IGNORED

Generic ‘eFootball’ mobile game also on consoles. The artist formerly known as PES.

Thread Owner

On 03/08/2021 at 23:19, Pockets said:

Yeah, I definitely found that too but stuck on World Class for ages because last time I put as much time in World Class was the highest or one below maybe. 

Now I think it’s two below and have gone up to Legendary

Cheers for this - I bumped it up to Legendary and have found it more of a challenge and with relatively little attacking nonsense from the AI that I was seeing before. Plays a better game as a result. 

On 26/07/2021 at 17:08, SMD said:

Phones can't run at that level non stop or they'll heat up and/or drain the battery, that's why the processors get throttled. And while you can buy mobile phones that are more powerful than the PS4, the majority of phones don't really run at that level. I don't think it's controversial to say that a mobile base potentially means a less complicated game engine. I'm not even that arsed about the graphics if it plays beautifully.

how about now

• 2 weeks later...

This comes out on September 30th, and as expected it'll be pretty barebones.

Nine teams (Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, Man United, Arsenal, Corinthians, Flamengo, River Plate and Sao Paulo), six stadiums (Camp Nou, Old Trafford, Juventus Stadium, Emirates, Allianz Arena and a generic eFootball Stadium). Basically a demo then, albeit one with online play, not that anybody should care about that sort of thing.

Meanwhile:

On 03/08/2021 at 22:20, nakamura said:

PES also needs more variable ball speed control. 

I think you've mentioned this a few times in the past and I've usually just dismissed it, because I happen to think PES plays fine so it's not really missing it.

Having sunk a lot more time than usual into FIFA, and especially since knocking the difficulty up as Pockets suggested, I've come to love the ability to sprint at that intermediate speed, it really does add something to dribbling and - as is usually the case with these games - PES would do well to borrow it.

With the current PES, you either press the sprint button or you don't, with a further increase available if you knock the ball further on.

In FIFA, you can half-hold the trigger and your player moves faster than if you don't press it at all, but slower than the full sprint. The key thing there is that you retain better control of the ball, so it's useful when you want to run at a defence and try to force them back or commit to a press, but don't want to give them an easy possession by knocking the ball further ahead of you. In (the foolishly named) World Class level and below, it's not necessary at all because the defenders tend to let you run and run at any speed, but in Legendary it becomes quite crucial to be able to retain possession if you don't have clear space to run into.

Basically it lets you feel like you're Raheem Sterling.

19 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

With the current PES, you either press the sprint button or you don't, with a further increase available if you knock the ball further on.

I haven't played in quite a while, but I always recall five distinct pace levels.

L1 - Slowest, most precise

Just the stick

R2 - Mid-sprint, some ball control

R1 - Sprint, less control

R1 tap - Sprint, knock-on, least control but gets the most out of speed stats.

I suppose the R2 tap from a standing start could be folded in with these too.

I'd like to see something incorporated into the haptic feedback though, as I think was mentioned on their last video.

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I don't recall the R2 sprint, though I may have just overlooked it if it's there. 

No sorry, you might be right. It's funny how when you play so much of something it's hard to translate that muscle memory back to which button is which. I'm not with my console at the moment otherwise I'd fire it up and check.

Either way, there are at least four different paces.

8 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Either way, there are at least four different paces.

Aye, there are. It's that intermediate between the standard stick-only run and the sprint that is really quite fun to use and I think adds to the experience.

FIFA, meanwhile, is sorely missing PES's ability to play a manual pass or shot regardless of your control setup. 

20 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

This comes out on September 30th, and as expected it'll be pretty barebones.

Nine teams (Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, Man United, Arsenal, Corinthians, Flamengo, River Plate and Sao Paulo), six stadiums (Camp Nou, Old Trafford, Juventus Stadium, Emirates, Allianz Arena and a generic eFootball Stadium).

eFootball EuropeanSuperLeague.

• 4 weeks later...

It's dreadful. Absolutely woeful. What on Earth have they been doing for 2 years?! Instead of creating a next gen game, they've clearly just looked to bring it in line with the mobile game, to get more milk out of the MyClub cash cow. The controls are slippy and imprecise, shooting is awful and god knows what they've done to the defending. The pitch and crowds are laughable, glitches are commonplace.

RIP Pro Evo/PES 1997 - 2021 :(

I played 1 game and thought it was ok and certainly still more fun than fifa. Passing was crisp and shooting felt great. Defending though... its had the biggest change and feels sloppy as hell. Player selection is a major issue as well. I have a player selected to intercept and it just changes for no reason. 

People were not kidding about barebones though. Theres only friendlies for single player with a choice of about 9 teams. Multiplayer has some events thing where you can pick far more. Also i dont see an option to have an online friendly with friends. 

I will just stick to playing PES 5. 

I am yet to come across any of the big animation bugs, not saying they're not there just I haven't seen them.

I really enjoy the pace and general feel of each game. There are things that need addressed mainly around players, especially in defence, just letting balls go past them or overrunning interceptions. Defence is massively different and it takes a bit of getting used to but it's starting to click with me.

I don't understand why you can pick from over 100 teams in online multiplayer but restricted to 9 for local! Madness! But these things will come.

It's nowhere near perfect, but it is far from the worst football game I've ever played. I'd argue it's not the worst football game this year! I played the 10 hour trial of FIFA and I am at a loss as to why people enjoy that game. For those that are giving off about the graphics in PES (refuse to use the other name) open your eyes and look at the blurry mess that EA have produced!

It has a way to go, but I'm happy to let it get there.

I don't know if it is overuse of motion blur or being really liberal with the use of LOD models but in general play it can be really bad.

Needless to say after that last message I came across quite a few of the animation bugs. They seem to be entirely due to the "Physical Defending" and do look quite ridiculous at times.

I've played one match, it ended 1-1, and it's a good job I didn't want to play any more because even something as simple as going on to extra time wasn't an option.

It's slow and unresponsive, and the AI on both teams seemed happy to let balls (oh, so very slow balls) go to their targets. It's as if all are possessed by the mind of Trigger intent on getting a lift to the pub from Del Boy, as they even run over the top of the ball to get to their favoured defensive positions. 

We know the game itself is unfinished, because they've told us that. But the game doesn't need to feel unfinished and Konami have put out demos of PES in the last few years that feel more polished and final than this. Demos where I'd be happy to play a few matches in a row and get a feel for the thing. Instead, I've to put up with choppy performance (playing on PC), pitch black loading screens, the bizarre forced match between two international sides without either being available for selection thereafter, and more Jim Beglin than anybody ever asked for.

PES 2014, I think, had similar issues with a lack of responsiveness and general drudgery and it took another while to get it right. So maybe the game will be good in 2023, or maybe this will completely flop and kill the series.

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

The problem is, it’s a loved series that has die hard apologists. I used to be one. People need to accept and call it out for the shit that it is rather than say stuff like ‘still better than fifa’ and whatever else. 

I'm one, but here's the rub - I fucking loved the last few iterations of PES. I'm not gonna hide that just so that Konami are held to account for the shit aspects, which I do slate.

But this, this is not good at all. FIFA 21 has been far more fun.