IGNORED

Benny's awesome 90s PC game corner. Sometimes obscure.

Benny

2 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Outcast

This was one of those games that was in development forever. Famously used voxels and gained massive hype for its visuals alone pre-release, but many were disappointed with it's somewhat wobbly nature even if it reviewed reasonably well. 

The tale of a bloke getting pulled into another world, and learning of a whole new civilization and culture was actually rather well realised. The sense of scale in the landscape was pretty great and the music was wonderful. 

A sequel was in development but was never released, but the original game eventually got a remake a few years ago. 

An absolutely stunning game, the Crysis of its day I guess as it needed a beast of a PC to do it justice… and much like Crysis, the original looks more impressive than the remake. 

13 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I might have played an unhealthy amount of StarCraft 2 the past eleven years, but Total Annihilation is still by far my favourite RTS. It didn't get nearly enough recognition or praise.

You just reminded me of some of those ones of the time, hogs of war and another one with like a robot general character and it was all robots..

Even OG warcraft 1 and 2 being RTS games is probably obscure to a lot more people than I would think possible :blah:

3 minutes ago, b00dles said:

You just reminded me of some of those ones of the time, hogs of war and another one with like a robot general character and it was all robots..

Even OG warcraft 1 and 2 being RTS games is probably obscure to a lot more people than I would think possible :blah:

[edit]
image.png.5054f76808f95536202caa5244f1f1b9.png

Edited by SeanR

3 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

I was absolutely obsessed with this as a kid. My life was basically CM2, this and Carmageddon for about two years.

Looks trash now, but back then it was amazing to me.

I was addicted to this ! I loved it especially the soundtrack.

Over the years I have gotten a copy and had a session but I've never managed to find one with the soundtrack included ( it was cd audio) .

I remember a friend of my dad's come up once , saw me playing it and ended up staying for like 2 hours playing it. My parents weren't happy 🤣

Carmageddon 2 was another one i played a lot - shocking to go back to now though.

1995: Albion

I was obsessed with this, from the moment I saw its gigantic layered box on the shelf. It really blew apart my preconceptions of what an RPG could be. It didn't have to be about slapping dragons with swords, this had spaceships, laser guns, and alien cat people.

1995: Duke Nukem 3D

My brothers and I played a lot of this over our LAN. It was great fun seeing how many pipe bombs could be detonated at once before the game became unplayable.

1997: Carmageddeon

This was famous for its controversy, but to me it was all about the mine level, which featured a long shaft filled with crossbeams, and a barrel which always contained a pinball powerup at the top. Chucking your car down it and watching it spend a couple of minutes bouncing around, finally coming to rest a mangled wreck at the bottom, then re-inflating it with the repair button was highly enjoyable.

8 minutes ago, revlob said:

1995: Albion

I was obsessed with this, from the moment I saw its gigantic layered box on the shelf. It really blew apart my preconceptions of what an RPG could be. It didn't have to be about slapping dragons with swords, this had spaceships, laser guns, and alien cat people.

That completely passed me by, I've never heard of it. It looks great!

That video has also teased a vague memory of a space-based game involving flying around in a ship and then switchingto a top-down view to walk around the bases you landed at. The only thing I can semi-clearly remember is that the bar in every base had an arcade game you could play, in which you had to kill giant killer ants (I think?). Any ideas anyone?

6 hours ago, Jammy said:

Microprose’s Knights Of The Sky. Played it for ages, through the entire campaign, got to the last German ace I had to dispatch in my Sopwith or whatever I was flying by the end, shot him down and flew back to base in time for tea, and the game corrupted my save file. Never bothered playing it again.

Also, Geoff Crammond’s GP2. I was a wizard on that, just using keyboard.

I loved Knights of the Sky! Think I played it on Amiga though - I may have had it on PC too once I made the jump, but the Amiga’s where my nostalgia for it rests.

Dogfighting was ace, and nursing a bullet-ridden biplane home afterwards could be sooo tense! Pretty sure I couldn’t keep my kite in the air any longer one time, managed to land it and then puttered my way through no man’s land back to the airfield :lol:

Ah, man, Microprose Flight sims, many remade in the 90s. F19/F117A, Gunship/Gunship 2000. Knights of the Sky was excellent.

Another oddity was Subwar 2050:

Although the best sim of the 90s had to be SWotL - this isn't gameplay, but skip to 4:30 to feast your eyes on the best game manual ever!

1 minute ago, Dark Soldier said:

I remember the Carmageddon demo on (I think)  PC Zone's cover disk with its ten minute time limit, and a simple file tweak giving you unlinited time. Blew my mind as a 13yo.

And one of them had the green blood you could easily replace too. 

Me and a friend played one of those demos for a ludicrously long time, replaying frame by frame replays of us running over grannies and absolutely cracking up. :ph34r:

Although it was pretty much garbage even at the time, I did play a lot of fx fighter probably due to not having much else to play

image.png.4a24fe2f4fbf1ab5636138de6341b8fd.png

Not really sure how obscure to pc players though as they really tried to push it as a reasonable alternative to your virtua fighters and battle arena toshinden on PlayStation or arcade.

Oh and screamer, I think 2 more than 1, can't quite tell which one I really hammered from a quick look

image.png.ec2cbed3a82fde0ec17b4f2ab6da83c3.png

I don't know if I'm just posting pc games now though as I don't think it was that obscure or even forgotten but have it for the member berries.

2 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Forget Stunts. Stunt Island is where it’s at. I could never figure out how to do any level except Barnstorming but I still loved the idea of this game. 

Came in here to post this! Insanely ahead of it's time, a fully featured 3D machinima studio years before machinima was a thing. Programmed by the same guy (Adrian Stephens) who made Interphase on the Amiga/ST and the Vigilante 8 and True Crime games later on.

I was talking about this topic on Twitter the other day, sparked off by the PC Zone podcast. There was a real wild west era on the PC from the mid-90s to the mid-2000s where tons of games were coming out each month (some quite big budget and polished!) but sinking into obscurity because it was such a lottery to get games into mags and onto store shelves even, and the internet hadn't filled the void yet. (Until Home of the Underdogs got going.)

I remember Project IGI and the Hidden & Dangerous games being massively hyped at the time, completely forgotten today. Along with half a dozen Bullfrog games. Quite a high proportion of the games mentioned so far in the thread were on mag covers.

I remember that RanX poster being the most scandalous thing imaginable when I was about nine. Ubisoft keeping it classy.

Anyway to add something that hasn't been mentioned yet:

3 hours ago, PK said:

I loved Quarantine but I'm not sure if it was necessarily obscure?

image.png.6c5cc7ba1d982945d777bc896cde6a58.png

I can't get rid of that other YouTube video but I'm here to talk Quarantine. What a game! It was like Doom in a car but not Carmageddon, and with a story and actual progression. I remember a massive open world to drive around but it was probably nothing of the sort. 

True story. During my GCSEs in woodworking I was put in a separate room with a handful of others.  As I write this I realise now I was kept apart because I was useless, but whatever nobody needs wood these days. Anyway I hacked into the teachers email and  payroll and also managed to install Quarantine onto the school computers. It ran at less than 5fps and it was awesome. 

It was all about adventure games in the '90s for me. Trying to think of ones I actually played instead of poring over in PC Zone et al.

Lost In Time

A mash-up of FMV and traditional computer graphics from Coktel Vision.

Les Manley: Search for the King

A knock-off Leisure Suit Larry - as described here. I seem to remember enjoying it more, though.

Bad Mojo

A game where you play as a cockroach. I only got round to playing a year or so on GoG. Surprisingly good for what it is, which is you as a cockroach.

Normality

Even for the radical 90s, this had an annoying main character. Can't say I'm too fond of it now, but it was a decent attempt at trying to move adventure games into the third dimension.

8 hours ago, PeteJ said:

I can't get rid of that other YouTube video but I'm here to talk Quarantine. What a game! It was like Doom in a car but not Carmageddon, and with a story and actual progression. I remember a massive open world to drive around but it was probably nothing of the sort. 

Yeah Quarantine was superb! I'm fairly sure you could do a reasonable level of customisation as well, it was like a killer taxi RPG.

Again, not sure if this counts as obscure, but I remember being terrified by Prisoner of Ice, a horror point & click game:

Not massively obscure as it was a big release on PC at the time, but I remember waking up on the day this released and asking my dick of a cousin to go and buy it for me as he was 19. He charged me.an additional £10 to do it, costing me all my saved cash at the time. Just turned 14 and I was a typical edgy teenager.

That soundtrack though. The muck and grime.  Completely fucked up rock hard masterpiece. Seeing a fully fleshed out 'city' location again blew my mind.

• Benny changed the title to Benny's awesome 90s PC game corner. Sometimes obscure.