IGNORED

League 1, League 2, National League and beyond 2021/22

neoELITE

Where will my team end up  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 28/10/2021 at 06:04, neoELITE said:

Hopefully, he'll be OK.

We're at home to Ipswich on Saturday. We're unbeaten at home, unbeaten in 14 games. Our only defeat was the first game of the season. 

I have a feeling Saturday is the end of that run. It can't go on forever. 

Wigan losing on Tuesday kept us top - nice one @filecore

Top of the league after beating Ipswich at home in front of.... just mentioning @Fatsam 16,000.

Ipswich fans moaning about the ref should have a word with their midfield who spent the entire first half kicking Panuche Camara. 

It was a really good game. Ipswich were so wasteful. We're 15 unbeaten. That's 1/3rd of a whole season. :omg:

Over 9,800 today for Wrexham vs Torquay which is basically almost 16,000. A fantastic atmosphere for much of what ultimately ended up being a disappointing 1-1. We had a bit more of it, but as expected missed our main strikers up front.

It was inevitably not just about the football with Reynolds and McElhenney there for the first time, possibly being a bit of a distraction and piling on a bit of extra pressure, although there was a positive vibe around the ground. Every time I glanced behind me where they were sitting Reynolds seemed quite excited to be there and was up interacting with the crowd and filming us on his phone a bit. Paul Mullin was serving his suspension sat next to McElhenney and was the one in the plush seats getting the bulk of the adulation. We got a smile and a wave. The particularly miserable father and son by me didn't let us down, shouting up to Detective Pikachu to sack Parkinson in the morning before storming out early. 

32 minutes ago, artz said:

A narrow defeat against Cambridge. Pretty depressing though as it was one we were expecting to do better in,  and now we're only 2 point above the drop zone :unsure:

FA Cup at home next week against non-league opposition, hopefully will help reset the mood a bit.

I think Morecambe and Cheltenham are going to find it tough going now their momentum seems to be waning and they'll start seeing injuries and suspensions mount up. Crewe look doomed already, only winning one game in 15. Bolton have lost four on the bounce and Shrewsbury are struggling again. 

I still can't believe we're top. League 1 is full of sides with big resources. 

Ipswich were a really good side yesterday and missed three chances that were easier to score. To be fair, so did we. They'll challenge this season. I think they're the strongest side I've seen so far. They should be considering what they're spending. 

10 hours ago, neoELITE said:

To be fair @Fatsam we have a population of about 280,000. Wrexham is quite a small place in comparison. Almost 10,000 is incredible support.

:hat:

In recent years we've had more core home fans than we were getting  in the 90s in League One when we were amazing which always seems bizarre to me. We'd struggle to get over 3000 at the lesser league games then and average attendances were boosted by games against teams local to us and big away followings from the huge clubs. I'm sure that's mostly reflecting an overall greater level of interest in football although our fan takeover and Wembley trips shortly after seemed to encourage a few more along. Attendances are generally up this season with people desperate to get to games, but I'm still a bit surprised at the level of support we are getting at the moment, particularly as the football has barely improved much yet.

I think attendances are up everywhere in modern times. We had about 4000 season ticket holders in the 2000s in The Championship. We have 7000 now. 

All seater stadiums attract families and our club (like others) have focused on that. It's no longer an afternoon out for pissed up lads. Long may it continue.

8 hours ago, Butters said:

What's the verdict on Parkinson @Fatsam? Has he got enough to turn it around?

Obviously someone has gone and made a sack Parkinson thread on our forum, but I think it's hard to make any concrete judgement on him yet to be honest. I'd expected us to be one or two points better off at this point in the season, but things were always likely to take time, and we've not had the easiest of starts.  I think he's generally made sensible decisions to try and get the best out of the team, shifting things around, changing the formation when required, coping with injuries and suspensions, so I don't see any fundamental issue with the way he is managing us as long as you're content with his pretty direct style of football. You're never going to sign loads of new players and all of them hit the ground running and gel together instantly, and I think there have been signs that we could be really good with time and further additions. 

Stockport have taken manager Dave Challinor from Hartlepool. A brilliant appointment for them. They should get stronger now and probably the opposite for Hartlepool.

On 31/10/2021 at 08:30, neoELITE said:

You are there on merit! Fair play. Playing quality footy. My favourite podcast is 'The Price of Football' and there is a long running joke not to call Plymouth "the argyle" a sleeping giant. You can sustain championship footy easy with your setup. There's a looooong way to go though. Enjoying the ride is all part of it. 😎

On 02/11/2021 at 19:19, Fatsam said:

Obviously someone has gone and made a sack Parkinson thread on our forum, but I think it's hard to make any concrete judgement on him yet to be honest. I'd expected us to be one or two points better off at this point in the season, but things were always likely to take time, and we've not had the easiest of starts.  I think he's generally made sensible decisions to try and get the best out of the team, shifting things around, changing the formation when required, coping with injuries and suspensions, so I don't see any fundamental issue with the way he is managing us as long as you're content with his pretty direct style of football. You're never going to sign loads of new players and all of them hit the ground running and gel together instantly, and I think there have been signs that we could be really good with time and further additions. 

Stockport have taken manager Dave Challinor from Hartlepool. A brilliant appointment for them. They should get stronger now and probably the opposite for Hartlepool.

Its difficult. You need to play a certain type of footy as you say to get out the national league. The games come thick and fast, and you'll be playing on some dubious surfaces in spring week in week out where it's easy to get unstuck. You have to be able to grind out those results. It's a folly to think if you sign footballers who can knock it about that you'll triumph, because they won't be able to do it on a Tuesday night when it's lashing it down away at Solihull Moors.  They'll be thinking, what the hell am I doing here?   

All of a sudden there's this pressure on Parkinson to think he'll automatically be able to do well coz he's got a bit of cash. Obviously a quality player here and there helps but he can't just start playing total football. Most fans know this of course, but some of the loud mouths don't? 

Parkinson joined after our retained list was done and had half a transfer window to revamp a team that wasn't good enough. We've been wanting promotion for 12 years and some people have decided he has had enough of a chance after 12 games. It's so clearly laughable, but all clubs have fans that react in the same way. On the style of football, yeah you need to be pragmatic about the way you try and win the league, and I can't remember a conference title winning side that simply tried to play free flowing football. Promotion through the playoffs can happen yes, I think York did for example, but not the very best sides. 

Harrogate away on Saturday. We're not exactly favourites to win, but hopefully can pull something out of the bag. Love the FA Cup. 1st and 2nd rounds are the best rounds these days before it becomes muddied by top flight sides playing their reserves. Watch Harrogate now play their reserves and beat us.

On 31/10/2021 at 08:30, neoELITE said:

I think Morecambe and Cheltenham are going to find it tough going now their momentum seems to be waning and they'll start seeing injuries and suspensions mount up. Crewe look doomed already, only winning one game in 15. Bolton have lost four on the bounce and Shrewsbury are struggling again. 

Ipswich were a really good side yesterday and missed three chances that were easier to score. To be fair, so did we. They'll challenge this season. I think they're the strongest side I've seen so far. They should be considering what they're spending. 

Post when we're winning, post when we're winnnnnning, I only post when we're winning. 

I was pretty underwhelmed with Ipswich's performance against Plymouth - obviously can't plan around illness on the day but playing a not fit left back at right midfield instead of a not fully fit Celina made no sense to me and we just had no width until late on after we brought on Celina, where upon we spurned multiple good chances and should really have got a point we didn't deserve. 

And then Wycombe mid-week! For about 21 minutes they absolutely ran riot - we couldn't lay a glove on them. It's hard to tell on iFollow so I still don't know if we changed something or they got complacent but the game changed completely and all of a sudden we looked very, very good. We equalised and then they barely touched the ball for the rest of the half. Second half - more of the same although they got a second wind and our defence was very solid. 

24 minutes ago, RareBirds said:

Post when we're winning, post when we're winnnnnning, I only post when we're winning. 

I was pretty underwhelmed with Ipswich's performance against Plymouth.

I post when we lose. Check last season's thread ;)

Ipswich have probably done what other 'big' teams try in League 1. Buy and loan in forward players and neglect the defensive positions. You let Wilson go to us for nothing which is quite frankly madness. 

We've done the opposite and so far, it's paying off. We changed our entire back three and holding midfielder with players with proven experience and ability. Celina looked like the best player on the pitch when he came on but your defence is slow, poor on the ball when pressed and your keeper wasn't very good either. 

The Ipswich midfield and forward players looked good and you'll steam roller a lot of teams this season.

Our FA Cup game away at Wednesday is on ITV on Sunday.

FA Cup. Sunderland 0-1 down against Mansfield :lol:

That's three League defeats in a row and the tenth goal conceded in 4 games. Ouch. 

A lot of our fans want us to focus on the league. I want us to get to the third round and get a massive club at home (or Man United away).

It was a pretty dire first half and B&P could have gone in 2-up but for hitting the cross bar and a fingertip save from Long. 

Michael Appleton must have given them a right rocket at half time as the second half was completely one-sided, or maybe they just got tired, but it should have been made more comfortable than 1-0. 

The 8-year old enjoyed herself and was asking questions all the way through so at least she was engaged. Won’t be getting her a season ticket just yet though. 

Oldham at home - game felt like a practice match. If we'd actually put away more than one of the myriad chances we had then we'd have earned the right to do all the little flicks and step overs etc but instead we let in a soft goal following a long ball and now have a replay that we probably don't want. 

Fair play to Oldham, their fans were great - brought just under 500, had banners against the owners and so on, outstanding stuff for an otherwise fairly meaningless cup outing. 

0-0 away at Wednesday. 7,261 in attendance including 500 lunatics from Plymouth who left at 3.45am this morning. Not a terrible 0-0 but it had 0-0 written all over it. Both defences were better than the attackers. I'd take a point in the league so I'm not overly disappointed. 

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

0-0 away at Wednesday. 7,261 in attendance including 500 lunatics from Plymouth who left at 3.45am this morning. Not a terrible 0-0 but it had 0-0 written all over it. Both defences were better than the attackers. I'd take a point in the league so I'm not overly disappointed. 

Yes, fair play to those fans!

You don't really need the replay, (leagues the focus eh), but at least you are at home for the return.

Went to watch Exeter for the 1st time this season versus Oldham. We looked decent, were 2 up in the second half, and could easily have been 4-0 up but for some wasteful finishing.

Then Oldham scored their inevitable goal and Exeter from previous seasons would have folded but this team dug in and pushed back to hold the win.

Despite the difficulties of Covid and letting players go because of worries around the impact on the finances, Matt Taylor has built a very good team. Exciting!

3rd in the league and just 2 points off the top.

Wrexham dumped out of the cup last weekend, but I've never liked the FA Cup. We've since gone a bit goal crazy against a couple of strugglers with a 5-0 away at Aldershot followed up with yesterdays 6-2 at King's Lynn. Different goal scorers in each game too. We're suddenly the third highest scorers in the league! I do miss those away streams from last season.

Notts County broke the conference attendance record previously held by Bristol Rovers with 12843 against Solihull Moors. Aided by cheapo tickets, but hugely impressive. Rewarded with a win too.

Good to see "Gooner" Eastmond back in the side Saturday with Harry Beautyman still laid out with a dislocated shoulder.  A win at Tranmere keeps us in the play-off place hunt (amazingly), probably because we don't do draws.  Also, we are taking the Pizza trophy seriously so we'll see how we go with that.

Some 'Muk interest in FA cup replays this week since some potential 'Muk derbies in the next round.  Oxford away looks a bit daunting (it was weird going into the Hayes & Yeading match as the potential victims of a giant killing, them being 3 leagues below but having an excellent season).

In other news, Bury, Notts County and Southend are all featured in this month's When Saturday Comes.  I know paper magazines are deeply unfashionable but I always find it a good read.

Exeter having to replay the replay after fielding 6 subs against Bradford in the FA Cup. :facepalm:

It was the officials' error but it seems a bit strange this one and Bradford had a red card that won't be rescinded.

Also, the Prem are handing out £20m to League 1 and 2. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59335899

I'm assuming an equal split of around £400k each. 

It's probably not ever likely but it would be good if the next TV Bid included this type of trickle down - with more for the National Leagues.