IGNORED

League 1, League 2, National League and beyond 2021/22

neoELITE

Where will my team end up  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Does the magazine also show predictions for National League as well? Be interested (or scared) to see how long my club Southend United are predicted

after being relegated to this league.

Don't have a good feeling for this upcoming season.

No, they don't.  Expect a viscous struggle in which the matches come too fast in the early autumn to adjust much (hence very streaky).Not sure any team has bounced straight back (or even via the playoffs) first season - Leyton took two.

I think we'll do better than the minimum for safety if we can avoid injury to the core group and bed in the new attacking players.  Obviously no league is a level playing field off the pitch and if we can keep a tight ship there we will be fine (and I've learnt that the interested parties are now buying in). Cardiff is a day out for fans, the Papa John's has thrown up tasty derbies the London lads should be well up for, and if the level isnt that much better our core group from last year should see us through.

9 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

No, they don't.  Expect a viscous struggle in which the matches come too fast in the early autumn to adjust much (hence very streaky).Not sure any team has bounced straight back (or even via the playoffs) first season - Leyton took two.

I think we'll do better than the minimum for safety if we can avoid injury to the core group and bed in the new attacking players.  Obviously no league is a level playing field off the pitch and if we can keep a tight ship there we will be fine (and I've learnt that the interested parties are now buying in). Cardiff is a day out for fans, the Papa John's has thrown up tasty derbies the London lads should be well up for, and if the level isnt that much better our core group from last year should see us through.

OK thanks :)

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

the Papa John's has thrown up tasty derbies the London lads should be well up for, and if the level isnt that much better our core group from last year should see us through.

I utterly hate this competition, it's just so pointless.  Nobody really wants to win it, you've got top flight youth teams in it who aren't allowed in the final and attendances for the games are often in the hundreds.

The League Cup is slightly more valuable but I'd like to see that disappear too.

The aim for League 1 and 2 is to get to the 3rd round and get a big team in the 3rd round.  We drew Liverpool a few seasons ago at Anfield when we were in League 2 and got a 0-0 up there - that was brilliant.  

Oh yes, 3rd round is the dream each year, but we've already had our cup run of the Century (which brought in the new investors), so I expect nothing in the main 2 cups.  However, playing Crystal Palace youth, Pompey and AFC Wimbledon is attractive and maybe that is a competition we could progress further in because the priorities of others will differ. Possibly also the first competitive fixtures for Sutton v Palace and Pompey, but there is much history with Wimbledon. 

13 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Nah, Chequebook FC are going up to the Championship 😛

Wish I shared your optimism, seems like there’s some decent players arriving but can they be a squad that gets consistent results?

(Lincoln) I’d be happy with top half.

Away at Gillingham on Saturday. Ticket arrived today. Had to look back and check. My previous away match (non Wembley) was 1st Feb 2020 at Southend where we were woeful and deservedly lost 2-1.

Weather forecast looks awful for Saturday. No cover, ‘temporary’ stand. Bring it on! 

Wrexham have had to stop season ticket sales because we were selling too many.

Previous season ticket renewals took it over 2000, but then we topped a ridiculous 5000 after just a day and a bit when they went on general sale this week.

The stand behind the goal is unavailable for the first two matches because renovations have been delayed which is obviously a massive shame starting the season with a two sided ground. The other end is long closed. That reduced the capacity by a fair chunk so they've temporarily capped it at 5,200 with the remaining couple of hundred tickets being sold on Saturday. 

Other clubs have seen strong sales so I expected us to shift quite a few, but not this many. We're definitely setting ourselves up for a poor start to the season with this level of excitement. Parkinson won't stand a chance. Out by October. 

10 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Wrexham have had to stop season ticket sales because we were selling too many.

Previous season ticket renewals took it over 2000, but then we topped a ridiculous 5000 after just a day and a bit when they went on general sale this week.

The stand behind the goal is unavailable for the first two matches because renovations have been delayed which is obviously a massive shame starting the season with a two sided ground. The other end is long closed. That reduced the capacity by a fair chunk so they've temporarily capped it at 5,200 with the remaining couple of hundred tickets being sold on Saturday. 

Other clubs have seen strong sales so I expected us to shift quite a few, but not this many. We're definitely setting ourselves up for a poor start to the season with this level of excitement. Parkinson won't stand a chance. Out by October. 

5200 is ridiculously good!  There's teams in league one that have no where near that.  My parents live about 5miles from the Racecourse so have been to quite a few games there. The club and the fans are due some fortune and a return to the league. Best wishes.

42 minutes ago, filecore said:

5200 is ridiculously good!  There's team in league one that have no where near that.  My parents live about 5miles from the Racecourse so have been to quite a few games there. The club and the fans are due some fortune an a return to the league. Best wishes.

Cheers man.  Always liked Lincoln, but I'm not going to pretend I'm not insanely jealous of how well you've done over the last few years. Emulating that is the dream. Although just being back at the football is way bigger than how the team actually do. 

Another couple of weeks away until our opener against Yeovil, but I can't wait. Last night I committed myself to arriving at 11.50 at Wrexham General to commence drinking a moderate amount of pre match lager :)

On 05/08/2021 at 23:13, filecore said:

(Lincoln) I’d be happy with top half.

Having moved back last year the boy and I have got Season tickets for the first time. He’s Lincoln born and bred but I’m not, so I’ll be playing catch-up but really looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, El Pibe said:

😆 I hope you'll be back in League 2 soon!

Given how difficult League 1 is going to be this season, you might get that hope fulfilled.

League 1 is probably the hardest league out of all of them to stay in this season. Other than Morecambe, Cambridge and Cheltenham, there's no easy game. One of those three are likely to do OK too. I'll be more than happy with mid table. 

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

Given how difficult League 1 is going to be this season, you might get that hope fulfilled.

League 1 is probably the hardest league out of all of them to stay in this season. Other than Morecambe, Cambridge and Cheltenham, there's no easy game. One of those three are likely to do OK too. I'll be more than happy with mid table. 

You HAD to bloody say Morecambe were one of the easy teams... Ipswich currently giving them a kicking but losing!

1-1 

Oh my word, I hadn't realised how much I'd missed that.

Catch up with old mates on the train with a few tins.

Walk down to the ground (Gillingham) down terraced streets. The anticipation....

The waft of cigarette smoke and cheap burgers.

The banter.

The old fellas shouting total bollocks..

We did enough to win today but will take a point. Saw enough to give me good hope for the season.

Loved it! 

IMG_0767.jpg

14 hours ago, Herbalizer said:

Is Downes any good? Apparrently we (Swansea) have had a bid accepted.

There's a lot of potential there. He was very highly thought of, then Crystal Palace made an offer last close season and I think his head went a bit - he clearly wanted the move (which is fair enough), we wanted more money (which is fair enough) and I think he sulked, for want of a better word, when the move didn't go through. He went from maybe being the first name on the team sheet to being on the bench, which I think further affected him, then when he came on he clearly felt he had something to prove and had a ten minute spell of making stupid challenges and injured himself. The rest of last season he was either injured or was so / so in a mediocre League One team. 

Which all sounds very negative but I do think he's a really good player and, like a few of the players that have came through our academy, basically needs to get away from Ipswich to see if they're any good. I thought a Premier League Team might take a chance on him and then loan him out - I think he's at least Championship quality and he clearly thinks he should be playing in the Premier League. 

23 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

He's from Chantry, he was ALWAYS going to steal a point at the end 😛

It was a really good finish. 

I very much enjoyed the game on Saturday - just being back watching football felt like a novelty in itself. 

The good 

21k at Portman Road. 

Harper looked really bloody good. 

Evans looked good. 

We were actually enjoyable to watch. 

Bonne's goal showed that we had a plan B (long ball down the middle, flick on and goal).

The bad 

Our defence. 

The lack of depth that we have in the centre of defence.

Did I mention our defence?  

Overall, showed a lot of promise and I still remain wildly over optimistic in our chances of winning the league. Morecambe were well organised, pressed hard and had a good game plan. And we were absolutely bloody awful at times in defence and pretty much gave them two goals (Stockton took both of them very well). I think it's the sort of game we will have to expect at Portman Road where teams come with a defensive game plan and we just can't give goals away like that and expect to win. After we equalised to take it to one all, I thought there was only going to be one winner and then we piss around at the back, Woolfenden gets caught and we're chasing the game again. 

The system doesn't fully work yet - Chaplin didn't have a good game and we're not making the best use of Pigott. I'm hoping that Edmundsen is fit soon and also that we've got another central defender lined up as otherwise we're looking very thin at the back. 

League Cup. I just think of these games as extended friendlies. Salford are 2-0 up away at Derby already. Our manager has picked a full strength 11 away at Peterborough for reasons only he will know :facepalm:

We've already had an injury to our best centre forward Niall Ennis. We've got two 'senior' forwards fit and he's started both of them.

EDIT we've gone one up :hmm:

After the horrific shit that happened on Thursday in my city. After 18 months without fans. After everything, we won. 88th minute winner. There were tears (including mine) but there was triumph. 

10,000 people roared in unison. 

What a fantastic day.

E8xEonSX0AMA6Pl.thumb.jpeg.3d88a325d08ccbc5cbdad646848bc78f.jpeg

I went to our first proper home game (i.e. actually in Wimbledon) for 30 years yesterday and it was amazing.

Old Plough Lane, had atmosphere but was ridiculously 'old school'. I remember standing in those cages you used to get at football grounds not being able to see a thing.
Selhurst Park was a really horrible experience all round, Kingsmeadow was better but small and cramped and quite a trek from central London, and not much to do when you're in the area.

Location wise Wimbledon is a great place to visit, a choice of stations and a full range of pubs from ropey as arseholes to swanky.

Seeing a small gang of Bolton lads chanting 'you can stick you tennis up your arse' looking around Earlsfield made me realise how much new business the nearby places are going to get. I was chatting to a young guy who lives in the stadium ground flats and he said it's the first time he's seen Northeners for years. :lol:

The actual stadium is nice, it feels small but compact with great views. The TV cameras don't really do it justice because they're in the main stand which is by far the most impressive, the other 3 are 'semi permanent' and will hopefully get upgraded in time. There are bars all over the stadium concourse in the mains stand and loads of street-food and beer trucks parked behind the others. The safe standing section in the South Stand really helps to atmosphere.

The match was great, a real rollercoaster. Great to see Nightingale, who has been with he club since he was 8 years old get the first stadium goal. Bolton's penalty was handled ok but the crowd started getting a bit nervous when they took the lead.
Their third just after half time seemed to spur The Dons on however. The crowd got behind the attacking and sustained pressure made the penalty seemed inevitable. Then the equaliser sent the crowd through the roof. Walking out I had ringing in my ears which won't help my tinnitus one bit.

I'm feeling pretty good about the club now despite the shoestring budget. The team are young but have shown character and we've got a lot of good attacking options off the bench. The academy teams were handing out thank you letters to the fans. Doubling the capacity of our home matches will help balance the books, the matchday experience should lead to some new fans, and will hopefully spur on the team.