IGNORED

League 1, League 2, National League and beyond 2021/22

neoELITE

Where will my team end up  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A last minute friendly against Curzon Ashton meant I got my first Wrexham game back at the Racecourse yesterday. We were decent in attack and Mullin scored a great goal. Felt good to be back there among familiar voices. Comforting and reassuring. 18 months and nothings changed.  And it was nice to give last seasons squad a clap for their efforts. I'd only seen three of our players in the flesh before, which illustrates how much change there has been since we almost got relegated season before last.

We've brought forward our Good Friday Solihull away game to next weekend now after both of our scheduled opponents went down with covid. Good that we could do that, but it's a much harder one than Yeovil at home would have been. Yesterday illustrated that we're still desperate for a defensive midfielder or two and could do with another center back. Hopefully that will happen this week.

Really wish I could go back tomorrow night for Gillingham, only the 5 hour travelling time putting me off (that and it's sold out again).

I keep remembering new things about Saturday like the most of the hardcore all being together in the standing terrace behind the goal apart from a small section who were right next to the away stand. I wonder if they bought season tickets there?

Best match I've been to apart from playoffs.

Gillingham are essentially a slightly worse Wycombe. The time wasting on Saturday was next level and they did the old "I HAVE a sore head ref!" routine as soon as they could see the final whistle approaching. 20 seconds to take a throw in. Their Keeper caught the ball and fell to the ground every time as if it was the heaviest thing in the known universe. Steve Evans was his usual toxic self too - he seems to be on a timer - every five minutes, he waddled towards the touchline to gesticulate at the ref for no reason at all. They're long ball merchants too.

I'm not a Gillingham fan.

Our 88 th minute winner was just desserts.

You might be grateful to miss this one @artz

A 1-1 at home to Cambridge who were there for a point. I think every one of their players went down 'injured' at some point. 12 minutes added on in the 90. It was frustrating but a point is a point. Two home games in a row where the dark arts were part of the opposition game plan. It's frustrating to watch. The referee was completely inept too. Chris Sarginson is terrible. Start booking players for time wasting and it will stop. 

Our goal was superb and we gave away a needless penalty. If a guy runs into your box from 45-50 yards out with 15 minutes to go and you're 1-0 up, bring him down outside the box and take a yellow :facepalm:

We had a goal disallowed for offside. It probably was but the ref gave it at first and the assistant started walking back to the half way line. Cambridge players confronted the assistant and the officials changed their minds. From the goal going in to the free kick being awarded, it was at least 3 minutes. We obviously have no VAR. I've attended games regularly since 1986. I've never seen that happen. If it was offside or the assistant needed to talk to the ref, you don't trundle back towards the half way line with flag in hand. You alert the ref. It was probably offside and it looked it but the officials lost control of the situation. 

It was probably the right call but they went about it the wrong way. It naturally infuriated the crowd. 

Our defender Wilson apparently slapped one of their players off the ball and the ref, after consulting with the assistant (the same one) gave him a yellow. It has to be red. 

The ref was just inconsistent all evening. 

We have a new massive flag though.

IMG_20210817_193442.thumb.jpg.12272c6e344a95b048b7ad038b4aa85d.jpg

As @neoELITE predicted, niggly Gillingham played up to their strengths. I actually wailed when they got a scrappy deflected 97th minute equaliser.

Apparently we played a nice musical selection including Fatty Bum Bum and Fatman Scoop for Evans at half time.

I'm feeling pretty confident for the season though, we've play a different lineup each game and they've all looked good.

Shit, I've always hated the idea of being trapped under one of those flags and that picture is not making my feel any better. Sure it looked ace from the outside though!

9 hours ago, neoELITE said:

A 1-1 at home to Cambridge who were there for a point. I think every one of their players went down 'injured' at some point. 12 minutes added on in the 90. It was frustrating but a point is a point. Two home games in a row where the dark arts were part of the opposition game plan. It's frustrating to watch. The referee was completely inept too. Chris Sarginson is terrible. Start booking players for time wasting and it will stop. 

Our goal was superb and we gave away a needless penalty. If a guy runs into your box from 45-50 yards out with 15 minutes to go and you're 1-0 up, bring him down outside the box and take a yellow :facepalm:

We had a goal disallowed for offside. It probably was but the ref gave it at first and the assistant started walking back to the half way line. Cambridge players confronted the assistant and the officials changed their minds. From the goal going in to the free kick being awarded, it was at least 3 minutes. We obviously have no VAR. I've attended games regularly since 1986. I've never seen that happen. If it was offside or the assistant needed to talk to the ref, you don't trundle back towards the half way line with flag in hand. You alert the ref. It was probably offside and it looked it but the officials lost control of the situation. 

It was probably the right call but they went about it the wrong way. It naturally infuriated the crowd. 

Our defender Wilson apparently slapped one of their players off the ball and the ref, after consulting with the assistant (the same one) gave him a yellow. It has to be red. 

The ref was just inconsistent all evening. 

We have a new massive flag though.

IMG_20210817_193442.thumb.jpg.12272c6e344a95b048b7ad038b4aa85d.jpg

We had three goals like that ruled out at Bolton a couple of years back. On one of them the Bolton players were back in the centre circle just about to kick off when the linesman decided to give offside. 

6 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Shit, I've always hated the idea of being trapped under one of those flags and that picture is not making my feel any better. Sure it looked ace from the outside though!

Our seat rows go from A to Y (I think we don't have a row Z). I'm in row U. The flag goes from A to Y.

It's got names in the design. My mate Nick organised it. My Dad hates these flags so I put in £15 to have his name on it :lol:

Fozy1qW.thumb.jpg.45c07da4919cbb758bb8dc1364c7e0a7.jpg

IMG_20210817_193541.thumb.jpg.045dc74029d9666065572f4e7e206b3f.jpg

It was weird as 10-15 minutes after this went over, the teams came out and our end was pretty much full. 

Looks good, and a great idea with the names on there. The unveiling sounds a bit premature, but I suppose that meant fewer people were trapped underneath.

On the subject of big pieces of cloth, we body bagged our Kop yesterday following the removal of all the barriers. It was looking particularly barren and sad.

image.png.ca16419e8727438798676e1dcfe58930.png

RIP :(

image.png.2ec028386f9f9d27551ae295dc0393bd.png

Away at Shrewsbury today. They've not won or scored a goal yet in the league. We have a habit of kick starting other teams seasons. 

We're really poor away so Shrewsbury are in my accumulator this afternoon.

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Away at Shrewsbury today. They've not won or scored a goal yet in the league. We have a habit of kick starting other teams seasons. 

We're really poor away so Shrewsbury are in my accumulator this afternoon.

:hmm:

Winning 0-3. 

12 minutes ago, wev said:

Top of the league! Not a bad start for the Magpies

And it finishes 5-0 to Notts County, it was 4-0 on 94 minutes

Yeah, perhaps could have done with both postponed, although 2-2 at Solihull is a decent enough result.

We had a bit of a makeshift defence today with ex Burnley, Wolves etc midfielder David Jones in front of them who has come in as player coach and  hadn't played a competitive game since January 2020. Jones scored an apparently  amazing goal from distance to add to the predictable Mullin one and we almost  got away with it, but that injury time Solihull goal from a corner cost us 3 points. Signings to come so we know the squad will be  bolstered, just a shame it didn't happen before the start of the season.

Another hard game against Eastleigh away next Saturday before the big BT game vs Notts County on bank holiday Monday. Could be a few goals in that one I reckon wev.

I'm gonna have to try and get a day pass for bt sport!

I have an EE mobile and the option for a swappable benefit through them but I use Prime Video alot through that and could never figure out how to login to BT Sport using my EE account.

I was expecting a cagey first game to be honest, Notts County have brought in something like 7 or 8 players I think and, importantly, kept hold of Rodrigues.

(Lincoln, league 1)

Away at Wycombe - they scored from an unmarked header. 🤦‍♂️We had some chances but a fair enough result. Four league games in . Season end I'd be happy with top half, and we are definitely good enough for that.

5 hours ago, El Pibe said:

Was due to watch us against Bristol Rovers yesterday but had to change plans at last minute.

Missed us thrashing them 4-0!

You were 4 up in 24 minutes. We won 0-3 so obviously, Torquay were in for disappointment. The three Devon clubs never seem to win on the same day. 

Always good to see Joey Barton on the end of a shoeing. 

Who's the favourite for League 2? I'd have thought Derek Adams at Bradford given his ability to get teams promoted.

Urgh, Ipswich then. So incredibly frustrating so far this season. Some of the best football we've played in years (I was going to write something like "... since Magilton was in charge" but then I was thinking "Or should is it the most entertaining since Joe Royle" and then I started thinking about how long ago that was and it was just all too upsetting). But WE KEEP ON GIVING STUPID GOALS AWAY! 

MK Dons are a good, well-drilled side. Will expect them to be in the running for automatic promotion but we had them sussed - they had loads of possession but it was all in front of us, controlled, no real threat. EXCEPT FOR WHEN WE JUST GAVE THEM THE SODDING BALL WHEN WE WERE TRYING TO PLAY IT OUT FROM THE BACK! We're currently in the worst of both worlds - creating chances but not putting them away (Bonne missing the open goal against Cheltenham which would have put us two up, missing a penalty against Burton, missing a one on one on Saturday plus multiple crosses from Edwards which had an open net and just needed someone on the end of them etc.) plus just giving away one or two goals a game. Literally giving them away. If you saw the goal Morecombe got where Wolfenden dithered whilst playing it around at the back and their guy could run in and score then you've seen the goal MK Dons got where Evans dithered whilst playing it around at the back and their guy could run in and score. It wasn't even the only time we did that - twice in succession in the first half we had dithered on the ball whilst playing it around at the back and one went out for a corner, the other they hit the bar.

There is the core of a good side there. Our two goals were great (Bonne's first goal is an absolute cracker) and in general I thought the gameplay was really good - MK Dons played really nice passing to one another in the middle of the pitch but ultimately didn't do a lot with it whereas we were breaking really well, Edwards is far too good for League One and was running through at will etc. But there were already some boos in the crowd at full time which is so shitty but even though this is pretty much a new team, people are judging them on the continued run of disappointment that is Cook's last 16 games last season (which were just as crap as what came before), Lambert taking us down without a whimper and then not even getting us in the running to get out of the league, Paul Hurst, McCarthy's last seasons etc. 

Still, gets me out of the house on a Saturday. 

So what's James Jones like @filecore?

Appeared to have moved down the midfield pecking order for Lincoln, but played loads of games for you last season. Loads of games for Crewe before that. Am I correct in assuming he'll be good for us in the conference?

1 hour ago, Fatsam said:

So what's James Jones like @filecore?

Appeared to have moved down the midfield pecking order for Lincoln, but played loads of games for you last season. Loads of games for Crewe before that. Am I correct in assuming he'll be good for us in the conference?

I’m disappointed he’s left. He was Crewe’s player of the season, got them promoted and left them to come to us. Will be great in the NL. Splashing the Hollywood cash! 

That'll more than do! 

Looks like he was injured a fair bit at Crewe so maybe a slight gamble, but it's one you were also clearly prepared to take. 

Cheltenham have so far refused two offers from us for their centre back Ben Tozer who captained them to the title last season. Not sure whether that will happen or not. He's also reportedly not sure about dropping two divisions, which is fair enough.

It does appear that we are trying to build a side capable of promotion from League 2. Just a shame that the National League is at least 4 times as hard as League 2.

@Fatsam that's the second time we've lost a potential signing to Wrexham. That cash is being splashed. Jones is a very capable lower league player.

Ben Tozer is a decent player too and has a very dangerous long throw. We had him as a youth player and he ended up at Newcastle. 

Well I did joke about us nabbing another one of your transfer targets!

Yep, we've heard about Tozer's long throw. Can he run and get on the end of them? Presumably he will also know Luke Young, although a couple of years older. Hope he ends up coming to us, sounds like a great version of exactly the kind of player we need. 

Roy Keane saying he “got the recruitment wrong” while at Ipswich, trying to pick good players instead of good characters.

Nope. Terrible man management and rubbish tactics.