IGNORED

5 Guys - it makes no sense.

dumpster

I last ate McDonalds approx. 20 or so years ago. I'd rather starve. Even in the States it's swill.

Burger King has the XL bacon thing which was amazing but again it's been a long ass time since I had one. I'd try a mushroom double swiss in an instant. 

McDonalds' breakfasts (specifically the double sausage and egg McMuffin with extra bacon) hit like no other fast food on a hangover though.

The best that you can get from a chain without cooking something yourself.

I think that if the only time a restaurant's offering is palatable is when you're either rather drunk or recovering from being rather drunk - and I'd absolutely agree that McDonalds is in this category - then it's probably not a recommendation.

I quite like five guys. It’s no meat liquor or patty and bun but it’s a damn site better than other fast food places and the burgers are very good and I like how you can get what you want. I’m also a fan of the fries but that’s just me I guess. 

I went to an honest burger the other day and the burger was good but the fries were just far far too salty. I like salty fries but my god these were almost inedible. 

If I’m in London I’ll go to meat liquor or meat market any day of the week but as I don’t live in town and have five guys in both the nearest two towns I am happy slumming it there. 

I do like McDonald's breakfast, but think their main menu is absolute trash. 

I went to Wendy's recently and that was surprisingly okay - better than I remember from the US. Burger King sits better those two and then you have a step up again with the likes of Five Guys and Shake Shack. Not tried Meat Liqour or Honest etc though. 

On 10/08/2021 at 08:30, Isaac said:

McDonalds' breakfasts (specifically the double sausage and egg McMuffin with extra bacon) hit like no other fast food on a hangover though.

The best that you can get from a chain without cooking something yourself.

It’s fucking trash like everything they make.

On 09/08/2021 at 23:08, El Spatula said:

I last ate McDonalds approx. 20 or so years ago. I'd rather starve. Even in the States it's swill.

Burger King has the XL bacon thing which was amazing but again it's been a long ass time since I had one. I'd try a mushroom double swiss in an instant. 

Never trust anyone who doesn’t like McDonalds…..

Poster checks out.

7 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Bit unnecessary no?

Never listen to anyone who likes McDonalds. They're opinions on everything else are as wrong as possible.

Just picking up on your ‘I’d rather starve’ as you clearly wouldn’t… I find it odd how people look down on it as it its rat droppings as that’s pure food snobbery, people can of course not like it much like baked beans are the food if the devil but faced with death id still eat them….

I'm not convinced that "you'd eat it if literally the only alternative was death" is the best metric.

Personally, it's not simply food snobbery, though I wouldn't pretend that's not a factor. I'm certainly not interested in the food, and the identical lab-manufactured aroma that floods out of every branch is revolting, but that's only a fairly small part of my issue with McDonalds et al. They're at the apex of the mass produced, industrially farmed, chemically manipulated, distortedly cheap, obesifying end of the industry and how anyone can read/watch something like Fast Food Nation or various other similar things since and not have issue with it all is beyond me. It's the whole enterprise that's pretty disgusting, not just their products.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried a place called stacks on Uber eats last night. With delivery it was about the same price as a five guys (though it did come with chicken wings) but there was so much other crap on the burger that I had to cut it into sections to eat and it was basically a mess. The actual burger was nice, but the homogeneous blob that it melded into made it a not great experience. I like five guys simplicity. The burgers are decent and the toppings don’t take over from that. Too many burger places ram as much as they can on them and it’s never great. Kind of thing you do for Instagram rather than because it tastes good. 

That said it’s deffo overpriced for what it is, and if your willing to wait a bit longer and sit in, lots of places do just as nice burgers or nicer for the price.

When I go the Trafford centre, I’ll sometimes stay nearby and spend a few days there to meet people. I’ll usually eat there at least once but that’s usually for the hot dogs which are not only much more wallet friendly but actually really nice. Don’t sleep on the hot dogs there people!