IGNORED

League 1, League 2, National League and beyond 2021/22

neoELITE

Where will my team end up  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m not expecting anything from our trip to Pompey today.

The mood at the club is on a bit of a downer at the moment after our loses to Cambridge, Sutton and narrow victory over Guiseley. It seems like a long time since the delirium of a new stadium and exciting attacking play at the start of the season.

Its got so bad that  the manager and CEO have had to put out a statement pointing out how young the squad are and how negative comments can affect them https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2021/november/a-heartfelt-message-to-every-wimbledon-supporter/

Its a shame because we generally had quite an understanding fan base but maybe expectations were raised too high earlier this year.

Of course the dickheads that it’s aimed at defend their right to criticism even if it means worse performances.

Wigan Vs Oxford is off due to Covid in the Oxford squad. 

Charlton Vs Argyle today is going to be a huge attendance. We've sold 3000 away tickets and Charlton allowed season ticket holders 3 free tickets. I'm not that confident we'll continue that unbeaten run but we're playing so well right now, the entire squad is confident. I can't see a weak link anywhere. We got 102 points one season and this squad reminds me of that team. 

That's a great article @artz - given your history, I'd be really annoyed if I sat next to someone booing. 

Seconded, fascinating background feature @artz.  I wasn't at the Pizza Trophy game but I know the competition has been taken very seriously by us, so no shame in a narrow defeat.  I think the approach taken by AFC Wimbledon makes perfect sense (and realistically the only one given wage structures and London cost of living) but it obviously demands patience and understanding from fans.  Metrics like the performance of your on-loan players and the number of internationals at the club are really encouraging.  

At this rate we're going to need a new curator of this thread new season as @neoELITE disappears into the Championship mists.  Seriously, a brilliant season (so far) and the club seems well equipped to compete at a higher level.

Wow, that was tense. Started well but conceded a weird unlucky first goal teed up by a deflection. Then controlled the majority of the match, scored three but should have been more, then another Crewe goal ensured a very nervy few minutes, not helped by getting a red card and 8 minutes of stoppage time.

Can't argue with 28 shots, 3 points and moving another place up in the table.

Oh ye of little faith!

We won 2-0 but it was a slightly strange match with Us doing little of note between their two goals and Stags swarming everywhere and having the bulk of possession.  Referee was useless - an "awayer" if there is such a thing.

Smallest league crowd of the season ensured a decent view from the curva and excellent sight of Bugiel's screamer.

20211123_213035.jpg

We lost 0-3 against Wycombe. Wycombe were, as usual, a horrible side to watch. Long balls, mysterious head injuries every time we had some momentum, tactical fouls and time wasting on a level no other team can ever hope to better. 15 extra minutes combined.

I hate watching them, they're anti-football. 

We had 27 shots and didn't score. That's the reason we lost. As soon as they went 0-1 up after 62 minutes, Wycombe started the pantomime villain routine. 

Frustrating. 

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

Long balls, mysterious head injuries every time we had some momentum, tactical fouls and time wasting on a level no other team can ever hope to better.

They truly are the cuntiest team in the division, I can't wait for them to piss off back to the championship.

3 hours ago, artz said:

They truly are the cuntiest team in the division, I can't wait for them to piss off back to the championship.

True. It was also freezing and Brendon Galloway was stretchered off with a dislocated knee cap at 0-0. That really affected the game too. Some of our players were visibly upset. 

I hate Wycombe. A lot of our fans are commenting how professional they are. In my view, they're cheats.  This isn't sour grapes as Gillingham and Cambridge played similarly this season.  We got points from them. 

Gareth Ainsworth must train this into them - you can't, by luck, sign players for years and years who all do the same things.  They have two or three main tactics. 

Tactic one is fall down with either a head injury or cramp when their opponents are mounting an attack or have built up momentum.  Yesterday one of their midfield players fell down in the box when the ball went out for a goal kick.  Clutching his head, the ref had to stop play.  The physio ran on and four minutes later - I was checking my watch, he limps off the pitch and then sprints up the touchline to get back on the pitch on the half way line.  During the stoppage, Ainsworth ushered all his players to the half way line for some coaching.  This delayed play even more as the ref had to wait for them all to get back in position. 

Tactic two is also to fall down and receive treatment if you're about to be substituted.  The sub was warmed up and ready with the fourth official so this one wasn't a sub due to an injury, it was pre-meditated.  That substitution would have taken a minute normally, it took four minutes due to the physio coming onto the pitch (yet again). 

Tactic three is to target a player and tactically foul him repeatedly on the half way line.  When that player finally reacts, surround him and shove him and try and get him booked.

I don't object to their style of play if they want to paly long ball and percentages - that's in the rules and fine.  I don't want to watch a long ball team but that's their decision.  I object to the outright cheating.

Something needs to happen re: "head injuries" - if you go down clutching your head and stop play, you should be made to sit out 5 minutes and get assessed by a doctor - there is a doctor present at every league game.  That would stop it. 

There's a reason Ainsworth who, on paper has massively overachieved at Wycombe, is still there.  No other chairman in the league at a club with a bigger fan base and more resources would want him at their club.  If we played that way, I wouldn't be a season ticket holder.  The man is a disgrace and his tactics are ruining lower league football as more and more teams are copying his approach. 

We are in some trouble this season. Last year all the recruitment worked wonderfully and we could play the type of footy that appleton wanted.   This year, some recruitment fell through and some of the ones we have got haven't hit the heights we needed them to.

We made an average Portsmouth last night look like a Premier League team.  We can't score for toffeee.  We had a plan A and no plan B , and continued to play Plan A when it wasn't working. Pompey played a high press against us and we couldn't handle it or adapt.

We've got a lot of injuries, but that excuse only runs so far.   Why do we have so many injuries?   There's a lot of discontent at the moment but this is when we need to all pull together instead of mouthing off. That helps no-one. Our recruitment needs to be on point in Jan and this is a big test for Appleton.

I've just realised that the club badge of Barrow AFC, our next opponent, features a visual pun - a bee skewered by an arrow (as well as the obligatory submarine etc). Unfortunately the bee looks more like a wasp, but hey ho you can't have it all.  Ours includes a green parakeet which I suppose is a reference to the multitude to be found locally descended from escapees.

Just returned from the siege of the Alamo.   Just checked the match stats and worthy of a screenshot.  Bear in mind the ferociously swirling wind and the Barrow corner count at half time, and probably at around the hour mark too, stood at around 3 or 4 and you get the idea.  It was extraordinary.  Unfortunately the corners were all taken at the distant end so I didn't get a good look at the close escapes, but a staggering effort.  Whole ground was rocking to Matty Gray's Amber army for the last 20 minutes or so.  Lovely goal from David Ajiboye too, but seems an age ago.

Screenshot_20211127-173503_Chrome.jpg

Well it was another disappointing day in the all-important 16th vs 17th League One battle as Lincoln hosted Accrington Stanley. Typical performance of late for the Imps, dominated the first half, but couldn’t create any clear chances. Accrington (who I know literally nothing about other than that old milk advert joke) got a breakaway goal early in the second half, and then it was all over. We had a small spell very late in the game but I think we could have played all night and never scored. That’s 3 games without scoring now and we still don’t have a clean sheet at home in the league. Doesn’t really seem to be any creative impetus at the moment with a fair few out injured. 

On 27/11/2021 at 21:06, neoELITE said:

Late winner for Wigan in a mostly woeful game. 3rd Vs 4th looked like a relegation battle. 

There was violence at the end. Our morons stormed the away end. Fists flying and the police swarmed that end of the ground.

It is worrying to see a number of these incidents being reported in recent weeks - I know we aren’t back to the violent days of the mid 1980s yet, but seems to be increasing.

On 29/11/2021 at 16:30, merman said:

It is worrying to see a number of these incidents being reported in recent weeks - I know we aren’t back to the violent days of the mid 1980s yet, but seems to be increasing.

The club are handing out stadium bans right now. 25 individuals have had their ticketing accounts suspended. 

The vice chairman of Sutton Utd has posted a video explaining the remaining works to be done at Gander Green Lane (technically the VBS Community Stadium).  Apparently, by April, we need to house 5,000 spectators of whom 1,000 must be seated.  At present only around 765 seats are available so a new permanent stand is being erected for away fans to the left of the "Tardis" (the blue porta offices underneath the scoreboard in the photo posted earlier in this thread).  That end terrace is also being pushed back so away contingent will be closer to 1,000 than the current 500-600.  There is also work to do to build new accommodation for referees and new classrooms for the Academy (I think the latter was the project which Arsenal contributed £50k to during that cup run).  There is also the temporary small away stand and the rather temporary feel to the disabled enclosure and TV gantry. So lots to do, and any additional funding trickling down from the Premier League would be most welcome.

Another good example of club communication though (there was also a fans forum with Matt Gray recently which I didn't attend). 

Cracking FA cup tie yesterday despite the possibly dull draw of a team in the same league. Cheltenham are above us in the league so it was never going to be easy, especially after we lost possession leading to a goal in the first minute. Great fightback from 0-1 to 4-1 and the place was rocking and some away fans started to leave. Then the subs killed the momentum before we almost self destructed. One dodgy pass out from the keeper resulted in a goal, followed by a headed own goal kept things interesting at 3-4. Held them off for the win though so into the 3rd round.

Great atmosphere throughout and decent seats thanks to whichever season ticket holder chose not to go.