IGNORED

Benny's 90s PC game obscure crap corner. Sometimes awesome

Benny

I remember enjoying starship titanic too and was wondering about the whole concept of text adventures with today's tech and machine learning shenanigans. I think you could probably make a really interesting text input game. 

I strangely have almost no memory whatsoever about the plot or ending of starship titanic though and I'm sure I played it long enough to finish it. 

8 hours ago, Benny said:

I noticed some Warhammer 40k stuff had been posted so that requires:

One of the most atmospheric games of the time and I think for my money still the best videogame implementation of Space Hulk

I had the 3DO version. I totally forgot it was a PC port. Great game.

4 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Return to Zork

My phone auto completes it to Return to Work, which is rather fitting. We were the first amongst our friends to get a CD ROM drive, so our house suddenly became very popular as people came to see this. Actual people....talking! It was quite the thrill. I think between my brothers and I we finished this, but quite honestly I don't remember much. 

Interestingly in my mind I still think of it as looking great, so this video was a bit of a shock.

If you're speaking of Return to Zork, you've got to bring up the follow-ups. Zork: Nemesis, the rather more serious Myst-a-like, and the far superior Zork: Grand Inquisitor which leans more for comedy fantasy. I got horifically stuck in the later and keep meaning to go back to complete it.

And speaking of Zork again, special mention to the Lost Treasures of Infocom 1 and 2. Not strictly 90s, but the compilations came out then. Thirty-one classic text adventures over two volumes. That was the box set of the nineties for me. I loved text adventures. Can't believe I haven't played one for years.

You could still bring out text adventures like the Spellcasting 101 series in the '90s and it didn't seem too weird. Although Spellcasting 101 (i.e. sexy Harry Potter) may not have aged well content-wise...

11 hours ago, Benny said:

Do you think it's time for some Star Trek? It's always time for some Star Trek:

[...]

A bit ropey by today's standards but I remember really liking this, even if the puzzles were a bit crap.

Trek, you say - best 90s Trek was the 1992 25th Anniversary game by Interplay; it was basically a bunch of new ST:TOS episodes in game form, as point and click adventures. 

Check out that Soundblaster theme tune!

Blood is still excellent, one of the best FPS ever made. 

I was a huge fan of One Must Fall but only ever had the shareware version, played it to death though. And Raptor! Oh man, that was great. I remember playing LAN Descent, and that was a good laugh.

This is such a great thread.

25 minutes ago, Blunted said:

I remember being quite into Shogo: Mobile Armour Division, an early Monolith effort although I suspect it was probably utter pap:

Amazing game. And blood 2 in the same engine.

59 minutes ago, smac said:

Trek, you say - best 90s Trek was the 1992 25th Anniversary game by Interplay; it was basically a bunch of new ST:TOS episodes in game form, as point and click adventures. 

Check out that Soundblaster theme tune!

I had this on the Amiga (I was one of those freaks with a hard drive) and the thing I always remember the most was scoring extra at the end of each episode if the random red shirt that accompanied each away team mission actually managed to survive.

Great game!

Can we mention the Interstate games? No? Screw it:

Also Breakneck, which I always thought looked ace in the adverts and then I got around to finding some old demo or abandonware thing and just

1 hour ago, iloverage said:

Any love for Big Red Racing? One of the best racers of the decade for sure.

Yes! Loved that. Well I have fond memories, it might have actually been crap. 

Another game I adored was Motorcross Madness. Midtown Madness was also fun, 3 in particular, but Motorcross had massive (extremely empty) cross country levels to mess about in. You were supposed to race to different gates but it was more fun to find massive jumps and hit the dynamic camera button, it even better manage to break out of the game world by driving into the cliffs at the edge and get your cannoned back into the middle. 

I spent so many hours achieving absolutely nothing in that game. 

https://youtu.be/wIzR-Rwiqg8

The sequel was more of the same but with more to look at. 

And in finding that video, I've learned that they brought the game back for the 360. 

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Can we mention the Interstate games? No? Screw it:

Interstate 76 was amazing. Great campaign, fun deathmatch (we played it more than Quake as it was more even), free funk album and a poem button.

1 hour ago, iloverage said:

Any love for Big Red Racing? One of the best racers of the decade for sure.

I got this CD free with some hardware and in true PC gaming fashion it never ran.

Big Red Racing! Am sure if I went back to it today everything would handle like a shed, but at the time it was brilliant.

I spent a lot of time on Sid and Al’s Incredible Toons as a kid. Fond memories! Very much in the same vein as Incredible Machine in that you’re setting up some highly silly Rube Goldberg machines.

3 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Big Red Racing! Am sure if I went back to it today everything would handle like a shed, but at the time it was brilliant.

I spent a lot of time on Sid and Al’s Incredible Toons as a kid. Fond memories! Very much in the same vein as Incredible Machine in that you’re setting up some highly silly Rube Goldberg machines.

That's the first game in this thread that I've never even heard of! It does look very, er, "inspired" by the Impossible Machine games, for sure.

I've been struggling to think of truly obscure PC games - as MK mentioned upthread, most PC exclusives of the 90s are considered "obscure" simply by right of being PC games, thanks to the smaller market and more niche press (and lack of single corporate entity existing to advertise the back-catalogue over the decades); so even front-cover winners like Evolva, or genre-defining games like Bungie's best selling pre-Halo series, Myth (absolute top-tier real-time-tactics games) could be considered obscure.

So I don't really know if any of the following are really all that obscure — I just know I have fond memories of them, and have never seen people talk about them.

Battle Bugs (Epyx - 1994)

I really loved this game. The first real-time-with-pause tactics game I ever played, filled with adorable bugs, extensive rock-paper-scissors and special-ability based combat, it honestly still feels a little ahead of its time.

Roundly ignored, as is the custom of its genre.

Darker (Psygnosis - 1995)

Struggling to get a wide colour palette in your 3D game? Make it a feature, not a bug! Okay, Darker wasn't actually very good, but its core conceit of being stuck on the dark side of a planet and needing to manage your energy by making use of power pylons dotted around the city was a fun one. Psygnosis would soon figure out how to make nighttime city flight combat games sing (hi, G-Police), but until then we had this.

Innocent Until Caught/Guilty (Divide By Zero- 1993/1995)

A couple of darkly humorous point and clicks which I never, ever see mentioned. And, relatedly, have not been able to find copies of in the last decade, so only have youthful memories to go on.

Said youthful memories are that I loved these. Beneath A Steel Sky is the famously brilliant British sci-fi point and click game of the 90s, but I spent a lot of time enjoying these space crime capers, and I'd love to do so again. They can't be too obscure, given they were successful enough to have two entries in the series, but good luck trying to find anyone who's played them!

This bloody thread has finally made me pull the trigger on setting up PCem, which seems to have been unfortunately ceased to be since a week or so ago. I'm following a video here, but it's likely not going through some of the more spicier configurations that are now available with the program (like having a Pentium II / Voodoo 3000).

I've already gave myself a large surge of nostalgia by trying to find the right hooky boot disk and CD Key, to go with my hooky Windows 98 Second Edition, which is three separate sources.

It's already like the good old days of computing!

image.png.364b72f24d1cdd59d6e2e66f26814854.png

Edit: Not exactly obscure, but my first attempt at running a game will be something that honestly is on my shelf somewhere with all the PC Gamer Demo Disks and multiple copies of Diablo II and Total Annihilation: the ultra-violent Soldier of Fortune!

Even the InstallShield setup screens were wild back in the day. Good god, how could I forget them?

image.png.95d7f4969d7ce42ea47beae7f7d22ef9.png

Looking back at this thread, it's bonkers how many of the (mostly UK) games mentioned are made by people I've worked with. The UK games biz really is the same 20 or so dudes setting up different companies in different combinations since the 1980s.

20 minutes ago, smac said:

The 90s had a bunch of mech/mecha sims; the one I remember playing was Earthsiege 2:

Although Mechwarrior was also out on PC.

c'mon man, you KNOW mechwarrior 2 was king of PC mech games in the 90s! :P ...tbh i still think MW2 looks fantastic, in its original form just in high res, with the gourad shading! the "3d card" versions all look shite though!

and if you want to know how to get it running today - https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES:MechWarrior_2

When I saw that network Q video I thought I was losing my memory - it couldn't have possibly looked that bad - at the time it was amazing.

Luckily it did not look that bad and was indeed amazing because it was a different game (sequel I suppose) with basically the same name:

10 minutes ago, MegaTrousers said:

When I saw that network Q video I thought I was losing my memory - it couldn't have possibly looked that bad - at the time it was amazing.

Luckily it did not look that bad and was indeed amazing because it was a different game (sequel I suppose) with basically the same name:

It's amazing how your brain works though, I remember thinking lotus esprit challenge and then jaguar xj220 on the amiga couldn't possibly look any better. 

Then again with network q.

Then again with Colin mcrae 

Etc etc etc

One day, forza horizon 5 will look as bad once we're sitting in a full virtual car that simulates all the bumps in the road in your vr chamber/ suit :P

On 25/06/2021 at 17:24, PeteJ said:

Return to Zork

My phone auto completes it to Return to Work, which is rather fitting. We were the first amongst our friends to get a CD ROM drive, so our house suddenly became very popular as people came to see this. Actual people....talking! It was quite the thrill. I think between my brothers and I we finished this, but quite honestly I don't remember much. 

Interestingly in my mind I still think of it as looking great, so this video was a bit of a shock. 

I loved Return to Zork back in the day. I recently got a copy for my eMac and it has higher quality video than the DOS version, possibly comparable to the Reelmedia MPEG version. Well worth checking out if you can. 

Early CD Rom titles were pretty exciting at the time. One of my favourites was Dune, which I picked up in a pack with 7th Guest. 
The animation for flying across the desert was so chilled out and the voice acting was pretty decent throughout. 

I also spent far too many hours playing Rebel Assault. A pretty terrible game in hind sight, but I loved it at the time. 

I was a big flight sim nerd too, and was so hyped for Microprose’s Harrier Jump Jet, with its Gouraud shaded hills. Unfortunately reviews were pretty poor and I bought AV8B Harrier Assault instead (later released as SVGA Harrier and also known as Flying Nightmares on 3DO). I never got the hang of vertical takeoff and landing, but the campaign was excellent. A much better sim than Microprose’s offering, even if it only offered flat shaded polygons.