IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Having watched him a few times he'd be an excellent recruit for the Klopp style of play, especially considering Salah could move on in the summer if the club aren't willing to give him the contract he deserves.

Such a shame he's morphed into yet another greasy FIFA suit. 

Also I love the fallback for these things is always 'the younger generation'. Despite clubs, associations and federations doing everything they can to sell football to the highest bidder for the last 30 years and ensure as few people as possible can actually watch the games live (legally).

Wenger has always seemed interested in player welfare and was constantly moaning about breaks in the domestic season and all his players buggering off to every corner of the globe to take part in qualifiers or pointless friendlies. I think FIFA have wanted to have a biannual World Cup for a long time and I'd argue that Wenger has seen this as an opportunity to reshape the game and leave a legacy beyond English football and Arsenal. Personally I don't believe he has any interest in simply further enriching FIFA, that would be completely out of his character. 

I'm not 100% sold on more frequent World Cups, but I think there's a lot more good than bad in the proposals. It's a shame you can't have more joined up thinking from UEFA and FIFA as you could maybe work the qualifying to be a tournament in itself, with the top teams in the qualifying groups then competing in knockout rounds to win the 'Euros' and also then going to the World Cup. 

The younger generation wanting more big games is similar to Perez/Real Madrid's arguement for the Super League as the yoof want to see multi ball and El Classico 19 times a season.  And even if that was true that the younger generation don't care about tradition and only want to watch big games between the big teams - I don't believe for a second that would translate to Internationals as why would they be clamoring for Brazil vs Germany all the time or Argentina vs France they will have rarely experienced them in the first place and they can see 99% of the best players in the world playing against each other in the big European Leagues and/or the Champions League.

Do the younger generation even give a shit about internationals compared to us old farts let alone be damdning more and more of them.

The younger generation are dumb as fuck. Just like we all were except we didn’t have an output (social media) to puke our dumb opinions across the internet.

Imagine if we shaped everything in the world to what “the younger generation” wanted. Like maybe it’s better they learn to wait and watch full games. 

Basically:

01C81596-0B50-4CF4-8863-FBD1E6F3E018.jpeg.c9bbd8bd2d23b89d644ff3b46f9fa503.jpeg

18 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

It's a shame you can't have more joined up thinking from UEFA and FIFA as you could maybe work the qualifying to be a tournament in itself, with the top teams in the qualifying groups then competing in knockout rounds to win the 'Euros' and also then going to the World Cup

That reads like having internationals confined entirely to pre-season, which raises many problems. It's difficult enough for a team to play as a cohesive whole when the squads are drawn from a variety of clubs, but a year long gap between camps would be detrimental to most sides.

I'm sure that's what some people actually want, though. They want the magic of the final product without any of the foundations that support it, whether it's the summer tournament spectacle, the closed shop super leagues, squeezing fans for every last penny, or not giving players sufficient time to rest.

7 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

That reads like having internationals confined entirely to pre-season, which raises many problems. It's difficult enough for a team to play as a cohesive whole when the squads are drawn from a variety of clubs, but a year long gap between camps would be detrimental to most sides.

I'm sure that's what some people actually want, though. They want the magic of the final product without any of the foundations that support it, whether it's the summer tournament spectacle, the closed shop super leagues, squeezing fans for every last penny, or giving players sufficient time to rest.

No I completely agree with your last point. What I’m proposing would still have the month long gaps in the season for qualifying with the last one rolling into a knockout tournament that would replace the Euros, for instance. This is just trying to work within the construct of having biannual world cups whilst playing games that matter and not overloading the calendar. You’d still have two trophies to compete for, but the problem as I see it would be a slightly longer gap between regional qualifying and the final world tournament. None of it is ideal, but what we have now isn’t good either really.

20 hours ago, ryodi said:

That’s an interesting way of saying FIFA wants to get paid every two years instead of four.

Is it worth pointing out if you play "big games" too often then they cease to be big games?

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

None of it is ideal, but what we have now isn’t good either really.

What are the problems with what we have now that need addressing? 

Not saying we have perfection, but I think your proposal would be a degradation.

Bit sick of Klopp’s moaning about TV scheduling. It’s a spectator sport, what does he expect? People want to watch it. It’s perhaps one of the few downsides of being a big team, you’re gonna get scheduled on TV a lot. Deal with it. 

If today’s game had been moved back he’d be moaning it was too close to Tuesday’s CL game. 

They’re all happy enough to pocket the huge sums of cash TV brings in. 

49 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

I feel a bit sorry for Danny Rose. Raphinha tormented him last week and then he has to face Salah 😂

Unfortunately he's actually been one of Watford's better players this year. Certainly an upgrade on Masina.

Today was fucking awful but I never expected much better. Our midfield is horrendously slow and imagination-free and quite frankly Cathcart should be nowhere near a PL XI. A fun few games coming up too. 

3 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

But isn't that what we have now, except instead of friendlies the games are competitive?

Pretty much. I don't care tbh. International football is largely a waste of time. Maybe just scrap that completely and have camps, continental championships which also serve as WC qualifiers, then the WC. It would at least give internationals some value for scarcity's sake.