Generic ‘eFootball’ mobile game also on consoles. The artist formerly known as PES.

Pockets

Starting this now mainly to let people know that you can download a demo for ‘New Football Game’ (yep, it’s called that). 

It’s an online performance test so it might be difficult to get a game even, which is why I thought I’d mention it here. 

• Pockets changed the title to PES 2022 ‘demo’ out now (until 8th July).

I read it was online only and quite rough round the edges, with things like player shadows missing - does seem a bold/odd move to miss a year with the game then release such an early demo.

22 minutes ago, nakamura said:

What systems?

Most it seems. I’m playing on Xbox.

It’s pretty fucking ropey. 

I know it’s a rough demo and they’ve been clear about that but fucking hell, they’ve done nothing. The menus and the UI are the same old shit. It looks fucking awful and while the gameplay seems okay from a quick go, they’ve changed how a lot of the controls work and lots of passes go where they want rather than where you want - much worse than usual. 

I’m most disappointed by the overall look of it. It’s so tired and is the same as ten years ago! Again, rough demo so I’ll reserve judgment but I’ve got a lot of experience with Konami and don’t expect much will change from this beyond the obvious tidy up it needs before it could be released. 

there is a video here. 

https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/first-gameplay-footage-from-pro-evolution-soccer-2022-using-unreal-engine-4/

Yeah, this is the version working on Unreal. I figured they weren't going to reinvent any wheels this time as they'd have enough of a headache replicating what they got in a new engine.

Hopefully being an online test, they are using some stable cut off point for stress testing while development carried on. 

I had hoped that taking a year break, together with reports in the past about how they couldn't remove kits from teams who no longer had a third option so just duplicated them meant that they'd take the time to overhaul the back end as well as port the match engine to Unreal.

If this is just the same old Master League with the same old formats and options then my interest drops off a cliff. It'll crop up on Game Pass in the new year, I'm sure, and I'll get around to playing it then.

IF this is the mobile game, can we perhaps assume that it was made in the Unreal engine?  The Fox engine is not something we've seen used for mobile games right? 

I'm now worried that PES 22 is going to use the mobile game as a 'base', and we're not getting a complete new rebuild of PES.

13 minutes ago, meatbin said:

IF this is the mobile game, can we perhaps assume that it was made in the Unreal engine?

It does say Unreal Engine in the menu.

I downloaded this earlier but didn't have time to actually play a match. Dunno why since I haven't enjoyed a football game since ISS64. Probably because it was free.

2 hours ago, meatbin said:

Apparently this is a port of the mobile game with some updated graphics, it's been put out just to stress test the servers. 

(I hope).

I can't imagine that, even for Konami that'd be a bizarre thing to do. It'll be the actual game (and that probably is a cheap and cheerful mobile port). 

They said a while back they were moving away from the FOX engine, which I think is a shame.

I'll give it a swerve until the full-fat, next-gen game is nailed. 2021 is the best yet anyway and pimped option files are easy to sort out.

It would make sense, or be excusable, if they hadn’t ‘taken a year off’ to avoid exactly this kind of shit. 

I’d have expected it I suppose. The fact they acknowledged all the shit and said they were taking extra time to fix it - and now this. Pfft. 

Hopefully this isn’t the game, because it’s just the same shit but worse. I’ll reserve judgement until they show something they say is the actual game. 

11 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

pimped option files are easy to sort out.

Can you do this on Xbox yet? I remember in previous versions it wasn't possible. Has that changed or is it PC/PS only still?

17 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

Can you do this on Xbox yet? I remember in previous versions it wasn't possible. Has that changed or is it PC/PS only still?

Not on Xbox. No idea if that’s different with new gen but isn’t it basically the same OS? Can’t imagine Konami doing anything their end. 

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Not on Xbox. No idea if that’s different with new gen but isn’t it basically the same OS? Can’t imagine Konami doing anything their end. 

Ah well, PC it is then for me. Thank you!

Having the weird Australian (?) stadium announcer congratulate a fan on their wedding anniversary at a Juve v Bayern game just seemed like classic PES getting presentation catastrophically wrong again. I don’t have much hope if that’s the sort of stuff they’ve been adding, whatever this version turns out to be. 

Watching that video posted above, three painful things stick out.

1.  Same drab typeface and UI.

2. Same drab sounds, and poor crowd sound management (the crowd CHEER at a low-key backpass)

3. Same dreadful AI defender player positioning.  I think it's the second goal, the centre backs are walking away from the attacker as he comes into the box, and basically don't do anything whatsoever to make themselves useful.  It's been like this for the last 5 years or so.    

I've given up on PES, but I was hoping for a proper reboot thanks to the Unreal engine on next-gen.  Even if a potential reboot has issues, I wouldn't mind if it looked like Konami were trying to improve the game overall, but to me it looks like they're just recycling their code base and we're seeing the same old thing from the last 5-7 years.

The stodgyness and lack of progress has led me to seek out older PES games. Apparently PES2013 and 2017 are some of the best recently so I've ordered em cheap. Its all got less responsive and more 'realistic' recently and it's losing the fun because of it.

Yep this looks like PES. Will they ever make any meaningful changes to it? Even the UI font has got to be 10 years old now. Animations that still look like they are from the PS3 game. 

I wish another company would try and take on FIFA. I miss the days of random companies putting out football games...

Since it’s about the only game Konami make on console now, I’m surprised they haven’t just flogged it off to another publisher to have a proper go at it. But I think the licensing is just too tied up to try competing. 

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

The stodgyness and lack of progress has led me to seek out older PES games. Apparently PES2013 and 2017 are some of the best recently so I've ordered em cheap. Its all got less responsive and more 'realistic' recently and it's losing the fun because of it.

I spent a lot of enjoyable time with PES 2013, the Master League is good. 

PES 2017 is for sure the best version in the last 4 years.

2 hours ago, meatbin said:

I spent a lot of enjoyable time with PES 2013, the Master League is good. 

PES 2017 is for sure the best version in the last 4 years.

Its lovely that PES5 works on Xbox 360 too. With that, the awful 2008 version, 13 and 17 it feels like I have all the eras covered...

Played a bit of 2008 yesterday to just see the England squad, Stuart Downing and Crouchy in the default 11 🤩

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/06/2021 at 17:34, Fry Crayola said:

If this is just the same old Master League with the same old formats and options then my interest drops off a cliff. It'll crop up on Game Pass in the new year, I'm sure, and I'll get around to playing it then.

We're not even getting this any more, ffs

I guess the one glimmer of hope is that they've said future modes may be optional paid DLC. But really, this showcases where Konami's focus is with the game now - taking on FUT and being an online multiplayer game, with single player stuff way down the list of priorities.

Last week I picked up Tennis Elbow 4, where you can start your tennis career as a 13 year old junior and play in pretty much any era from the 70s onwards. Outside of Football Manager, where's the football game with that sort of focus, instead of being the videogame equivalent of an overly enthusiastic influencer pleading to like and subscribe?

• Pockets changed the title to Generic ‘eFootball’ mobile game also on consoles. The artist formerly known as PES.