have shot him to be sent off.

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A few ideas

He plays for Manchester United

He's a high profile England player

The match was at Old Trafford.

The referee was Mike Dean.

Because he would have been sent off...

And so on. Maguire would have had to have shot him to be sent off.

It was ridiculous that he wasn't booked, but I'm assuming he wouldn't have been sent off due to him not denying a clear goalscoring opportunity (given the pace of the ball and a covering player).

Sorry, quoted the reply and not the OP.

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

I don’t understand what Solksjar is saying about the Villa goal being offside. It’s a header from a corner??

edit. Oh he meant Watkins. Clutching at straws there!

I think Ole's point was that Leicester had two goals disallowed last week for the same thing, so there's no consistency.

56 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Watkins did block the keeper, but then Bruno Fernandes stamped on Ezri Konsa last year, was awarded a penalty for it and it nearly got us relegated.  So fuck em.  

Yeah, in a season of bad VAR decisions last year, that was an appalling one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58690844

The 1-0 win, thoroughly deserved and confirmed by Gabriel Jesus's deflected 53rd-minute strike, wrote Guardiola's name even more indelibly in Manchester City's history as this was 221st victory in all competitions, the highest ever achieved at the club.

This, however, was a side issue after a performance that carried all the hallmarks of champions and sent out a powerful message to Chelsea and any other rivals that Manchester City will not give up their crown easily.

I mean City only managed a point at Southampton last weekend and really should have lost that game, this feels like bit of an overreaction. They should beat PSG midweek and if Liverpool defend like they did against Brentford they should beat them to but this reaction reminds me of people thinking Liverpool would win the title after they put seven past Palace last season and we all know what happened then. 

20 hours ago, Hamus said:

I do love how all the early predictions of how good Chelsea are now, results in them not even having a shot on target in maybe their biggest home game of the season.

Bottling it already?

Media shite, Chelsea were never better than 3rd favourites. You'll find plenty of posts of me saying it.

That said, 3 points from Spurs and City is above expectations.

But equally as above it's one fucking game.  City were arse last week against mid table opposition, Man Utd were this week, Chelsea ripped a CL challenger apart last week.

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Media shite, Chelsea were never better than 3rd favourites. You'll find plenty of posts of me saying it.

That said, 3 points from Spurs and City is above expectations.

But equally as above it's one fucking game.  City were arse last week against mid table opposition, Man Utd were this week, Chelsea ripped a CL challenger apart last week.

Chelsea have been better than 3rd favourites with the media and bookies, regardless of what you said. 

And how is 3 points above expectations? You would've been expected to beat Tottenham because you always d (plus you are just comfortably a better team than them), and get at least a point from City given that you have tactically out-fought them in every game Tuchel has had against Pep so far. 

Just now, englishbob said:

I can't see any of this - only what the BBC Sports page tell me - but as its 3-0 the Tottenham supporters might as well leave now for the early train.

Some of them already are :lol: 

Just now, englishbob said:

I can't see any of this - only what the BBC Sports page tell me - but as its 3-0 the Tottenham supporters might as well leave now for the early train.

A lot of them have.🤣🤣🤣

What I love about derby day is that it will instil a false sense of hope for Arsenal winning lots of trophies afterwards, and cement what I already know as a Spurs supporter - it's not going to change until the whole team is recycled.