IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

1 hour ago, Jazz Glands said:

Yet, there you are mere weeks ago in this very thread using the term ‘we’ when describing Man Utd. So I call bullshit on that. 

Lots of stones being thrown from glass houses. It’s legally binding that the consortium are separate from the Saudi state, with the club being at risk from expulsion if this is not the case. Seems pretty decisive to me. 

Ashley gone, at last. Enjoy it, Cowfields. I know I will :) 

Might want to rein in your talk of stones being thrown....

1 hour ago, Jazz Glands said:

Lots of stones being thrown from glass houses. It’s legally binding that the consortium are separate from the Saudi state, with the club being at risk from expulsion if this is not the case. Seems pretty decisive to me. 

Surely you’re not that naïve? I appreciate you’re getting grief from some of us on here and it’s not my intention to make it a pile-on but there really can be no justification for this decision. The fit and proper test has always been whether your bank account is big enough. 

I’m lucky in that Leicester have decent owners. At present. I’m aware that this could all change tomorrow. I’m also aware that our owners didn’t get to be multi millionaires by being selfless entrepreneurs, many toes must have been stepped on along the way. 

If we’d been bought out by the Saudis I’d be utterly aghast and I’d like to think I could sever part of my emotional bond with the club. Reality is that it is hard to abandon such a relationship. Most people will have been in love with their football club for longer than they’ve been in love with their partner. I’d like to think I would find it impossible to reconcile my support for a club with the owners wholesale disregard for human rights. Newcastle fans never asked for this and despite their hatred for Ashley, would surely never have chosen such new owners.  

Newcastle are just another example of the priority with which those in charge of football place money over humanity. FIFA look the other way when workers die in Qatar. FIFA & UEFA treat racism as if it’s a minor issue. Teams (mine included) put gambling advertising all over their stadiums and shirts. 

It’s depressing and as powerless as I am,  I’m complicit in allowing it to continue in this way. 

Ahh, we should remember the good old days when a well meaning millionaire fan would come in, run out of cash in 5 minutes and you'd end up bankrupt...

(Thank you Mark Goldberg, and subsequently Simon Jordan)

39 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Surely you’re not that naïve? I appreciate you’re getting grief from some of us on here and it’s not my intention to make it a pile-on but there really can be no justification for this decision. The fit and proper test has always been whether your bank account is big enough. 

I’m lucky in that Leicester have decent owners. At present. I’m aware that this could all change tomorrow. I’m also aware that our owners didn’t get to be multi millionaires by being selfless entrepreneurs, many toes must have been stepped on along the way. 

If we’d been bought out by the Saudis I’d be utterly aghast and I’d like to think I could sever part of my emotional bond with the club. Reality is that it is hard to abandon such a relationship. Most people will have been in love with their football club for longer than they’ve been in love with their partner. I’d like to think I would find it impossible to reconcile my support for a club with the owners wholesale disregard for human rights. Newcastle fans never asked for this and despite their hatred for Ashley, would surely never have chosen such new owners.  

Newcastle are just another example of the priority with which those in charge of football place money over humanity. FIFA look the other way when workers die in Qatar. FIFA & UEFA treat racism as if it’s a minor issue. Teams (mine included) put gambling advertising all over their stadiums and shirts. 

It’s depressing and as powerless as I am,  I’m complicit in allowing it to continue in this way. 

Of course I’m conflicted by it. I’d have greatly preferred a far, far poorer, but without the links to human rights abuses, consortium come in and buy us, I really would. I, probably naively, hope that the added spotlight on Saudi Arabia may lead to some sort of an improvement in their human rights record. But then I’m also happy that the local area, where I still have family, will have much needed investment and that my club, who I’ve loved since a kid, will finally be free of Mike Ashley and the 14 years of misery he’s brought. 
Like I said, it’s easy for people to speak from a distance and say anyone with a moral compass should immediately stop supporting the team, when it’s not their team they’re talking about. I’ve long since admired Leicester’s ownership and would love my team to have an owner like that come in, but it seems they’re firmly in the minority.

Lies and deception

Clear human rights violations

No real interest in the club itself

The fans used as a means to an end

...but enough about Mike Ashley, check out all that money the Toon are getting!

33 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Guess Newcastle will have to rename the Sports Direct Arena now.  All that history gone in an instance just like that. So tragic!!!!  :omg:

You know the Saudis will have to pay extra to remove him front the rights deal. And he’ll have a nice concession on merchandise.

Not that the non-Government owners will care. Check out their non-government website at https://www.pif.gov.sa/en/Pages/About-OurLeadership.aspx

4 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

It’s legally binding that the consortium are separate from the Saudi state, with the club being at risk from expulsion if this is not the case. Seems pretty decisive to me. 

I'm letting most of this go but there is no way on Earth there exists a human being this credulous. 

The Newcastle fans on here are getting an unfair kicking for not ripping up their season tickets, burning their shirts and vowing to support Carlisle.

But, the fan in Saudi costumes celebrating like they've won the World Cup feel a lot more deserving of critiscm.

You wonder if its going to be a case of being careful what they wish for.  Even with unlimited funds, its no guarantee that it won't take years to crack the top 4 of the Prem. Sure they'll improve on their current position quite quickly from January, but it might be a good few years of battling Spurs and Villa for the UEFA cup spots given this isn't League 1.

And if/when Newcastle do become a big six club will the Premier League still exist in its current form. You'd imagine the Saudi's will have considerable clout if they decide to get on board with European Super League 2 or assist some of the other clubs in closing up the Premier League or maybe Newcastle's title winning game will be taking place in Saudi and not at St James Park as they manage to push a Game 39 type deal through?

I'm sure a good many fans won't give a shit if the money is being spent, but what if the Crown Prince doesn't like black and white and/or birds then maybe a rebrand ends up onthe cards

If their WWE Saudi shows are anything to go by then maybe it won't be Mpabbe they want playing up front, but Shearer coming out of retirement 😉

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

I'm letting most of this go but there is no way on Earth there exists a human being this credulous. 

There is, and he's in charge of the Fit and Proper Persons test.  After all, the same person said that Portsmouth owner passed the test and he didn't actually exist.

13 minutes ago, Plissken said:

There is, and he's in charge of the Fit and Proper Persons test.  After all, the same person said that Portsmouth owner passed the test and he didn't actually exist.

Oh yeah that was a good one.

Some excellent phrasing by Sky in their "Who owns the clubs" article.

image.png.12f446bde202953608f11544468122bb.png

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

That's very commendable and applies to many clubs in this country apart from Exeter City and Wycombe who are inherently evil. 

Gareth Ainsworth is actually quite a nice bloke. I have no comment about Wycombe as a team though.

33 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The proof of this appears to be how the takeover has proceeded, on the legal basis that if this transpires to not be the case, the club face expulsion.
Though I admit I’m clutching at straws for the sake of my own cognitive dissonance here. 

So...it turns out a Newcastle supporter whom i "used" to have on facebook has banned me!

why...well...i queried why they where cheering on their club being taken over by the Saudi government...to which their response was "well i think the club need to go forward, doesn't mean i support their policies"...

i responded...if you are cheering them on...yes...yes you are cheering on the saudi government...the same Saudi government that literally cut a journalist up...they have now blocked me...for pointing out they were cheering on the most deplorable nation on earth...

It’s not on Newcastle as a club or their fans in particular to decide if Saudi Arabia are a country we do business with.  Rightly or (wrongly in my opinion) the UK government is happy to deal with the country, and even considers them to be an ally.  Either that changes or Newcastle are perfectly entitled to work with them.

4 hours ago, Stopharage said:

It used to be said that you needed to be a millionaire to own a football club, then it became a billionaire.  Now it’s state owned, or dodgy deals like the ones the Glazers used (funny how protests have died down there lately isn’t it?).  Here’s a depressing thought.

4 minutes ago, Waggo said:

It’s not on Newcastle as a club or their fans in particular to decide if Saudi Arabia are a country we do business with.  Rightly or (wrongly in my opinion) the UK government is happy to deal with the country, and even considers them to be an ally.  Either that changes or Newcastle are perfectly entitled to work with them.

This is true, I don't think it's ever really appreciated that our government does deals with these sort of places, but I guess you just expect our government to be cunts these days, right?

Forgive my naivety, but what does a country with the assets of Saudi Arabia want with a football team like NUFC? Sportswashing aside, which I can’t see being a big factor, they’re never going to see a return on their investment if they spend the necessary money to turn the club around surely?

The bigger clubs, plus also Arsenal, are valued at a billion plus so I suppose there's an investment case for buying Newcastle for a bargain £300m, pumping the same in again to make them competitive, and ending up with a vastly more valuable club once they've achieved great sporting success. Nothing can go wrong with that plan, surely?

4 hours ago, hmm said:

The bigger clubs, plus also Arsenal, are valued at a billion plus so I suppose there's an investment case for buying Newcastle for a bargain £300m, pumping the same in again to make them competitive, and ending up with a vastly more valuable club once they've achieved great sporting success. Nothing can go wrong with that plan, surely?

It’s not an investment for financial gain. 
It’s an investment for reputation gain. 

£300m won’t make Newcastle competitive. There’s going to be a premium added to prices for them. A marquee player is going to cost them £50m and they’re going to have to replace a lot of dross to challenge for a Top 6 place. I reckon they’ll throw £50m at Brentford for Toney in January yet still end the season with Joelinton on the wing and Darlow in goal. With the exception of Saint-Maximam (sic?) there’s not a single player I’d keep. 

2 hours ago, Stopharage said:

It’s not an investment for financial gain. 
It’s an investment for reputation gain. 

£300m won’t make Newcastle competitive. There’s going to be a premium added to prices for them. A marquee player is going to cost them £50m and they’re going to have to replace a lot of dross to challenge for a Top 6 place. I reckon they’ll throw £50m at Brentford for Toney in January yet still end the season with Joelinton on the wing and Darlow in goal. With the exception of Saint-Maximam (sic?) there’s not a single player I’d keep. 

Willock?

This whole thing is very confusing for me. As  a West Ham fan I know all about having shit owners and wanting them out. Some fans will get into bed with the Devil if it means getting despised owners out but that can, and usually does have very big implications (bye bye Boleyn Ground 😪 ). I'm also married into a Geordie family and I'm eagerly awaiting to see what my huge Newcastle fan and very left wing FIL thinks about it all. That is going to be some circle to square.

14 hours ago, neoELITE said:

That's very commendable and applies to many clubs in this country apart from Exeter City and Wycombe who are inherently evil. 

:lol:

Not sure being a fan (albeit a slightly absent one at that) of Bristol Rovers could be called fun either... :(

54 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Willock?

This whole thing is very confusing for me. As  a West Ham fan I know all about having shit owners and wanting them out. Some fans will get into bed with the Devil if it means getting despised owners out but that can, and usually does have very big implications (bye bye Boleyn Ground 😪 ). I'm also married into a Geordie family and I'm eagerly awaiting to see what my huge Newcastle fan and very left wing FIL thinks about it all. That is going to be some circle to square.

He's squaring being left wing and loving a sport that's sees people being charged fortunes and players earning vast amounts of money anyway. 

Saudi Arabia doesn't come into it for me. I feel positive about my club for the first time since Bobby was sacked. Chelsea fans don't care how Abromocivh made his money, Man Utd fans weren't tearing up their season tickets when they formed a business partnership with SA a few years back and they also weren't taking the moral high ground when it was rumoured the PIF were looking into buying them. They don't boycott Disney or Starbucks so why is it on us to be the moral gatekeepers of football? 

It won't make a difference to SA's standing in the world if they buy us or not. Politically we're not going to make a difference either, that chance has gone. If its sports washing they're after they'd surely see better results from buying a newspaper or other media outlet.

So fuck it. Wake up one morning to find out you're the richest club in the world, I'm along for the ride.