Jump to content
IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022


Plissken
 Share

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Guess Newcastle will have to rename the Sports Direct Arena now.  All that history gone in an instance just like that. So tragic!!!!  :omg:


You know the Saudis will have to pay extra to remove him front the rights deal. And he’ll have a nice concession on merchandise.

 

Not that the non-Government owners will care. Check out their non-government website at https://www.pif.gov.sa/en/Pages/About-OurLeadership.aspx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

It’s legally binding that the consortium are separate from the Saudi state, with the club being at risk from expulsion if this is not the case. Seems pretty decisive to me. 

 

I'm letting most of this go but there is no way on Earth there exists a human being this credulous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Newcastle fans on here are getting an unfair kicking for not ripping up their season tickets, burning their shirts and vowing to support Carlisle.

 

But, the fan in Saudi costumes celebrating like they've won the World Cup feel a lot more deserving of critiscm.

 

You wonder if its going to be a case of being careful what they wish for.  Even with unlimited funds, its no guarantee that it won't take years to crack the top 4 of the Prem. Sure they'll improve on their current position quite quickly from January, but it might be a good few years of battling Spurs and Villa for the UEFA cup spots given this isn't League 1.

 

And if/when Newcastle do become a big six club will the Premier League still exist in its current form. You'd imagine the Saudi's will have considerable clout if they decide to get on board with European Super League 2 or assist some of the other clubs in closing up the Premier League or maybe Newcastle's title winning game will be taking place in Saudi and not at St James Park as they manage to push a Game 39 type deal through?

 

I'm sure a good many fans won't give a shit if the money is being spent, but what if the Crown Prince doesn't like black and white and/or birds then maybe a rebrand ends up onthe cards

 

If their WWE Saudi shows are anything to go by then maybe it won't be Mpabbe they want playing up front, but Shearer coming out of retirement 😉

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

 

I'm letting most of this go but there is no way on Earth there exists a human being this credulous. 

 

There is, and he's in charge of the Fit and Proper Persons test.  After all, the same person said that Portsmouth owner passed the test and he didn't actually exist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Plissken said:

 

There is, and he's in charge of the Fit and Proper Persons test.  After all, the same person said that Portsmouth owner passed the test and he didn't actually exist.

 

Oh yeah that was a good one.

 

Some excellent phrasing by Sky in their "Who owns the clubs" article.

 

image.png.12f446bde202953608f11544468122bb.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

 

That's very commendable and applies to many clubs in this country apart from Exeter City and Wycombe who are inherently evil. 

Gareth Ainsworth is actually quite a nice bloke. I have no comment about Wycombe as a team though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Dudley said:

 

I'm letting most of this go but there is no way on Earth there exists a human being this credulous. 


The proof of this appears to be how the takeover has proceeded, on the legal basis that if this transpires to not be the case, the club face expulsion.
Though I admit I’m clutching at straws for the sake of my own cognitive dissonance here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So...it turns out a Newcastle supporter whom i "used" to have on facebook has banned me!

 

why...well...i queried why they where cheering on their club being taken over by the Saudi government...to which their response was "well i think the club need to go forward, doesn't mean i support their policies"...

 

i responded...if you are cheering them on...yes...yes you are cheering on the saudi government...the same Saudi government that literally cut a journalist up...they have now blocked me...for pointing out they were cheering on the most deplorable nation on earth...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s not on Newcastle as a club or their fans in particular to decide if Saudi Arabia are a country we do business with.  Rightly or (wrongly in my opinion) the UK government is happy to deal with the country, and even considers them to be an ally.  Either that changes or Newcastle are perfectly entitled to work with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Surely you’re not that naïve? I appreciate you’re getting grief from some of us on here and it’s not my intention to make it a pile-on but there really can be no justification for this decision. The fit and proper test has always been whether your bank account is big enough. 
 

I’m lucky in that Leicester have decent owners. At present. I’m aware that this could all change tomorrow. I’m also aware that our owners didn’t get to be multi millionaires by being selfless entrepreneurs, many toes must have been stepped on along the way. 
 

If we’d been bought out by the Saudis I’d be utterly aghast and I’d like to think I could sever part of my emotional bond with the club. Reality is that it is hard to abandon such a relationship. Most people will have been in love with their football club for longer than they’ve been in love with their partner. I’d like to think I would find it impossible to reconcile my support for a club with the owners wholesale disregard for human rights. Newcastle fans never asked for this and despite their hatred for Ashley, would surely never have chosen such new owners.  
 

Newcastle are just another example of the priority with which those in charge of football place money over humanity. FIFA look the other way when workers die in Qatar. FIFA & UEFA treat racism as if it’s a minor issue. Teams (mine included) put gambling advertising all over their stadiums and shirts. 
 

It’s depressing and as powerless as I am,  I’m complicit in allowing it to continue in this way. 

It used to be said that you needed to be a millionaire to own a football club, then it became a billionaire.  Now it’s state owned, or dodgy deals like the ones the Glazers used (funny how protests have died down there lately isn’t it?).  Here’s a depressing thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Waggo said:

It’s not on Newcastle as a club or their fans in particular to decide if Saudi Arabia are a country we do business with.  Rightly or (wrongly in my opinion) the UK government is happy to deal with the country, and even considers them to be an ally.  Either that changes or Newcastle are perfectly entitled to work with them.

This is true, I don't think it's ever really appreciated that our government does deals with these sort of places, but I guess you just expect our government to be cunts these days, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgive my naivety, but what does a country with the assets of Saudi Arabia want with a football team like NUFC? Sportswashing aside, which I can’t see being a big factor, they’re never going to see a return on their investment if they spend the necessary money to turn the club around surely?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bigger clubs, plus also Arsenal, are valued at a billion plus so I suppose there's an investment case for buying Newcastle for a bargain £300m, pumping the same in again to make them competitive, and ending up with a vastly more valuable club once they've achieved great sporting success. Nothing can go wrong with that plan, surely?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hmm said:

The bigger clubs, plus also Arsenal, are valued at a billion plus so I suppose there's an investment case for buying Newcastle for a bargain £300m, pumping the same in again to make them competitive, and ending up with a vastly more valuable club once they've achieved great sporting success. Nothing can go wrong with that plan, surely?

It’s not an investment for financial gain. 
It’s an investment for reputation gain. 
 

£300m won’t make Newcastle competitive. There’s going to be a premium added to prices for them. A marquee player is going to cost them £50m and they’re going to have to replace a lot of dross to challenge for a Top 6 place. I reckon they’ll throw £50m at Brentford for Toney in January yet still end the season with Joelinton on the wing and Darlow in goal. With the exception of Saint-Maximam (sic?) there’s not a single player I’d keep. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stopharage said:

It’s not an investment for financial gain. 
It’s an investment for reputation gain. 
 

£300m won’t make Newcastle competitive. There’s going to be a premium added to prices for them. A marquee player is going to cost them £50m and they’re going to have to replace a lot of dross to challenge for a Top 6 place. I reckon they’ll throw £50m at Brentford for Toney in January yet still end the season with Joelinton on the wing and Darlow in goal. With the exception of Saint-Maximam (sic?) there’s not a single player I’d keep. 

 

Willock?

 

This whole thing is very confusing for me. As  a West Ham fan I know all about having shit owners and wanting them out. Some fans will get into bed with the Devil if it means getting despised owners out but that can, and usually does have very big implications (bye bye Boleyn Ground 😪 ). I'm also married into a Geordie family and I'm eagerly awaiting to see what my huge Newcastle fan and very left wing FIL thinks about it all. That is going to be some circle to square.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, neoELITE said:

 

That's very commendable and applies to many clubs in this country apart from Exeter City and Wycombe who are inherently evil. 

:lol:

 

Not sure being a fan (albeit a slightly absent one at that) of Bristol Rovers could be called fun either... :(

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Scruff said:

 

Willock?

 

This whole thing is very confusing for me. As  a West Ham fan I know all about having shit owners and wanting them out. Some fans will get into bed with the Devil if it means getting despised owners out but that can, and usually does have very big implications (bye bye Boleyn Ground 😪 ). I'm also married into a Geordie family and I'm eagerly awaiting to see what my huge Newcastle fan and very left wing FIL thinks about it all. That is going to be some circle to square.

He's squaring being left wing and loving a sport that's sees people being charged fortunes and players earning vast amounts of money anyway. 

 

Saudi Arabia doesn't come into it for me. I feel positive about my club for the first time since Bobby was sacked. Chelsea fans don't care how Abromocivh made his money, Man Utd fans weren't tearing up their season tickets when they formed a business partnership with SA a few years back and they also weren't taking the moral high ground when it was rumoured the PIF were looking into buying them. They don't boycott Disney or Starbucks so why is it on us to be the moral gatekeepers of football? 

 

It won't make a difference to SA's standing in the world if they buy us or not. Politically we're not going to make a difference either, that chance has gone. If its sports washing they're after they'd surely see better results from buying a newspaper or other media outlet.

 

So fuck it. Wake up one morning to find out you're the richest club in the world, I'm along for the ride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, luckypierre said:

Man Utd fans weren't tearing up their season tickets...

 

Some of us were, as soon as the ownership was untenable. You don't care about your club's integrity, so just admit it. Don't play pretend like you're being treated unfairly, or lie that nobody has ever done the right thing, just in order to excuse yourself.

 

Here are some dance moves for when MBS wants to put some riyals in your thong.

 

 

Spoiler

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, luckypierre said:

He's squaring being left wing and loving a sport that's sees people being charged fortunes and players earning vast amounts of money anyway. 

 

Saudi Arabia doesn't come into it for me. I feel positive about my club for the first time since Bobby was sacked. Chelsea fans don't care how Abromocivh made his money, Man Utd fans weren't tearing up their season tickets when they formed a business partnership with SA a few years back and they also weren't taking the moral high ground when it was rumoured the PIF were looking into buying them. They don't boycott Disney or Starbucks so why is it on us to be the moral gatekeepers of football? 

 

It won't make a difference to SA's standing in the world if they buy us or not. Politically we're not going to make a difference either, that chance has gone. If its sports washing they're after they'd surely see better results from buying a newspaper or other media outlet.

 

So fuck it. Wake up one morning to find out you're the richest club in the world, I'm along for the ride.

 

I get that nothing is whiter than white in any industry and there are plenty of reprehensible regimes/owners/companies involved in football and many other sports ect but this really seems like a Rubicon moment; you simply can't equate an owner having made money with shady deals and massive corruption (and I'm sure more than a few 'accidental deaths' along the way) with what the Saudi's represent and I'm worried on how that will impact upon Newcastle in the long run and what it will cost you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking aloud here but the last 24 hours have brought me to a crossroads I feel like.
 

My enthusiasm for football has been waning for years now and maybe this is a good time to get off the gravy train as far as the professional game is concerned.

 

The truth is I’ve known this for a while but I carried on supporting Everton and watching games from the PL, CL etc.


What’s happened at Newcastle is less of a line crossed and more of a wake up call for me that this sport is almost completely detached from the people at the professional level and that I should get out if I am not okay with that.

 

Supporting the EPL means being okay with the payouts and rights deals going into the likes of Chelsea, City and Newcastle when I know damn well who their owners are. There’s no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that but businesses like sports live and die over the number of eyes locked onto them. With that said, maybe it is time to avert my eyes away from the big leagues.

 

I’ve found a lot in football from joy to extreme emotions I’ve rarely ever felt elsewhere but doing so means pushing everything off the pitch out of my mind which is wrong and I know it’s wrong.

 

That all said there’s a Phoenix club back in my hometown that needs to climb up 4 tiers of welsh football to get where it ought to be so maybe I should focus on that from now on even if it isn’t as big or glamorous as what I’m used to. I’ll never abandon Everton but as a club they are part of the same machine which enabled the current climate and that’s a truth which can’t be ran away from no matter how much good Everton in the Community do off the pitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Thinking aloud here but the last 24 hours have brought me to a crossroads I feel like.
 

My enthusiasm for football has been waning for years now and maybe this is a good time to get off the gravy train as far as the professional game is concerned.

 

The truth is I’ve known this for a while but I carried on supporting Everton and watching games from the PL, CL etc.


What’s happened at Newcastle is less of a line crossed and more of a wake up call for me that this sport is almost completely detached from the people at the professional level and that I should get out if I am not okay with that.

 

Supporting the EPL means being okay with the payouts and rights deals going into the likes of Chelsea, City and Newcastle when I know damn well who their owners are. There’s no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that but businesses like sports live and die over the number of eyes locked onto them. With that said, maybe it is time to avert my eyes away from the big leagues.

 

I’ve found a lot in football from joy to extreme emotions I’ve rarely ever felt elsewhere but doing so means pushing everything off the pitch out of my mind which is wrong and I know it’s wrong.

 

That all said there’s a Phoenix club back in my hometown that needs to climb up 4 tiers of welsh football to get where it ought to be so maybe I should focus on that from now on even if it isn’t as big or glamorous as what I’m used to. I’ll never abandon Everton but as a club they are part of the same machine which enabled the current climate and that’s a truth which can’t be ran away from no matter how much good Everton in the Community do off the pitch.

That’s exactly how I feel too, I may start watching some non-league football in the Hull area, there must be plenty of teams around here that could really do with my support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Integrity 😄

 

What should I do scruff? Not enjoy a win? Not go to a match? I can sit here and twist myself in knots about the brutality of SA but it makes no difference. I can't disconnect myself from the team I've supported for 40 years. It's not rational is it. That doesn't mean I'm a cheerleader for SA. It doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer another billionaire owner but that's not up to me. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

That all said there’s a Phoenix club back in my hometown that needs to climb up 4 tiers of welsh football to get where it ought to be

 

CPD y Rhyl 1879!  Man, I was well out of touch, hadn't even realised they folded the old club formally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.