IGNORED

Benny's awesome 90s PC game corner. Sometimes obscure.

Benny

Wargasm

From a time when DiD were hitting out some great flight sims (F22) they stuck this one out. I quite enjoyed the demo but don't think I ever got the full game.

Die by the Sword

A 3D melee combat game where you had full control over the sword via the mouse. It was totally stupid and didn't work at all, but was very fun trying to make it work!

Severance: Blade of Darkness (2001 so only just missing out)

Incredible lighting and graphics for the time, but quite repetitive. Watch the video below and tell me that doesn't look like a Souls game?

Wargasm came free with my Voodoo Banshee.  With hindsight, I should not have trusted the guy building my PC to recommend a card.  Apparently the Banshee was the future.  I remember it being pretty shit.  Wargasm never left much of an impression.

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Was Pinball Dreams the one where the tables were linked, so you accessed them like features on the main table? That was good, spent a lot of time on it. 

Can’t remember in regards to Pinball Dreams but Psycho Pinball had that mechanic.

Pinball dreams and fantasies were both essentially very normal pinball unlike psycho or I think it was epic pinball we had on our school macs. The tables were generally rip offs of existing real tables with varying degrees of plagiarism involved. 

I played them fucking loads, that guys score on the funfair table is weak :P

Dreams also has an absolute banger of a loading tune.

1 hour ago, klargon said:

Wargasm came free with my Voodoo Banshee.  With hindsight, I should not have trusted the guy building my PC to recommend a card.  Apparently the Banshee was the future.  I remember it being pretty shit.  Wargasm never left much of an impression.

The Banshee wasn’t as fast as a Voodoo2, but it was still great at the time (plus you didn’t need a separate 2D card). If I had the money to put together a retro Pentium 2 today I’d probably still go for that card.

I only played the demo of Wargasm, seemed alright. I think I’ve got the full game somewhere…

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

yes.

sometimes I like to confuse sleepwalker with clumsy colin action biker.

no idea why. 

Action Biker was fantastic on C64! One of my favourite games growing up.

Back to the 90s though, I enjoyed the new LGR video about Iron Assault. By the guys who made Screamer…

On 02/07/2021 at 18:28, StoooTube said:

The Banshee wasn’t as fast as a Voodoo2, but it was still great at the time (plus you didn’t need a separate 2D card). If I had the money to put together a retro Pentium 2 today I’d probably still go for that card.

I only played the demo of Wargasm, seemed alright. I think I’ve got the full game somewhere…

I had one and in many ways it was the future. A beefy 3d and 2d card. It was like a half way house between the voodoo 1 and 2 powerwise but that was pretty useful for a lot of people.  I remeber waiting for hours and hours to download the demo of Quake 3 arena and it running really well on that card.

I remember getting my new Banshee-loaded PC home with a copy of Unreal and Curse of Monkey Island.

Unreal was mind blowing. And yes, I kept clicking the “3D Acceleration” button on the Monkey Island menu 😆

• 9 months later...

Rise from the gwave!

By a process of investigation and elimination, I managed to unearth a truly terrible anime game from the depths of my memory that was once supplied on a PC coverdisc. I remember at the time just being amazed that you could get this sort of thing in computer games now.

There's always a video. Always.

Cybercon 3 on the Amiga. My main memories of it were being a) really immersive and weird, but b) impenetrably confusing and difficult. 

would love to play again at more than 4fps

• 4 weeks later...

Having been on a bit of a gaming nostalgia trip recently with finding a lot of retro stuff, I was reminded that of all the games I played on the PC back on the day, the one game I never played that I wished I had bought way back then was the Blade Runner adventure game.

I always thought it would have been perfect for me but I just never got round to buying it. And of course, it went out of print and became impossible to find after that. Well considering it is now on GoG, I decided to finally rectify that one point and click adventure game that had slipped through my fingers, and I'll be playing it for the first time tonight.

Time to flip the turtle on its back...

Is that the Westwood one? I thought it was great, they nailed the feeling of Blade runner though I recall it being extremely short. From memory there was an element of randomness to each playthrough however, so different characters would turn out to be replicants. No idea if that actually worked though as I only played it once!

Yep, the randomly-selected replicants thing did indeed work! Blade Runner is brilliant, one of the very best non-comedy point and click adventures; really only The Longest Journey and The Last Express give it a run for its money, to my mind.

I’m sure I read Nightdive Studios were working on a remaster of Bladerunner?!

I never played the original, although it’s definitely on my bucket list. A remaster would be welcome!

Finished it early this morning. I didn't know about the randomly selected Replicants thing, that's really clever. Probably added to the experience that I didn't know!

By dated I was referring to the CG rendering being a bit jarring now, but it's serviceable enough once you're used to it. My ending was

Spoiler

Jetting off to space with my Replicant brothers, having wasted the police chief who framed me and the other cop who wouldn't let me go :lol:

Also I think if I actually had ended up playing Blade Runner in the 90s I think it would have ended up becoming one of my favourite games to nostalgically remember fondly. Taking it in context of the time it came out it's amazing.

One thing I'm glad about is it uses Redbook audio - one of the problems I've encountered when exploring nostalgic 90s PC games with DOSBox, is that the General MIDI just isn't the same as the AWE32 music I remember, so the nostalgia is literally muted in that aspect. I'm not sure how you get round that without dedicated hardware.