IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Just now, Naysonymous said:

I know it’s hardly a first XI who started, but bringing Grealish and Mount off the bench is just ridiculous.  I’d say I pine for the days when we’d be fucked if Beckham or Rooney were injured but I really like this strength in depth thing England have got going on at the moment. 

It is crazy, isn't it?  In the Euros, we lost our most multi-talented attacking player to injury halfway through the tournament, but hardly missed him because there were players of a similar level to come in.  And imagine having two players of the quality of Rashford and Sancho and not really needing to use them.

Haha that Andorra forward pretty much appealed for offside after he failed to put that chance away.  He turned to the linesman and made a flag waving gesture.

Getting the ball eight yards out, making a balls-up of the finish and then desperately hoping he was offside - reminds me of me in my playing days.

14 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Johnson to Grealish.  Last time they did that was in the Championship under Steve Bruce. 

To add to this I just realised that Grealish, Mount and Tamori all played in the 2019 Championship Playoff final.  For all the accusations about selection Southgate gets, it’s clear there is a path to the first team.  

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Get loaned out by Chelsea?

I mean yeah, but even that is no bad thing.  How many graduates of the Chelsea academy are having good careers post Chelsea?  Even guys who didn’t make the first team like Tamori and Declan Rice have gone on to have success.  

Woof. 

Japan are playing Australia right now in a qualifier. 1-0 down, Australia just had a penalty awarded, which VAR rescinded to a free kick in a decision that was probably just about right but really hard to call.

So Ajdin Hrustic just smashes it in off the bar. Fuck penalties.

I don't think England can have any real complaints about the penalty. I can see how Shaw would say he was just kicking the ball away, but it is dangerous play.

I think England should have had a penalty earlier when Stones was clearly fouled off a corner, but referees don't give them anymore, and this one chose to approach the incident as if both players were fouling each other, which absolutely wasn't the case.

The larger picture is that this midfield isn't working. Mount off for Henderson at half time is what I'd do, but I think it's more likely Foden will be sacrificed.

It was clearly a penalty. That’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch.  

England haven’t been bad, they’ve controlled the game against a very organised opponent and it’s only a freaky penalty which cost them.  No need to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.