Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I'm furious truth be told, absolutely terrible from Palace even ignoring the two defensive masterclasses that gifted the goals.

Poor choices of balls to play, passes too long or too short, long balls to an outmuscled Edouard.

The less said about Ayews crossing the better.

18 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

I'm furious truth be told, absolutely terrible from Palace even ignoring the two defensive masterclasses that gifted the goals.

Poor choices of balls to play, passes too long or too short, long balls to an outmuscled Edouard.

The less said about Ayews crossing the better.

Truth be told, you’ve been the better team. Better choices near the box and we’d have been behind. I can only presume that Rodgers’ instructions to Chaudhury were to pass the ball to the opposition or out of play at every available opportunity. 

20 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Fucking Brentford made of paper. A stiff breeze sends them to the floor. Pretty unimpressed with them tbh.

Unimpressed at the game management or unimpressed in general? I can understand the former but not really the latter. They’ve been fearless and tenacious to the extreme. 

We are always going to be playing a little bit on the back foot when it comes to possession as our player stats are so much worse than most other peoples. We have to leverage some sort of advantage out of the game via legal means. Playing hard pressing football and slowing the game down when ahead is a much more entertaining than parking the bus. 

1-2! Woooooooo. 

Zaha was nonexistent in that half, a big positive that they can still perform without him because in the last couple of years they've needed him to be up for it to get anything out of most games.

Things are looking positive, from the outside anyway, for this Palace team under Viera.

6 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Unimpressed at the cheating. Undeserved win that for them.

It was bloody awful when they beat us too. 

I don’t blame Brentford at all, the referees need to get a grip of it. 

However it looked like we were doing it in the following game so I guess we learned from it. 

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

You’d have taken three points from the games away at United and Spurs I expect though right? So anything would be a bonus here. 

At the start of the season yes, but winning at Old Trafford and following it up with a turgid display against a wobbling Spurs isn't good.

38 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Was the same in the first half and we somehow went in 2-0 up. Hanging on here. 

We should have won that one, just as we should have won the Brighton game, big concern is too many draws has a habit of sending one team down every year.

20 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Zaha was nonexistent in that half, a big positive that they can still perform without him because in the last couple of years they've needed him to be up for it to get anything out of most games.

Things are looking positive, from the outside anyway, for this Palace team under Viera.

This is the big difference (not least because he's lost a yard of pace and isn't always making the right decisions)

Conor Gallagher has been immense so far, and the high pressure tactic with Edouard, Zaha and Gallagher seems to suit us very well.

I think Palace will be fine this season. Recruitment has been excellent and considering they’re all bedding in they’ve done well. Confident that will manifest itself in more victories in the coming months. 

45 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

It was bloody awful when they beat us too. 

I don’t blame Brentford at all, the referees need to get a grip of it. 

However it looked like we were doing it in the following game so I guess we learned from it. 

I don't blame them either and you're absolutely right in that it's the ref's job to get a grip, which in this case he most definitely didn't. I mean 'Zanka' (it's not his name but what is on his shirt - Jonasson?) should have had about 5 yellows over the course of the match. They impeded Fabianski and the ref looked the other way and their keeper slammed the ball onto Antonio's head (who was looking in the direction of our goal) and spilled it and they got a freekick?

Fair play to them, they got forward well, pressed the fuck out of us for the first half and Toney made some delicious passes but cut the shit out guys; you're a better team than getting the keeper spoken to for timewasting after 53 mins. 

Worst first half from West Ham I've seen in the last couple of seasons. Way too many players looked like they'd already played today.

Outrageous goal from Salah, but even though I think City were the better team it is frustrating to lead 2 leads slip for the second game in a row, so it feels like 2 points dropped. 

Still, that goal :wub:

The Liverpool-City game had contenders for goal of the season by Salah, tackle of the season by Rodri, and most baffling non-sending-off for Milner, twice. 

He was lucky to stay on against Villa as well if you ask me, when he shoved Watkins as he was in the act of shooting. In the Watkins challenge, the ball looped up and ended up hitting the post so he got away with it as the referee presumably considered Watkins to have got his shot away.  Milner seems to have entered the period of his career that Gary Neville occupied in his last season, when his legs had gone, he couldn't keep up, and refs were taking pity on him and not sending him off.  It's sad to see.

Milner definitely should have walked for that challenge on Silva.  You have to protect the players.  You cannot deny that. You cannot say ‘that’s a challenge, I love watching that’ – watch wrestling if you like these kinds of things.

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

The Liverpool-City game had contenders for goal of the season by Salah, tackle of the season by Rodri, and most baffling non-sending-off for Milner, twice. 

He was lucky to stay on against Villa as well if you ask me, when he shoved Watkins as he was in the act of shooting. In the Watkins challenge, the ball looped up and ended up hitting the post so he got away with it as the referee presumably considered Watkins to have got his shot away.  Milner seems to have entered the period of his career that Gary Neville occupied in his last season, when his legs had gone, he couldn't keep up, and refs were taking pity on him and not sending him off.  It's sad to see.

I think this is a pretty good summary the match, yeah. In the Liverpool thread I was saying Milner was a liability even before he got booked, it was clear Foden was targeting him and he couldn't keep up. I'm not sure about his legs having gone just yet though, he was still powering up and down the line, he's never had pace though so City were always going to expose him with the speed they have in their side.

Salah's goal was ridiculous though (and his bit of skill for the first goal was very good too) and even though it was annoying to see, I have to take my hat off for Rodri's block.

I know it's early doors, but we might just have a proper title fight this season if the big six continue to drop points against each other, as that's usually where you see the difference over the season.

11 hours ago, Gabe said:

I think this is a pretty good summary the match, yeah. In the Liverpool thread I was saying Milner was a liability even before he got booked, it was clear Foden was targeting him and he couldn't keep up. I'm not sure about his legs having gone just yet though, he was still powering up and down the line, he's never had pace though so City were always going to expose him with the speed they have in their side.

Salah's goal was ridiculous though (and his bit of skill for the first goal was very good too) and even though it was annoying to see, I have to take my hat off for Rodri's block.

I know it's early doors, but we might just have a proper title fight this season if the big six continue to drop points against each other, as that's usually where you see the difference over the season.

And Brentford, Villa, West Ham, Everton and Brighton!? look like they are capable of taking points off of the big six.

27 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

And Brentford, Villa, West Ham, Everton and Brighton!? look like they are capable of taking points off of the big six.

They definitely are, yeah, but usually it is the games versus the other clubs challenging you were the real difference is made. 

It's true that there are rarely any easy games in the PL these days and long may it continue.

17 hours ago, Gabe said:

Outrageous goal from Salah, but even though I think City were the better team it is frustrating to lead 2 leads slip for the second game in a row, so it feels like 2 points dropped. 

Still, that goal :wub:

I’m looking at the goal over and over again and can’t make out how he did it. I need a close up in slow motion to see how he managed to leave five of City’s players for dead. If that was produced by Messi in his prime people would be exploding over replays of it. You’d say it was impossible to score from that situation but not only did he do it he made it look so simple.