IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

50 minutes ago, Jazz Glands said:

I support the team, not the regime.

Clearly. Some of us, in similar situations, chose to support the club. Others went with the team and opened their wallets.

Edit: I wrote this with a bit of spite, which is residual from 2005 events. Anyway, just own up that you don't care enough about the new ownership to walk away from funding it. You'll get a point or two for honesty, even if your dignity's out the window.

I would consider the Newcastle fanbase victims here - they're caught between the rock of breaking a lifelong affinity for a football side, and the hard place of being thankful for an atrocious regime. I'd like to see them loudly voice their opposition to any Saudi-backed buyout throughout their stewardship, if it happens, and anyone delighting in newfound riches without questioning their source should be punched repeatedly by a topless horse.

47 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I would consider the Newcastle fanbase victims here

Yes, thank you, this is how it feels.

It's very easy to say we should just walk away and never pay a single penny in. I understand Snake & Co are not actually suggesting it's easy, just that it's a no brainer decision.

It's sad though. I remember seeing long standing season ticket holders around my seat on the first game of this season. Various people, many 60+ etc who've obviously been in that seat for a long while saying hello to each other - clearly having not seen those faces since before the pandemic. People they've shared a space in the grounds every other weekend for god knows how long. 

They literally just got all that back and we are basically saying to them they have to abandon it again. The thing is if this club is bought by these people then it's quite likely never changing hands in my lifetime, so when we're saying that - we're also telling them forever. 

As you say, victims.

1 hour ago, Jazz Glands said:

Except it’s not. It’s been pretty clear that the takeover wouldn’t be ratified unless the buyers could prove they are a separate entity to the Saudi state. Which seemingly they have now done, according to reports.

Like I said, the official position seems to be that the Public Investment Fund, i.e. the national sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia (chairman, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia) is a separate entity to the Saudi state.

But I don't blame the fans for pretending that it is, if the Premier League have officially done so.

24 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Yes, thank you, this is how it feels.

It's very easy to say we should just walk away and never pay a single penny in. I understand Snake & Co are not actually suggesting it's easy, just that it's a no brainer decision.

It's sad though. I remember seeing long standing season ticket holders around my seat on the first game of this season. Various people, many 60+ etc who've obviously been in that seat for a long while saying hello to each other - clearly having not seen those faces since before the pandemic. People they've shared a space in the grounds every other weekend for god knows how long. 

They literally just got all that back and we are basically saying to them they have to abandon it again. The thing is if this club is bought by these people then it's quite likely never changing hands in my lifetime, so when we're saying that - we're also telling them forever. 

As you say, victims.

Its rather grotesque to consider football fans victims in a case of their club being taken over by a deplorable regime, when there exists actual victims of said regime. Many of whom have suffered torture and murder. 

The inflated sense of entitlement in football fandom is far from victimisation. Having to evaluate your sense of morals is not comparable to actual persecution. The fanbase has to make a simple decision, to vocally and financially support Newcastle under this ownership is to legitimise the new owners and by extension their human rights abuses. Giving up a season ticket is not comparable to the suffering of real victims. 

It’s reprehensible that this take over is even allowed. Another sad day for English football that flushed its moral compass down the toilet in pursuit of greed many years ago. It would be so amazing if the support united against this take over and showed that football fans at least are not in thrall to money but I have a sinking feeling that a large portion at least don’t care what atrocities their owners commit as long as it brings their club success. 

Still, there's fun to have in a "Newcastle will beheading to the Champions League" gag, so there's that.  I don't know if it's just me getting older but the realisation that you can really do fuck all about this leaves me numb.  Even if the Geordies walked away from the club because of this, it doesn't matter because there's a million glory hunting bastards in Jakarta, Melbourne and Riyadh who just want to see their new favourite team smash the oiks.  

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

It's very easy to say we should just walk away and never pay a single penny in.

Nobody is saying it's easy. All I can say is that I've been doing it for over fifteen years, under circumstances far-less appalling than yours, and that it is the right thing to do. By all means kid yourself otherwise if it makes you feel better.

I was home and away, domestically and in Europe, plus the odd pre-season jolly, for close to twenty years. Not only is it a case of it can be done, but it must be done. As an individual you have to keep hold of your core values, and if your club's ownership crosses a red line then that's that.

1 minute ago, cowfields said:

You literally removed the bit in my post where I said:

"I understand Snake & Co are not actually suggesting it's easy"

So perhaps lay off with the "By all means kid yourself" snarks. 

I don't know who Snake and Co. are, so apologies if I'm amongst their number.

From grim experience, it's the lads who start with "it's hard to walk away" who largely end up kidding themselves. Again, apologies if you show yourself not to be amongst them.

12 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Nobody is saying it's easy. All I can say is that I've been doing it for over fifteen years, under circumstances far-less appalling than yours, and that it is the right thing to do. By all means kid yourself otherwise if it makes you feel better.

Yet, there you are mere weeks ago in this very thread using the term ‘we’ when describing Man Utd. So I call bullshit on that. 

Lots of stones being thrown from glass houses. It’s legally binding that the consortium are separate from the Saudi state, with the club being at risk from expulsion if this is not the case. Seems pretty decisive to me. 

Ashley gone, at last. Enjoy it, Cowfields. I know I will :) 

1 minute ago, Jazz Glands said:

Yet, there you are mere weeks ago in this very thread using the term ‘we’ when describing Man Utd. So I call bullshit on that. 

Lots of stones being thrown from glass houses.

I still watch them, you berk. I just don't give them, or modern football, a penny. It is possible you know.

5 minutes ago, Jazz Glands said:

Haha so that’s your justification. By watching them and therefore effectively supporting them through TV rights etc, just not buying a shirt, you don’t think you’re being a massive, pious hypocritical prick? 

Well let's see. Since the takeover they have had £0.00 from me, plus the costs at their end for the trouble made in 2005 and again in 2010. As an individual that's about the best I can do. The only thing they care about, they haven't had.

Still, enjoy bending over for your new masters and all they represent. You've clearly already decided it's not a problem. Kerching.

3 hours ago, El Pibe said:

Supporting a lower or non-league club is great fun and I find that I feel so much more a part of the club and every penny you spend with them makes a real difference and helps keep them going.

That's very commendable and applies to many clubs in this country apart from Exeter City and Wycombe who are inherently evil. 

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Its rather grotesque to consider football fans victims in a case of their club being taken over by a deplorable regime, when there exists actual victims of said regime

That's true, not my intention to draw any equivalence there, only to state that football fans don't get a say in who runs their club (sadly) and so a buyout such as this basically fucks them over. Which is probably par for the course in modern football.

Much better they turn their backs though than shrug and go along for the ride.

Lots of stones being thrown from glass houses. It’s legally binding that the consortium are separate from the Saudi state, with the club being at risk from expulsion if this is not the case. Seems pretty decisive to me. 

Might want to rein in your talk of stones being thrown....

Surely you’re not that naïve? I appreciate you’re getting grief from some of us on here and it’s not my intention to make it a pile-on but there really can be no justification for this decision. The fit and proper test has always been whether your bank account is big enough. 

I’m lucky in that Leicester have decent owners. At present. I’m aware that this could all change tomorrow. I’m also aware that our owners didn’t get to be multi millionaires by being selfless entrepreneurs, many toes must have been stepped on along the way. 

If we’d been bought out by the Saudis I’d be utterly aghast and I’d like to think I could sever part of my emotional bond with the club. Reality is that it is hard to abandon such a relationship. Most people will have been in love with their football club for longer than they’ve been in love with their partner. I’d like to think I would find it impossible to reconcile my support for a club with the owners wholesale disregard for human rights. Newcastle fans never asked for this and despite their hatred for Ashley, would surely never have chosen such new owners.  

Newcastle are just another example of the priority with which those in charge of football place money over humanity. FIFA look the other way when workers die in Qatar. FIFA & UEFA treat racism as if it’s a minor issue. Teams (mine included) put gambling advertising all over their stadiums and shirts. 

It’s depressing and as powerless as I am,  I’m complicit in allowing it to continue in this way. 

39 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Surely you’re not that naïve? I appreciate you’re getting grief from some of us on here and it’s not my intention to make it a pile-on but there really can be no justification for this decision. The fit and proper test has always been whether your bank account is big enough. 

I’m lucky in that Leicester have decent owners. At present. I’m aware that this could all change tomorrow. I’m also aware that our owners didn’t get to be multi millionaires by being selfless entrepreneurs, many toes must have been stepped on along the way. 

If we’d been bought out by the Saudis I’d be utterly aghast and I’d like to think I could sever part of my emotional bond with the club. Reality is that it is hard to abandon such a relationship. Most people will have been in love with their football club for longer than they’ve been in love with their partner. I’d like to think I would find it impossible to reconcile my support for a club with the owners wholesale disregard for human rights. Newcastle fans never asked for this and despite their hatred for Ashley, would surely never have chosen such new owners.  

Newcastle are just another example of the priority with which those in charge of football place money over humanity. FIFA look the other way when workers die in Qatar. FIFA & UEFA treat racism as if it’s a minor issue. Teams (mine included) put gambling advertising all over their stadiums and shirts. 

It’s depressing and as powerless as I am,  I’m complicit in allowing it to continue in this way. 

Of course I’m conflicted by it. I’d have greatly preferred a far, far poorer, but without the links to human rights abuses, consortium come in and buy us, I really would. I, probably naively, hope that the added spotlight on Saudi Arabia may lead to some sort of an improvement in their human rights record. But then I’m also happy that the local area, where I still have family, will have much needed investment and that my club, who I’ve loved since a kid, will finally be free of Mike Ashley and the 14 years of misery he’s brought. 
Like I said, it’s easy for people to speak from a distance and say anyone with a moral compass should immediately stop supporting the team, when it’s not their team they’re talking about. I’ve long since admired Leicester’s ownership and would love my team to have an owner like that come in, but it seems they’re firmly in the minority.