IGNORED

Partially Great Songs That Are Ruined

Gotters

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

I'm prepared to be hanged for this, but Sound and Vision by Bowie. It's probably my favourite song of his but for the hissing sound throughout, which I think sounds way too prominent.

I only recently noticed that. Is it a backwards snare or cymbal or something? Or a brush on the snare drum or something? Great tune but.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's the snare run through an eventide harmonizer, if I remember rightly. No idea what the settings were, or what sound they were trying to achieve but it's a bit strange.

Just checked on wikipedia and : 'The drums on "Sound and Vision" were treated through the use of Visconti's Eventide H910 Harmonizer.[7] When asked by Bowie about what it did, Visconti replied, "it fucks with the fabric of time.'

The music part of this song is good, heavy as fuck with some nice riffs. A great bit of doom metal The main vocals however are just so weedy they ruin the effect, though. More suited to Blue Oyster Cult or something.

Then Ice T shows up to just... say a bunch of stuff to what seems to be the rhythm of an entirely different song. Horrific.

An instrumental version would have been fine, or just the same song with a better vocal performance.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 02/09/2021 at 17:43, U2031 said:

I think it's the snare run through an eventide harmonizer, if I remember rightly. No idea what the settings were, or what sound they were trying to achieve but it's a bit strange.

Just checked on wikipedia and : 'The drums on "Sound and Vision" were treated through the use of Visconti's Eventide H910 Harmonizer.[7] When asked by Bowie about what it did, Visconti replied, "it fucks with the fabric of time.'

The Harmonizer was used on the snares throughout the album. I don't know if it was also used on the sound you're talking about, but generally, when you read about the Harmonizer on Low, the writer is talking about the snare sound. The story goes that other record producers spent a long time trying to reproduce the snare sound, as it wasn't generally known at the time how it was done on Low. It was a very different type of snare sound at the time, but that (broadly speaking) type of snare sound became ubiquituous in the 80s, although it was not usually achived with the Haromonizer.

Also, I second the disprespect for the DX7 earlier in the thread. That synth can be used to great effect (e.g. Eno is a master of getting good sounds out of it), but overall it was a pox on the 80s. The provider of truly awful canned "real instrument" sounds. It wasn't the only offender though - from the middle of the decade, the 80s were really statying to sound awful. There are plenty of other arrangement/production decisions that are regrettable about that decade.