Generic ‘eFootball’ mobile game also on consoles. The artist formerly known as PES.

Pockets

On 22/07/2021 at 20:04, Pockets said:

It’s cross platform with mobile. That means the core gameplay has to be playable on mobile so how good can it be on console

I mean, it's football. You can play it with an analogue stick and couple of buttons. Easy to replicate on a screen. 

Christ, FIFA has a 1 button mode. Are you saying that all versions suffer because they have a 1 button mode for noobs like me?

1 hour ago, T Pot said:

I mean, it's football. You can play it with an analogue stick and couple of buttons. Easy to replicate on a screen. 

Christ, FIFA has a 1 button mode. Are you saying that all versions suffer because they have a 1 button mode for noobs like me?

i read this as the engine and physics have to run on mobile, not that it's got simplified controls.

Mobile phones have been at the power level where the PS4 and Xbox One were for years now, so unless you can point to some incredibly new physics in the PS5 edition of FIFA that revolutionizes the game, it's a complete irrelevance.

Let's be honest, it's not about technical or control aspects at all and is just gatekeeping because it's not one of the three platforms people have nostalgia for.

24 minutes ago, SMD said:

i read this as the engine and physics have to run on mobile, not that it's got simplified controls.

As @RubberJohnny points out. Phones are plenty powerful enough now to not have watered down versions. Look at COD, PUBG, Real Racing 3 etc. They're all good alternatives to the console versions. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Mobile phones have been at the power level where the PS4 and Xbox One were for years now

That may be the case at the higher end. It's certainly not the case with the phone I own.

However, we don't know the minimum specification for the game on mobile so it'd be speculation to assume anything at this point. And it's not as though Konami haven't released fantastic football games in the past on even weaker hardware than my shitty little handset.

42 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Do any of them cross play with the console versions?

No, but they're also not really scaled down. Mobile devices are plenty powerful these days. The game is running on Unreal Engine which scales pretty well. Look at Fortnite. iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Switch, Xbox One, PS4, PS5, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X. They are all crosplay with each other and it works really well.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Mobile phones have been at the power level where the PS4 and Xbox One were for years now, so unless you can point to some incredibly new physics in the PS5 edition of FIFA that revolutionizes the game, it's a complete irrelevance.

Let's be honest, it's not about technical or control aspects at all and is just gatekeeping because it's not one of the three platforms people have nostalgia for.

Phones can't run at that level non stop or they'll heat up and/or drain the battery, that's why the processors get throttled. And while you can buy mobile phones that are more powerful than the PS4, the majority of phones don't really run at that level. I don't think it's controversial to say that a mobile base potentially means a less complicated game engine. I'm not even that arsed about the graphics if it plays beautifully.

It depends. Genshin Impact is an example of a cross platform game that runs much better on phones than on ps4 (and we're not talking super-expensive phones, midrangers). 

It's like 20fps on ps4 a lot of the time where my Poco F3 hits 60 fps easily. That phone is cheaper than a Switch OLED. The game is identical otherwise. 

But, you know, Konami so this will be pish.

Similarly I tried Genshin on mobile, that game exists on PC and PS4 as well and it's great on all of them (although PS4 seems badly optimised, judging by some footage online).

It really highlighted how stupid the conversation around mobiles on here was, because something shitty that hung around for ages like the 3DS with it's 480p resistive touchscreen and 15fps games and design that scratched the screen was brilliant "because Nintendo" yet "holy shit this is literally a current-gen console in my pocket, this would blow my fucking mind as a kid" was bad somehow, because tfw made by a different company, no nostalgia :(

This is literally just going to be how multiplatform games are this gen - on mobiles as well - they're half the industry, the devices are fully capable, get used to it you gaming gammons.

There's a whole thread but this sticks out for me:

Someone please make a proper football game, doesn't need any licenses or anything. Just let it play well. Please.

I hooked up my N64 to play some Iss98 recently, I had so much control over the ball, completely forgot just how many moves and control you had. Just superb after all these years!

Would love to Konami to surprise us with a return to the Iss series and thats what they've been working on for the past 2 years... it's definitely happening... right, right??

Now the dust has settled a bit, I'm less worried about this, and the only real concern I have is that if it flops financially, Konami might just end the series.

The initial release becomes a free demo, the Master League DLC is probably a hell of a lot cheaper (although I've normally been picking the game up for £15 or so anyway), and the actual gameplay was kinda up in the air anyway whether they went with the traditional model or not, due to the engine switch.

Early impressions can make or break a free to play game. I wouldn’t bank on this being around for long if they do something really moronic like launch it with hardly any modes and a handful of teams.

I bought 2022 last week for £3.70 and it could not hold my attention at all. 

Konami need a massive rethink and tbh I think this might sink the series. 

Currently feel a bit homeless when it comes to football games. 

On 26/07/2021 at 10:44, Stoppy2000 said:

I seem to remember they used to do really strange things like have a useful feature in one game and then remove it in the next? I'm fairly certain it was usually edit mode things. It just felt like Konami were completely unaware what the fans liked about their games. 

This was my experience during the PS2 and then Xbox 360 / PS3 era. The game never really got any better, it was just different each year. Every single year they tell you how the players all feel very different and a new physics system means more weight to blah blah blah. I gave up in about 2011 I think. I tried one version on PS4 and it was one of the worst games I'd played in a while. The genre is dead imo, because the masses want "realism" and licenses and player likeness etc. I couldn't care less about that. I think I'd probably be more interested in Mario Soccer or Sensible Soccer at this stage. 

It's a shame really. I've been playing through the PS2 games again, doing a master league with each. Up to W.E 6 FE and the games are just so good to play. Sure there is some nostalgia but they just play well when you relearn them!

Just now, nakamura said:

It's a shame really. I've been playing through the PS2 games again, doing a master league with each. Up to W.E 6 FE and the games are just so good to play. Sure there is some nostalgia but they just play well when you relearn them!

Those games were amazing at the time. My biggest gripe was always with the goalkeepers. The animations on them were the same for at least 10 years. A real shame to see PES fall so far. 

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

To be fair, those games were the simulations of their day, not arcade experiences. Modern day PES is a straightforward evolution of them.

2 hours ago, nakamura said:

I bought 2022 last week for £3.70 and it could not hold my attention at all. 

Konami need a massive rethink and tbh I think this might sink the series. 

Currently feel a bit homeless when it comes to football games. 

So is 2021 not great then? It's £3.74 in the PSN summer sale and I want a football game.

Am I better off buying FIFA 21 for £12.59?

4 minutes ago, SMD said:

FIFA is garbage

I think it is and it isn't. As a basic football game it isn't too bad but when you get to a higher level, and skill moves become dominant, it's barely even football anymore.

Just now, Timmo said:

I think it is and it isn't. As a basic football game it isn't too bad but when you get to a higher level, and skill moves become dominant, it's barely even football anymore.

yeah that's pretty much it, I hate the reliance on pace and skill moves, watching the FIFA eSports stuff is really cringe and I don't really have strong opinions either way about eSports in general.

19 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

So is 2021 not great then? It's £3.74 in the PSN summer sale and I want a football game.

Am I better off buying FIFA 21 for £12.59?

Get PES 2019 (more sim), or 2017 (more arcade-y) second hand cheap disc and enjoy!

18 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I enjoyed 2021, it's a fine football game. Helps, I guess, that I'd played a fair chunk of 2020 as well, which is nigh identical.