IGNORED

WarioWare: Get It Together (Switch)

Paulando

I believe the tilt sensor uses a blob of mercury - hence the USA only release...

Hang on!

Just googled it - not true - a cermic gyro. Fell for the myth. The first link makes good reading.

https://fryguy64.proboards.com/thread/4507/myth-mercury-warioware-twisted-cartridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarioWare:_Twisted!#cite_note-2

I picked mine up when I was in the states. Feels super special because of it.

4 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Rumble borked first, then the tilt sensor. The haptics from the cart were so good.

I found that mine was broken when I tried it whilst home last Christmas. This has reminded me and now I'm sad 🥲

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I believe the tilt sensor uses a blob of mercury - hence the USA only release...

Hang on!

Just googled it - not true - a cermic gyro. Fell for the myth. The first link makes good reading.

https://fryguy64.proboards.com/thread/4507/myth-mercury-warioware-twisted-cartridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarioWare:_Twisted!#cite_note-2

I picked mine up when I was in the states. Feels super special because of it.

It was a Japan release too, I had both versions.

Oh man, two-player is an absolute riot! I had my doubts it would work, but they were soon gone after the first two mini, I mean micro-games played in co-op.

This late Summer actually has become an absolute blast for gamze I was a bit skeptical about, but turned out pretty ace nonetheless. Psychonauts 2, NMH III and now this one. Even Metroid Dread is starting to look like a worthy entry into the series.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

First review scores aren't what I was expecting tbh:

GameSpot – 8 / 10
Game Informer – 7.8 / 10

Destructoid - 7.5 / 10

IGN – 7 / 10
GamesRadar+ – 6 / 10

Eurogamer: recommended

Fully expected these scores with the discourse around ‘content’ and what’s worth $50/60 these days.

WarioWare wasn’t made for these times.

51 minutes ago, scottcr said:

That's pish but.  PJ and yer man Chris Scullion are *Very Good* games reviewers

Naw I know, I’m only joshing. I love Nintendolife. They’re as super-passionate about Nintendo stuff as I’m am ❤️

On 09/09/2021 at 10:49, HarMGM said:

Fully expected these scores with the discourse around ‘content’ and what’s worth $50/60 these days.

WarioWare wasn’t made for these times.

Has it ever really been different though? Obviously there's just more noise about literally everything these days but I can remember Rez getting a lot of 'it's pretty good, but' scores 20 years ago because you can technically 'finish' it in 90 minutes. Probably every arcade shmup released on a console at full price over the years too.

My copy arrived this morning, I skipped the demo so looking forward to going in fresh!

PLayed the demo, seemed alright but i think i'm going to sit this one out for a while. Too many other games to get on with and i'm not 100% convinced i like controlling the characters individually. Also no story mode.

Maybe in a few months.

1 hour ago, Rsdio said:

I can remember Rez getting a lot of 'it's pretty good, but' scores 20 years ago because you can technically 'finish' it in 90 minutes.

I can't remember which print magazine the review was in, but I read one that said it only had 4 levels! I get that sometimes there are deadline pressures, but how is it possible to literally miss 20% of the main campaign?

You don't play Wario Ware to complete it. You play to compete. Getting to the last boss could, to some, be "the end", but to me it's not even close. The most joyous part of it is when you're insta-reacting to the 50th random thing in shoved front of you for less than a second. I'll be setting scores on every microgame with every character, as well as whatever marathon modes and actual minigames it gives me. 

Obviously, not all reviewers like the same things. But fans of Wario Ware already know to ignore scores. It shouldn't be rated as a AAA title, but as a Wario Ware title. And it's absolutely what you're hoping it will be, I wish I'd had your restraint!

Honestly, I wasn’t blown away by the demo. The character stuff… I dunno. It’s like a gimmick that WarioWare never felt it needed, and took away the simplicity of it. Tried to play co-op with the wife but she didn’t really understand what was going on. Hmm.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Honestly, I wasn’t blown away by the demo. The character stuff… I dunno. It’s like a gimmick that WarioWare never felt it needed, and took away the simplicity of it. Tried to play co-op with the wife but she didn’t really understand what was going on. Hmm.

Yeah, similar for me. I appreciate the need for a twist, but I don't prefer the direct control. The peak for me is still the GC multiplayer game in space.

5 hours ago, Jolly said:

Aw man, this has made a very good first impression on me. That 9-Volt boss level 😍

Just on the 9-Volt section now and it’s awesome! Spent a while clearing the missions on the first section, so only just making some progress(and failing a lot of the stages first time!). 

I’ve only played a few hours and it’s been a few hours of a constant grin on my face! Batshit mental and I love it :) Can’t wait to play some multiplayer with my lad this weekend, we had lots of lol’s with the demo. 

This will be great in 4 player when you’ve guests round(or you’re at a roof party or basketball court hanging out). It it fails to raise a smile you must be dead inside :lol:

I played through single-player last night, and it kept me awake until I completed it. Long time since a game has grabbed me that way. I did use a couple of continues, but generally chose "Start over" and always went with the auto team. 

Some games are just really tough with some characters, and some characters feel broken, but it's amazing how every game can be done with everyone. And the final character made me grin from ear to ear!

Spoiler

Watch the staff credits, by the way. I was too slow on the uptake, so need to go again. 64/65, because I just know there will be a mission to get 65.

Filled the menu screen, and a little sad that no Paper Plane has appeared. Maybe it's in Variety, or Wario Cup? WARIO CUP! THIS is what I wanted! First go and I scored 3800, mostly because some of the games were brand new to me having blazed through 9-Volt first time. Uploaded that to find that the only other friend who has done this is 4300+, which means I've got some work to do. Tried again, 3200. 

As a solo player whose girlfriend is terrified of controllers, I haven't had the full experience. (I live in the eternal hope that her friend, who is currently obsessed with Zelda, comes to visit and thus we get some multiplayer going on.) Even with this in mind, it's a definite 10 from me.