Generic ‘eFootball’ mobile game also on consoles. The artist formerly known as PES.

Pockets

I remember for a long time, ISS/PES was considered the gamer's choice, and FIFA was seen as for shallow people who cared about flashy presentation and having the correct club badges for teams from Norway's third division. But at some point PES's reputation declined, while FIFA's improved.

Having not played a PES since 3 (with Pierluigi Collina on the cover!) or a FIFA since, I think, WC2002... when did that switch happen?

IIRC the first PES games in the 360/PS3 generation were not well received, and then FIFA did a significant revamp with FIFA 10 that seemed to be popular.

Am I remembering that right?

34 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I remember for a long time, ISS/PES was considered the gamer's choice, and FIFA was seen as for shallow people who cared about flashy presentation and having the correct club badges for teams from Norway's third division. But at some point PES's reputation declined, while FIFA's improved.

Having not played a PES since 3 (with Pierluigi Collina on the cover!) or a FIFA since, I think, WC2002... when did that switch happen?

IIRC the first PES games in the 360/PS3 generation were not well received, and then FIFA did a significant revamp with FIFA 10 that seemed to be popular.

Pes 6 was the first 360 one I think - this played well but was missing loads of stuff that had been previously established in other PES games. 

Pes 2008 was the first proper one I think and it was a bit of a shambles. The online especially was terrible. 

I think you are right that FIFA 10 was where the turn around started properly. 

I do think FIFA has been treading water for years now - it's basically just an ultimate team money making scheme. 

I miss the days when you'd get a random company releasing their own football games.  

I'm sure they'll add ML and other modes as paid DLC to the base free game but it's now apparent that the move to Unreal was not about making an exciting next gen game but about having one engine that could work across all platforms. 

It seems that awful demo that people said was just the mobile game is the new game after all, because it is a mobile game. If you're going to have crossplay with iPhones, then you have to cater to the lowest common denominator - even if you have a scalable graphics engine, the game will be the same as what's on the iPhone.

I'm out anyway. Regardless of everything else, that fucking video they released was far worse than the most ludicrous parody Chris Morris could have made if EA had paid him to. I've lost the last sliver of faith I had.

It's a shame as I do prefer the on pitch action of PES but everything else is two decades (actually, not an exaggeration) behind. Also, FIFA isn't that bad once you get used to its differences. Going from one to the other always feels odd at first but it's okay once you settle.

There was a Eurogamer thing saying FIFA 22 played quite well so I guess I'll get that. I have all sorts of issues with it but for single player career mode it's okay and I don't play as much as I used to so I'm less likely to get that annoyed about the issues. In many ways it's a much better experience and my more casual nature of late should mean I'll be happy enough with it.

52 minutes ago, Nick R said:

FIFA 09 was heavily revamped. They got in a producer who was a PES fanatic and rebuilt the game to be more like PS2 PES.

PES 6 outsold FIFA in the U.K. and then it went rapidly downhill where they had several years during the early days of the PS3/360 where it was awful.

PES 2013 was a return to form and has been a far better game than FIFA since then.

Considering everyone just plays Barcelona vs Barcalona online, I wonder if people will pay for much of it. 

I'd probably just shell out for some international teams and play them at random. It'll save me a fortune. 

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

you're missing a chunk though, FIFA did stomp Pro Evo into dust during the PS360 era but then Konami changed the team around and put the game on Fox Engine, from Pro Evo 2015 onwards it's been pretty great but the damage was done with ultimate team and licenses. people want FIFA cos it looks like how they think football should look like on telly, not how it plays. Konami have been trying to shift focus to myclub for a while now and this just cements it.

done for me, I guess.

I'm just hoping I can play PES 4 or 5 on the steam deck. Nothing since has came close to those games. 

Would be amazing if there was still online play. 

55 minutes ago, bradigor said:

@Fry Crayola tell me more about Tennis Elbow 4

PC only, currently in early access on Steam, but pretty much as playable as the previous game, Tennis Elbow 2013. Console versions are planned but I wouldn't expect to see them for a long time yet.

Mostly the work of one guy who's been doing the series since the late nineties. Not much to look at graphically, but it's the gameplay where it counts and it plays a great game of tennis. Takes a little while to get the hang of it because there's no real tutorial or anything.

The career mode sees you start either as a young pro, or a younger junior, ranked below 1000 in the world. Loads of competitions at different levels from Grand Slam down to ITF M15, or down to Grade D in the junior circuit, complete with qualifying if you're not ranked high enough, the ability to play both singles and doubles (no mixed, however, but that's only a small loss), and a whole host of players based on real ones (with obligatory modding for real names) and generated lower level players to face, all developing alongside you. It's very engrossing, although still lacks a bit of polish there's a lot of detail there.

11 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

PC only, currently in early access on Steam, but pretty much as playable as the previous game, Tennis Elbow 2013. Console versions are planned but I wouldn't expect to see them for a long time yet.

Mostly the work of one guy who's been doing the series since the late nineties. Not much to look at graphically, but it's the gameplay where it counts and it plays a great game of tennis. Takes a little while to get the hang of it because there's no real tutorial or anything.

The career mode sees you start either as a young pro, or a younger junior, ranked below 1000 in the world. Loads of competitions at different levels from Grand Slam down to ITF M15, or down to Grade D in the junior circuit, complete with qualifying if you're not ranked high enough, the ability to play both singles and doubles (no mixed, however, but that's only a small loss), and a whole host of players based on real ones (with obligatory modding for real names) and generated lower level players to face, all developing alongside you. It's very engrossing, although still lacks a bit of polish there's a lot of detail there.

Ok sold.

I'd say FIFA 08 was the earliest point where FIFA started to come good, but it was a little slow and they hadn't quite got there yet. Then Euro 2008 came along, increased the speed, and played a very good game. 

For me, FIFA's problem nowadays is that it just doesn't flow as well as PES does. It still feels too much like you can ping the ball around with ease rather than needing to consider momentum, the players don't have any real weight to them, and everyone seems capable of turning on a sixpence. As a result, it just feels less satisfying to play, as though there's more importance placed on being tricky with the ball and pulling off skill moves than playing a tactical game of football. Things like the timed finishing system follow on from that - the emphasis is too far towards the individual player, while ironically not doing enough to make them stand apart.

You can go back to ISS Pro 98 on the PS1 and find a game that still has the same core of modern PES, a game of passing, movement and working opportunities as a collective, and maximising the strengths of those individual players, and feeling like you're putting together a team in a flowing football match. 

PES has been shit since PES6 on the 360.

Fifa has been good since Fifa 09, but it's now going downhill, i just hope Sega or somebody else decides to make a football game now Fifa has no real competition.

Master League co-op with my pro evo buddy is the only reason I buy the games, so waiting for that announcement or this will be the end of my beautiful relationship with PES. 

never got on with fifa's career mode because of how badly stats scale, if you start with a lower league side they're practically unable to do anything. always felt like pro evo was more realistic in how younger players and worse stats performed and you could still get a decent game out of it.

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Yeah, career mode is basically that. 

Cool. Can you start off as a team of unknowns like PES? 

I suppose that doesn't matter too much, I could just start as a lower league team and work up. 

17 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

PES has been shit since PES6 on the 360.

Fifa has been good since Fifa 09, but it's now going downhill, i just hope Sega or somebody else decides to make a football game now Fifa has no real competition.

Not exactly a nuanced summary of things there. 2013 was great. 2017 is the best 'arcadey' pes of all time imo. It's so fast, responsive and you feel like you can anything. 2019 is the best 'sim' one for me, the way you shift the players' weight with the left stick and the ball feels like a real object. It's fab! The newest ones are unresponsive and shit tho.

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I miss the days when you'd get a random company releasing their own football games. 

The late '90s-early 2000s truly were a golden age for range of football titles - even if their quality wasn't always great, at least the names were different:

Actua Soccer! Olympic Soccer! World League Soccer '98! Adidas Power Soccer! Viva Football! UEFA Striker! This Is Football! Club Football!

And several of them were attempts by Sega to get a football series to call their own during the Saturn/Dreamcast era: International Victory Goal! Sega Worldwide Soccer! Virtua Striker! UEFA Dream Soccer! 90 Minutes!

(It's been said before, but Sega sponsoring three football teams when the DC didn't have FIFA, ISS, or any other football series big enough to compete with them was one of many examples of Sega shooting themselves in the foot in that period. At least they eventually ended up owning the dominant football management series.)

36 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'd say FIFA 08 was the earliest point where FIFA started to come good, but it was a little slow and they hadn't quite got there yet. 

FIFA 08 was a complete rewrite from previous FIFA titles. It was essentially a clone of PES - shooting, through balls and one-twos worked exactly like PES and idiosyncrasies like triple tap to low cross were all present and correct. There was even an 'alternate' control scheme which mirrored PES's setup. It's still there to this day and I assume is the most widely used control scheme, I can't imagine what sort of deviant shoots with O/B. 

It played a bit stiff but there was little of the jank common to PES and the netcode was miles better.  As you say, Euro08 came along - upped the tempo, took the training wheels off and, for me at least, has played a better game of football than PES every year since. 

I haven’t played PES or FIFA much for a long time but bought the recent PES Season Update cheap for the Euro’s mode and I think it’s great, it just feels like football, much more than FIFA imo. It’ll be a shame if they lose some of this progress moving to a new engine.

• Pockets changed the title to Generic ‘eFootball’ mobile game also on consoles. The artist formerly known as PES.
Just now, gossi the dog said:

For those of you that abandoned PES years ago, PES 2021 is down to £3.74 on PSN 

It’s free on gamepass. But we might as well get used to FIFA controls now. (Which is also free on gamepass I think). 

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

It’s free on gamepass. But we might as well get used to FIFA controls now. (Which is also free on gamepass I think). 

I haven’t been so disgusted by myself as when I bought FIFA 18 on the Xbox. It was a turgid, sluggish, atrocity of a game. I’m not going there. Ever. I’ll stick to the old games and data updates. Or at least hope that eFootball isn’t that bad.