Benny's 90s PC game obscure crap corner. Sometimes awesome

Benny

48 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Hidden & Dangerous

I played the hell out of the demo for Hidden & Dangerous. That first mission in the rain was fantastic, it was an instant pre-order for me. Never completed the full game though…

7 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I played the hell out of the demo for Hidden & Dangerous. That first mission in the rain was fantastic, it was an instant pre-order for me. Never completed the full game though…

Yep it's all I played, never got the full game!

Some more -

Outwars

Hellbender feat. Gillian Anderson

The mention of Hidden And Dangerous reminded me of another similar-ish game: Project IGI. Tried it at the time but stealth was never my strong point. Mind you it still looks amazing, or at least the landscapes do because they used an engine built for flight sims. There was a sequel but I never played it. 

Okay, this came out in 2000 so it's pushing the whole 90s thing, but hey it was developed in the 90s. 

Hidden & Dangerous, Outwars and Project IGI were all genuinely brilliant.

H&D was just a wonderful blend of stealth and strategy game, a shame nothing has come close since to matching it. Outwars was just a fun, jet-pack-fuelled blaster. And Project IGI just felt like it was from the future, with its big open levels, basic stealth options and fancy stuff like "being able to shoot through thin walls". Great games, all three.

I still have H&D on my shelf; it somehow survived various clear-outs and trade ins.

Recommended specs mention a Pentium 266Mhz processor or higher, 32MB RAM and "Supported Accelerated Graphics Card with 8 Mb onboard memory." Aww. :wub: 

There were so many odd DOS platform games I remember playing in the early 90s. It seems even the Commander Keen one I played was the more obscure in the series:

On 24/06/2021 at 18:50, StoooTube said:

The PC introduced me to so many awesome 3D racing sims, starting with Indy 500 (who didn’t love driving the wrong way and causing carnage?!), but for me the ultimate one was Car & Driver. Early SVGA graphics, shaded 3D models and incredibly wonky physics ftw!

I'll raise you:

1989 but someone has already maliciously posted a 2000 game so....

Bucky o'hare was another pc shareware game so I'm sure any pc owners had it but it's pretty damn obscure in the general scheme of things considering their was a cartoon on the telly at the time and so on. 

On a related note, if you enjoy old Shareware games then you'll enjoy the Shovelware Diggers videos on Youtube, where they get hold of big CD game compilations from the 90s and find ... well, not exactly gems but interesting stuff. 

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

Hellbender feat. Gillian Anderson

Interestingly, this was made by the same developer that made Terminal Velocity (posted earlier). It uses the same engine and even all the sound effects are the same. I think Terminal Velocity seems to be the more impressive game though, not only for being first but also for having more of the screen visible during gameplay. I remember at the time Microsoft were advertising the new MS Sidewinder joystick with copies of Hellbender thrown in.

37 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I still have H&D on my shelf; it somehow survived various clear-outs and trade ins.

Recommended specs mention a Pentium 266Mhz processor or higher, 32MB RAM and "Supported Accelerated Graphics Card with 8 Mb onboard memory." Aww. :wub: 

I’ve got the big box PC version and the Dreamcast version - which wasn’t nearly as good. 

I’ve just realised I have Interstate 76 on my shelf and I’ve never played it?!!!

12 minutes ago, Benny said:

Interestingly, this was made by the same developer that made Terminal Velocity (posted earlier). It uses the same engine and even all the sound effects are the same. I think Terminal Velocity seems to be the more impressive game though, not only for being first but also for having more of the screen visible during gameplay. I remember at the time Microsoft were advertising the new MS Sidewinder joystick with copies of Hellbender thrown in.

Wasn't the pack-in game Fury3 (the previous follow-up to Terminal Velocity)? Or perhaps they ended up using both as pack-in games over the years.

47 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Wasn't the pack-in game Fury3 (the previous follow-up to Terminal Velocity)? Or perhaps they ended up using both as pack-in games over the years.

Probably:

sidewinder.jpg.0df34db60efeccdb2d8f5f76c07b5b24.jpg

One I played to death on my Dad's Mac back in the day (and a shareware game I actually bought!), Escape Velocity:

2D Elite, basically. The third game in the series (Ev Nova) eventually saw a Windows release.

17 minutes ago, Benny said:

Probably:

sidewinder.jpg.0df34db60efeccdb2d8f5f76c07b5b24.jpg

I guess it makes sense that they'd keep using their self-published games in hardware bundles!

(To be fair, both games also made a lot more sense than the Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro's bundle that I recall of, er, MDK and Interstate 76. Great games, but not exactly ones I'd have picked to showcase a force feedback joystick!)

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

Hey, do Incoming or Forsaken qualify for this thread?

Forsaken is great, and there's a very good remaster available, well it's not a remaster as such, it still looks and plays like the original just made to work well on modern hardware:

1 hour ago, ravnaz said:

I'm getting closer 😅

Ah, the predecessor to the predecessor to Under a Killing Moon! Interesting how much the mood and gameplay of the series changed over time, from relatively straight sci-fi private dick story with awful action sequences, to full-on parody point and click first-person adventures. Always kept the use of digitised characters and voices though, albeit at dramatically different levels of technology and execution!

On 24/06/2021 at 16:05, b00dles said:

Dungeon keeper should probably get a mention and I've always thought it should have had a remake by now. Especially with D&D itself having a resurgence. 

Somebody did basically remake it:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/230190/War_for_the_Overworld/

It's dungeon keeper through and through. Good little game.

Some more of my favourite PC games from the 90s (we should extend the thread to include the 2000s too)

Call of Cthulhu: Prisoners of Ice - Another gem from Infogrames who churned out a lot of classic games. This game was exciting and creepy and only let down by being far too short. 

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream: A fantastic story, a true sci-fi horror master piece about an AI gone rogue. I'd love to see a modern take on the story, either as a game, movie or series. 

Lands of Lore: After being a massive fan of the Eye of the Beholder games on the Amiga I was so happy to finally learn that the PC got something even better. 

Hexen: Beyond Heretic - A fantastic and rock hard FPS/RPG/Adventure that used the Doom engine. If you got past the difficulty there was a gem of a game to explore with fantastic, hub based level design that's quite similar to Dark Souls 1. 

I think for PC games of the 2000s it should definitely be a new thread. There is something very specific about the 90s era where often even triple A games (if that was even a thing) on PC were still a bit janky. That and it was very much the era of obscure shareware.