IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

14 hours ago, The Fox said:

It's not just Ronaldo either; Greenwood's pressing is generally poor (which I suspect is partly why Southgate tends to overlook him), and Rashford/Bruno were also guilty of some extremely daft stuff against Liverpool too, just running around aimlessly.

Rashford and Greenwood have proved plenty enough that they are capable of pressing as part of a cohesive unit. Their being caught betwixt and between at the weekend had nothing to do with their ability, and everything to do with the whole idea of pressing being neutered by a static centre-forward, and a centre-half too slow to allow for the whole team to stay compact.

17 hours ago, layten said:

What ever could be the main subject of this weeks Squires?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/oct/26/david-squires-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-manchester-united

Hide contents

image.png.3ae5d5b39ebedf66b411c7b09a30b73f.png

One thing I’ve got from that Squire’s is that I never knew that Beckham has taken £150m worth of blood money to be the face of Qatar 2022. Never rated the man as a player but certainly don’t rate him as a person either now. 

Also didn’t know that Scholes gets very intimate with his daughter’s feet. 😱

I'm was surprised to hear about Beckham the other day, I thought there would've been some comment on here about it. I suppose his PR team has (correctly I reckon, sadly) wagered that any negative press he gets about it is outweighed by how much people generally don't care about the issues.

I saw that Amnesty International wanted him to speak out about it but there was some fluff statement from his PR that tells you how likely that is.

46 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Pretty surprising considering they haven't got a pot to piss in, and haven't finished paying off the previous two managers yet.

Sounds really tough on them.

Should we set up a Go Fund Me page?

43 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Sounds really tough on them.

Should we set up a Go Fund Me page?

Nah. They’ll just try and change the entire structure of European football until they’ve drained that of every penny too.   Still, at least Dembele and Coutinho will be available on free transfers soon. 

On 26/10/2021 at 20:37, Art Vandelay said:

Christ it must be a chore for the England ladies to turn up for qualifying. 10-0, over fifty shots to none, I think thirty goals without reply now. They just said on the radio it’s been nearly 20 years since they lost any qualification match. Looking at some of the goals tonight it’s like Man City playing a village Zumba class.

Yeah there's not huge depth to women's football just yet.  A lot of San Marinos out there.

England's last loss in qualifying was in November 2002, the second leg of the playoff against France for the 2003 tournament. Since then, it's been 36 wins and four draws, conceding only eight goals in the process.

I can see the appeal of UEFA using the same basic format for its men's and women's qualifiers, but it is worth asking if the depth is there to justify it at senior level where most of the nations participating do not have squads of full time players. I wonder if it would benefit them all more if the eleven teams that make the World Cup from Europe were decided in two final groups of eight, with top seeds qualifying automatically for the groups and the rest entering at an earlier stage. While qualification wouldn't be any less likely for the likes of England, their games would be against much better opposition.

The argument against preliminary rounds in Europe in the men's game has often been that each nation should have the right to share the stage with the others, but as Dudley says, there are an awful lot of San Marinos at the moment in women's football.

Went to the King Power yesterday for the first time since COVID began. Was great being back there and was also the third anniversary of Vichai's death at the stadium in the helicopter crash. Minute's silence beforehand was impeccably served by everyone and was as spine-tingling a sporting memory as I can muster. 

Anyway, what it made me realise was how much I'd missed being in a crowd and the ebb and flow of chants. We were giving the Brighton fans grief with our Vichai had a dream' chant (Vichai had a dream, He bought a football team, He came from Thailand and now he’s one of our own, We play from the back and counter attack, Champions of England, You made us sing that ...). Changing the last words to 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that.' Five minutes later, Brighton had bastardised the chant, ending it with 'Champions of Sussex, you'll never sing that'. Leicester fans retorted with 'you're just a shit Crystal Palace.'

Then Bissouma came on. He was booed brutally every time he got on the ball and if the resounding 'paedo' taunts were anything to go by, he's in for a tough time when he goes to away grounds. He's not been charged with anything yet and for all we know, he may well be innocent of the accusations levelled at him. But like with the Newcastle situation, it's pretty clear that opposition fans will remind their opponents of their perceived misdemeanours, at every possible opportunity. Think he's bailed until 3rd November so be interesting to see if he ends up being charged and how Brighton will deal with the situation. They are an excellent community-focused club; however he is probably their most valuable asset. 

4 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Are Cardiff still trying to get out of paying for him? 

4 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

They are.

Does this not also affect the player's cut which likely affects his inheritance and thus family?

Hey everyone, my wife and I are going to be visiting the UK over Christmas and New Year and we’re hoping to get see a Premier League game whilst we’re there.

Initially we’d looked at the Chelsea v Liverpool game but from looking on Reddit, getting tickets is going to be all but impossible. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for getting to see a game? We’re going to be based in East Anglia but also visiting London at some point. Ideally we’d like a game that’s going to have a good atmosphere and that’s between two good teams.  

8 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

Hey everyone, my wife and I are going to be visiting the UK over Christmas and New Year and we’re hoping to get see a Premier League game whilst we’re there.

Initially we’d looked at the Chelsea v Liverpool game but from looking on Reddit, getting tickets is going to be all but impossible. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for getting to see a game? We’re going to be based in East Anglia but also visiting London at some point. Ideally we’d like a game that’s going to have a good atmosphere and that’s between two good teams.  

For Spurs the easiest way is to become a member. Any tickets that become available (season ticket holders who can’t go, for example) are made available a week before the game. Worth trying there just to see the stadium if nothing else.

Have you looked at Norwich, since you’re in East Anglia ?

I realise by mentioning Spurs and Norwich I haven’t fulfilled your ‘good teams’ criteria, but I did hit London and Norfolk :)

10 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

If you’re still here for the 8th January then you might have more luck getting FA Cup 3rd Round tickets. They’re normally a lot easier to come by than Premier League tickets. 

Brighton v Brentford and West Ham v Southampton on Boxing Day will probably have general availability. Norwich have Arsenal on the same day but I’d imagine tickets will be hard to get for that. Chelsea v Liverpool is on the 2nd January, which would be a belter. 

10 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

If that's a chelsea home game then yeah there is literally no chance that is going to general sale, especially on the 2nd.

20 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

No actual idea on getting tickets, would Brentford vs Man City be HARDER than others due to the ground size?

29th December.

Watford Vs Tottenham new year, may he worth a punt.