Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I don't think England can have any real complaints about the penalty. I can see how Shaw would say he was just kicking the ball away, but it is dangerous play.

I think England should have had a penalty earlier when Stones was clearly fouled off a corner, but referees don't give them anymore, and this one chose to approach the incident as if both players were fouling each other, which absolutely wasn't the case.

The larger picture is that this midfield isn't working. Mount off for Henderson at half time is what I'd do, but I think it's more likely Foden will be sacrificed.

It was clearly a penalty. That’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch.  

England haven’t been bad, they’ve controlled the game against a very organised opponent and it’s only a freaky penalty which cost them.  No need to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. 

A great first half from Ireland, and barring a few breaks at the end of the half that needed some defending, they've controlled the game and offered Qatar nothing. Could have been three if Ogbene had connected better with Robinson's superb cross.

This game is made for Jack right now. There can’t be many players in the world who are better at receiving the ball under pressure and being able to make something happen.   I wouldn’t change much if I were Southgate, England had a stranglehold on Hungary towards the end of the first half and I’d keep doing that for another 15-20 minutes before looking to the bench.  

16 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I don't think England can have any real complaints about the penalty. I can see how Shaw would say he was just kicking the ball away, but it is dangerous play.

I think England should have had a penalty earlier when Stones was clearly fouled off a corner, but referees don't give them anymore, and this one chose to approach the incident as if both players were fouling each other, which absolutely wasn't the case.

The larger picture is that this midfield isn't working. Mount off for Henderson at half time is what I'd do, but I think it's more likely Foden will be sacrificed.

There was one in Lithuania v Bulgaria on Saturday. :)

22 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Yep. Looks like one of them laid a proper punch on one of the police as well. Should be another ban for their fans. 

Police statement explained it as a racist offence against a steward. The FA should have banned away supporters. 

Strange substitutions. With Saka playing right wing-back, we seem to have gone to a kind of 5-4-1 while in theory chasing a winner.  It would have been helpful to have had Mason Greenwood to bring on in a situation like this, as he's dangerous from anywhere in the last third.

4-0 in the end to Ireland, which is quite soemthing. I'll spare a thought for poor Caoimhín Kelleher, who waited patiently while Bazunu steals all the plaudits, then gets to play in one match where Ireland control things from start to finish.

39 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

The substitutions have made England worse.  

I could not understand taking Grealish off at all. If they are playing tight, then you want someone who can take the ball quickly and win free kicks surely? Either you will eventually score from a set-piece and/or they are going to get someone sent off.

Cannot understand what bringing Saka on was meant to achieve.

Mount was anonymous.

On 17/09/2021 at 10:23, Gabe said:

I think Wenger's plan is that all qualifiers are held over 2 separate months.

Sorry, missed this.  So when does club football fit into all this?  How does he expect Kane (let's say) to play club football AND also qualifiers in a two-month period?  What will happen if a country's start striker gets injured for a month, let's say, will they miss half the qualifiers and the team's club football (around 4-ish games, if a game a week)?  Or is he proposing 2 months of no club football - when will Kane (let's say) get any rest?  Is the qualifiers going to be in the seasonal club-football break?

Two non-consecutive months during which no top level club football will be played. It would be roughly the same amount of breaks that we currently have, but instead of spreading the international breaks throughout the year, they'd be concentrated into two separate blocks.

I don't think Wenger expects anything but a really big paycheque, though. The entire thing is motivated by greed - more World Cups means more big ticket matches and more money sucked out of hoodwinked nations to line FIFA pockets, and less time for UEFA to hold their own competition which rivals it for interest and income, thus limiting their power.

30 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Sorry, missed this.  So when does club football fit into all this?  How does he expect Kane (let's say) to play club football AND also qualifiers in a two-month period?  What will happen if a country's start striker gets injured for a month, let's say, will they miss half the qualifiers and the team's club football (around 4-ish games, if a game a week)?  Or is he proposing 2 months of no club football - when will Kane (let's say) get any rest?  Is the qualifiers going to be in the seasonal club-football break?

As @Fry Crayolasays, IIRC the idea is to scrap friendlies (and I'm sure FIFA would like to get rid of the Nations League too) and just have a two-month block of pure international football for WC qualifiers - and screw everything else like the Euros or Copa America (and it would hurt the Africa Cup of Nations too, I'm sure.) 

Elite players would get little to no rest, but neither UEFA nor FIFA really care about that anyway so long as they continue to make bank.

I'm still a bit lost on the logic of how it is meant to help smaller nations (as was meant to be one of the aims), but of course nobody really believed that anyway.